E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > GFB DV+ Weird Sounds

02-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

GFB DV+ Weird Sounds

I installed the DV+ diverter valve along with a PS2 and the new sounds from the turbo/DV are a little concerning. I don't hear compressor surge, so that's good, but the sounds it makes releasing partial boost (<7psi) sounds very odd and unhealthy. It also makes a high-ish pitched hum sound when lightly accelerating (20-30% throttle) which is particularly annoying and sort of embarrassing; It sounds like something is wrong with the car. It is quite loud through the Injen intake.

I did install the "sport" spring but I was curious if anyone has removed it for more of a stock acting DV?

I do feel the additional "sportiness" of the spring and its ability to maintain boost more often for better on-off-on performance. But the intake is constantly in boost, even idling at a stop its bouncing around 0.1 psi of boost. Cruising around normally it's 0.3-0.8 psi. I much prefer the stock sound and function, and not constantly being in boost its better for fuel economy.

Did check for boost leaks and don't have any.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I installed the DV+ diverter valve along with a PS2 and the new sounds from the turbo/DV are a little concerning. I don't hear compressor surge, so that's good, but the sounds it makes releasing partial boost (<7psi) sounds very odd and unhealthy. It also makes a high-ish pitched hum sound when lightly accelerating (20-30% throttle) which is particularly annoying and sort of embarrassing; It sounds like something is wrong with the car. It is quite loud through the Injen intake.

I did install the "sport" spring but I was curious if anyone has removed it for more of a stock acting DV?

I do feel the additional "sportiness" of the spring and its ability to maintain boost more often for better on-off-on performance. But the intake is constantly in boost, even idling at a stop its bouncing around 0.1 psi of boost. Cruising around normally it's 0.3-0.8 psi. I much prefer the stock sound and function, and not constantly being in boost its better for fuel economy.

Did check for boost leaks and don't have any.
Depending of the way your car is tuned your DV+ can do some very weird sounds. I have the DV+ with the main spring (Sport Mode) and I still have chirping noises while also having a high pitch whine when boost is building under heavy load, it kinda sounds like a supercharger/straight cut gearbox.
      02-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Depending of the way your car is tuned your DV+ can do some very weird sounds. I have the DV+ with the main spring (Sport Mode) and I still have chirping noises while also having a high pitch whine when boost is building under heavy load, it kinda sounds like a supercharger/straight cut gearbox.
At the moment I'm running MHD Stage 0 while I ensure there are no leaks and work out any kinks. I have a Wedge tune waiting but need to install the FX-150 hpfp first.

The few vids I found online of N55 with DV+ don't sound like my car. The videos sounded stock in fact.

I think I'll be removing the sport spring in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
At the moment I'm running MHD Stage 0 while I ensure there are no leaks and work out any kinks. I have a Wedge tune waiting but need to install the FX-150 hpfp first.

The few vids I found online of N55 with DV+ don't sound like my car. The videos sounded stock in fact.

I think I'll be removing the sport spring in the near future.
What air intake system are you running. I will try grabbing a video of how my car sounds.
      02-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What air intake system are you running. I will try grabbing a video of how my car sounds.
Injen, which exaggerates the DV sounds substantially. I loved how the stock DV sounded even just putting around town.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #6
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

Just replace it with something that's actually up to the job in the first place and is plug and play. I did it with my N55 M2 and haven't looked back.

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/b...lumb-back-vr9/

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/b...dual-port-vr9/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

The DV+ is the diverter valve upgrade that's the most proven out there. Almost all aftermarket hybrid turbo you buy recommends you to add the GFB DV+ as an upgrade.

If there is one thing you can't say about the DV+ is that's not up to the job.

ferocity02 I really tried taking a video but my engine is too loud so you can't really hear the DV purge.
      02-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The DV+ is the diverter valve upgrade that's the most proven out there. Almost all aftermarket hybrid turbo you buy recommends you to add the GFB DV+ as an upgrade.

If there is one thing you can't say about the DV+ is that's not up to the job.

ferocity02 I really tried taking a video but my engine is too loud so you can't really hear the DV purge.
I had no idea that turbosmart made a DV for N55. Pretty cool to see more options.

I'll try to get some video of the sounds I'm hearing this week.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #9
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

OP

It's "normal" to see boost pressures at or around 0.5psi of ambient when cruising around. This has been something I've tried to tackle personally on my tunes to mitigate, but we are talking about so little boost at so low of a volume that it's a non-issue in my opinion.

As far as the noise is concerned, welcome to how mods work

Lastly, boost is NOT correlated with fuel consumption. If you want to link two variables together, MAF would be your ticket in on this. Additionally, stock boost control uses the throttle plate to restrict air flow into the manifold. As such, if you see a few pounds under cruise, your manifold pressure is (more than likely) right on target. If your hardware revision supports the ability to log boost (mani) I would do so to ease the mind.

MAF is a better metric as it directly links the amount of air entering the engine (and consequently, the fuel to maintain AFR).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #10
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is a video of the sounds I am hearing. I definitely think something is wrong. The whistling sound on accel is really annoying, sounds like a whistle tip (woo wooooo). I'd be very surprised is this is normal and doesnt bother anyone else.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Here is a video of the sounds I am hearing. I definitely think something is wrong. The whistling sound on accel is really annoying, sounds like a whistle tip (woo wooooo). I'd be very surprised is this is normal and doesnt bother anyone else.

