E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Help! Incorrect exhaust fluid warning, P20EE & P207F codes

09-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #23
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@FixMyVW View Post
Hey guys, I don't know for a fact that this issue is the same as the one that we deal with for X5D customers, but I've had a few X5D computers sent in this year for this problem, the correct exhaust fluid is in the tank and everything is in perfect working order but those codes keep coming back...it's not a hardware issue, it's a tedious PITA software problem we can fix. The only way BMW dealers can fix it is by replacing the DDE.

Replace the DDE - not a chance! SCR systems can be a challenge to troubleshoot at times and the independents w/o ISTA do not have a clue.
While I acknowledge the durability of some SCR components over the long term is a problem - petrol engines also deal with similar emission issues due to injectors, ignition coils, lambda sensors...blah, blah...
"incorrect Fluid Warning" is displayed when the SCR system efficiency is below the allowed threshold as mandated by the agencies.
Troubleshoot and repair the problem - DEF quality, DEF delivery, NOx sensor monitoring, or least likely SCR catalyst.
If you want to own the best diesel vehicles in the US or Canada - best plan to deal with long term issues to meet emissions and keep the MIL off.
They all can be repaired and in most cases a for a lot less than a tune/ABC delete and the problem it brings esp. in OBD emission states.

Only my opinion based upon extensive experience and an offer to help those who agree.
Just a rumor maybe, but ...word has it that after VW dieselgate the EPA has become more attentive in investigating reports of shops tampering with emissions.

As stated: Civil Penalty Policy - Vehicle and Engine Certification
Requirements under the Clean Air Act.
"EPA reserves the option, in appropriate circumstances, of seeking a penalty that might put a company in severe financial distress".

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...y-policy_0.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #24
Andrew@FixMyVW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
Replace the DDE - not a chance! SCR systems can be a challenge to troubleshoot at times and the independents w/o ISTA do not have a clue.
While I acknowledge the durability of some SCR components over the long term is a problem - petrol engines also deal with similar emission issues due to injectors, ignition coils, lambda sensors...blah, blah...
"incorrect Fluid Warning" is displayed when the SCR system efficiency is below the allowed threshold as mandated by the agencies.
Troubleshoot and repair the problem - DEF quality, DEF delivery, NOx sensor monitoring, or least likely SCR catalyst.
If you want to own the best diesel vehicles in the US or Canada - best plan to deal with long term issues to meet emissions and keep the MIL off.
They all can be repaired and in most cases a for a lot less than a tune/ABC delete and the problem it brings esp. in OBD emission states.

Only my opinion based upon extensive experience and an offer to help those who agree.
Just a rumor maybe, but ...word has it that after VW dieselgate the EPA has become more attentive in investigating reports of shops tampering with emissions.

As stated: Civil Penalty Policy - Vehicle and Engine Certification
Requirements under the Clean Air Act.
"EPA reserves the option, in appropriate circumstances, of seeking a penalty that might put a company in severe financial distress".

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...y-policy_0.pdf
Wow...you went from zero to full retard mode faster than a Stage 3 runs the 1/4 mile....
What gives?

My post had nothing to do with doing a DPF delete. I've had to fix several DDEs this year for X5 35Ds that had a persistent code for "incorrect adblue fluid warning". These SUVS are still running today with active DPF and adblue is consumed at its normal volume.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #25
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Quote:
Wow...you went from zero to full retard mode faster than a Stage 3 runs the 1/4 mile....
What gives?

My post had nothing to do with doing a DPF delete. I've had to fix several DDEs this year for X5 35Ds that had a persistent code for "incorrect adblue fluid warning". These SUVS are still running today with active DPF and adblue is consumed at its normal volume.
I was thinking the same thing. Somewhere in the middle of his crucifying you there may have been something of value.....

or perhaps not!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #26
Dazza335iC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F15 35d

Garage List
2000 E39 M5 Dinan  [0.00]
2017 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Not necessary the case...if one of the NOx sensors is lazy or not responding correctly (NOx ppm too high or too low) it affects the DEF dosing adaptation.
Too much which can lead to "ammonia slip" is as bad as too little.
But - how to know which NOx sensor may be at fault. So, if neither has ever been replaced and the they pass the ISTA test - the recommendation is to replace both. The SCR catalysts do age, but the sensors age or become poisoned sooner.
Correct, ammonia slip is a likely possibility. If the metering valve were stuck open or otherwise overdosing, it would cause a spike in readings from the downstream NOx sensor, and the system would try to add even more DEF to compensate. A self-reinforcing cycle. Replacing the valve is not bad, but the sensors are damned expensive. However I highly doubt the pre-NOx sensor is damaged; it is likely just the post-NOX sensor.

Quote:
What was the result of the ISTA test? Are you covered by the emission warranty?
What is an ISTA test?