Is the GFB seated properly? From what I remember when I installed a GFB on my 2014 A4, you had to swap the oring from stock DV over to the GFB. It was also a good idea to slightly oil the outside of the piston so it could slide easily.
      02-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #12
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Hmmm it sounds more like a kind of howling. What do your boost figures look like?
      02-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm it sounds more like a kind of howling. What do your boost figures look like?
Boost seems okay, but I've been gently on it because I'm running the OTS MHD Stage 0 map on the PS2 turbo, although I think it should be safe???

Pretty sure it's seated and assembled properly with the o-ring and everything. I did not oil the piston because the directions made no mention of it. However it moved very smoothly w/o oil.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #14
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Boost seems okay, but I've been gently on it because I'm running the OTS MHD Stage 0 map on the PS2 turbo, although I think it should be safe???

Pretty sure it's seated and assembled properly with the o-ring and everything. I did not oil the piston because the directions made no mention of it. However it moved very smoothly w/o oil.
Managed to take videos where if you closely listen you can hear how my DV+ sounds. Because of the loud engine and exhaust it's hard to hear all of the detail but there is light chirchping after some big boost building.

02-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #15
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Mine sounds more like the first one (I have a PS2 and GFB). It hoots and honks and chirps and sometimes wooshes like normal valves do.

I can very easily make mine sound like the fast and furious Supra (Choo-choo-choo-choo-choo).

I'll be switching to the Turbosmart shortly - I've never been comfortable with the noises the GFB made - it sure does sound like compressor surge (even if it isn't) and for peace of mind I'll change it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #16
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post
Mine sounds more like the first one (I have a PS2 and GFB). It hoots and honks and chirps and sometimes wooshes like normal valves do.

I can very easily make mine sound like the fast and furious Supra (Choo-choo-choo-choo-choo).

I'll be switching to the Turbosmart shortly - I've never been comfortable with the noises the GFB made - it sure does sound like compressor surge (even if it isn't) and for peace of mind I'll change it out.
Are you running the sport spring in it? If you are, why not try removing it first.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #17
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Because changing the diverter valve with the turbo in the car is a huge pain in the ass. If I’m taking it out, and have any doubt, I’m replacing it with something I know works. Not doing this twice!
Appreciate 1
kanovic456.00
      03-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #18
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I removed the "main" spring and the sounds did not really change. It does behave more like stock now which I prefer. Oh well...

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #19
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I removed the "main" spring and the sounds did not really change. It does behave more like stock now which I prefer. Oh well...
Good to know, so I won't have to go through all the pain of switching the spring just to try that. Thanks for the insight.
      03-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #20
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know, so I won't have to go through all the pain of switching the spring just to try that. Thanks for the insight.
Yeah it sucks because the howling on mild accel is super annoying.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Welp - I switched to the Turbosmart valve last night and I'm so far not impressed. It's the dual port version and sounds really nice when you let off at higher boost levels, but I still get the turkey warbler sound at part throttle I was trying to eliminate.

I have doubts in my installation though, because I didn't install the GFB originally, I just matched it's orientation when I put the TS valve in. On my E90 with the turbo installed in the car, looking at the compressor wheel end, the DV's electrical connector port was at the 9 o'clock position. Is this right?

When I put the TS valve in, I just matched that orientation. On the TS valve instructions, it was warning to match up the recirc ports to the turbo ports. I neglected to do this because I just followed Kies Motorsports video - but their install was on an F30.

Anyone done one of these recently? The only positions (due to physical limitations of the area) for the pigtail connector on the valve to point are either 9 o'clock, or 5'oclock (the upper 12-1 o'clock position is blocked by other things).

TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #22
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post
Welp - I switched to the Turbosmart valve last night and I'm so far not impressed. It's the dual port version and sounds really nice when you let off at higher boost levels, but I still get the turkey warbler sound at part throttle I was trying to eliminate.

I have doubts in my installation though, because I didn't install the GFB originally, I just matched it's orientation when I put the TS valve in. On my E90 with the turbo installed in the car, looking at the compressor wheel end, the DV's electrical connector port was at the 9 o'clock position. Is this right?

When I put the TS valve in, I just matched that orientation. On the TS valve instructions, it was warning to match up the recirc ports to the turbo ports. I neglected to do this because I just followed Kies Motorsports video - but their install was on an F30.

Anyone done one of these recently? The only positions (due to physical limitations of the area) for the pigtail connector on the valve to point are either 9 o'clock, or 5'oclock (the upper 12-1 o'clock position is blocked by other things).

TIA
Does the TS BPV have a "flat mark" indicating the orientation?

I have very limited hardware knowledge of the BPV on these compresors, but the TS documentation states such:

"Plumb Back Orientation Indicator flat on the flange, acts as a visual cue to install the BOV in the correct position relative to the plumb back pathway"

"If your BOV has a flat featured on the flange (indicated in yellow below), this flat is to indicate the orientation of the plumb back ports relative to the factory plumb back re-circulation path. This is to ensure maximum re-circulation performance."

hopefully this helps and I apologize if I missed the mark. This is next up on my list, but I have been subscribed to your thread to learn.

EDIT - Pic2

Last edited by anjuna; 03-03-2020 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0