No, there is one warranty that cover almost all emissions systems up to 7yr/70k, but my car is at 78k, so it falls under the EPA emissions warranty of 8yr/80k. That warranty however only covers the ECU, catalytic converter, and I think one other part. None of the SCR system components are covered.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #27
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Strangely, I'll vote to BELIEVE "incorrect fluid" (but blame THE STEALERSHIP)

Personal experience & lots of it since I have a DEF leak (consumption 1.5-2gal / 1000mi, can see it drip if idling) thaf Im too lazy to chase down and patch:

1) All DEF is NOT created equal
2) NO amount of "Peak Blue" will clear DEF countdowns, and aforementioned Peak Blue will crystallize like a mother
3) Supertech (Walmart generic) & Autozone-branded generics WILL work and clear counter and NOT block up everything in sight

Well thats my 2 cents, having cleared the DEF countdown like 20 times this year now....
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #28
Dazza335iC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
Strangely, I'll vote to BELIEVE "incorrect fluid" (but blame THE STEALERSHIP)

Personal experience & lots of it since I have a DEF leak (consumption 1.5-2gal / 1000mi, can see it drip if idling) thaf Im too lazy to chase down and patch:

1) All DEF is NOT created equal
2) NO amount of "Peak Blue" will clear DEF countdowns, and aforementioned Peak Blue will crystallize like a mother
3) Supertech (Walmart generic) & Autozone-branded generics WILL work and clear counter and NOT block up everything in sight

Well thats my 2 cents, having cleared the DEF countdown like 20 times this year now....
Long story short, the system was overdosing and the downstream NOx sensor was picking up on the excess urea ("ammonia slip") and interpreted that as incorrect DEF. The DEF in the tank was BMW-branded AdBlue and not suspect in any way, as even after they flushed/refilled the system with fresh DEF, the warning remained.

It's all water under the bridge now though. My JR Stage 2 tune turned off the SCR system, greatly reduced the operation of the EGR system (CBU prevention) and gave a nice little 60hp/80lb-ft power bump
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #29
Greck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 2011 335d / e70 2011 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
It's all water under the bridge now though. My JR Stage 2 tune turned off the SCR system, greatly reduced the operation of the EGR system (CBU prevention) and gave a nice little 60hp/80lb-ft power bump
How the new power feels? Huge difference medium or how?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #30
Dazza335iC
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greck View Post
How the new power feels? Huge difference medium or how?
Massive difference! It's insane. Huge amounts of guy-twisting power at every RPM, and extremely smooth too. The extra power from the JBD always felt inconsistent, like the dyno graph would have lots of spikes in it.

Anyway, I discovered yesterday, to my horror, that my DEF tank was NOT attached to the car! The main 2 hanging connections, as in the studs that hand down from the metal plate in the trunk floor, go through the DEF tank, and are secured on the bottom with nuts, were not there. At least, the nuts were not there. So the DEF tank was just resting on the rear mufflers... Some idiot had tried taking the DEF tank out at some point and utterly failed to re-secure it when they were done. Colossal idiots. Anyway, got that all fixed up.

I also noticed there's still DEF in my exhaust, despite removing fuses and unplugging the metering valve. Called Jarek and he theorized that it's syphoning down via gravity, and that my metering valve is stuck open, allowing it to pass into the exhaust. Given that the dealer diagnosed the original problem as a stuck open valve, that seems highly likely. So I'll need to disconnect the pipe and plug it securely.

Oh, and I got an SES and two more codes...P0471 and P0473, which are related to the exhaust pressure sensor(s). I think one of them may be clogged with soot, become disconnected from its vacuum line, or is faulty. Time to dig in there again...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 05:23 AM   #31
michael557
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 35d 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
PM sent.

Pulled the metering valve and found no build-up at all.

However there was evidence of leaking around the inlet to the metering valve.

Also saw that I have the correct, updated version of the mixing vane.

Car is at the dealer as of this morning, with just 74 miles remaining. I authorized an oil change (it was due), and part of that service is a full DEF fill. I asked them to flush AND fill, since there's the possibility of contamination. Additionally they're doing their standard 1.5hrs of diagnostic for diesel engines, so hopefully I'll know more by next tuesday (doubtful they'll get to it today, given how busy they were).

In other news, the 320i loaner I have now isn't nearly as slow as I had been fearing; I credit that to the ZF 8-spd trans and the 550lbs it saves over the 335d
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #32
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
There is possible way to disable the no start miles counter. If you are getting close to the 0 miles, drop me a PM.
Do share?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #33
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

Quote:
Hey guys, I don't know for a fact that this issue is the same as the one that we deal with for X5D customers, but I've had a few X5D computers sent in this year for this problem, the correct exhaust fluid is in the tank and everything is in perfect working order but those codes keep coming back...it's not a hardware issue, it's a tedious PITA software problem we can fix. The only way BMW dealers can fix it is by replacing the DDE.

I know this is old, but having this issue with my X5.
Can you tell me what I need to do to clear this? I have done everything the test plan calls for and still can’t get the no start to go away. The scr test in ISTA+ says the SCR is functioning trouble free. But it’s not clearing the no start.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 02:55 AM   #34
denisc1977
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw x5 35d

Garage List
2011 Bmw X5  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Me too

Quote:
There is possible way to disable the no start miles counter. If you are getting close to the 0 miles, drop me a PM.

I need to reset this mile thing as well. Anyone have the ista-d and ista-p. Cant pm yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:03 AM   #35
BMWX535D4111
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

im 2 miles before no star can you please help me

Quote:
2011 BMW X5 35D HAS ALREADY ONLY 2MILES NO STAR ON MY DASHBOARD CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WHERE CAN I GO OR WHERE CAN I CALL YOU
fxink@live.com is my email i hope you see this !
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:27 AM   #36
BMWX535D4111
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D

2011 bmw x5 35d

I need help ! I have 2miles no star on my 2011 bmw x5 35d can you help me please
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 03:21 PM   #37
Cali00.
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35d

“Miles Till no start”

Any luck I have a count down also…
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 07:59 AM   #38
dave_rodriguez96
Registered
Rep
Drives: 11' e90 335D lci

help

Quote:
i am 4 miles from 0 and i am in need of this info. sorry to bring up such and old thread anything helps. thanks.

2011 335d e90 lci
Appreciate 0