E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AC delete

04-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

AC delete

Hello all. I have a 07 e92 328xi that was starting to have some belt issues. Replaced belt and all pullies, and within in a couple of months it still some had some issues. Looked like the AC pulley wasn't spinning true so I did a AC delete using the form, thank you , and again put a new belt on. I get a squeal here and there. Against better judgement, I tried belt dressing which only works temporarily. Still squealing on starts and going into first gear on occasions and it's driving me nuts as I have nothing else to do but replace the AC, which I never use. Any insight here as to why this continues to happen? The belt is the correct width and has the proper amount of v's in it. My brother is a good mechanic as well and it's stumping him too. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

As you're aware, your description points unambiguously to a bad compressor. Not sure what sort of insights you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Just to understand correctly, you’ve installed the shorter belt and have bypassed the AC compressor, but you’re still getting noise? Not sure I’m following.

If this isn’t the case and your AC compressor is still being driven, then it is possible to install a shorter belt, thereby removing it from the system. I’d imagine this would solve your issue.
      04-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
Hello all. I have a 07 e92 328xi that was starting to have some belt issues. Replaced belt and all pullies, and within in a couple of months it still some had some issues. Looked like the AC pulley wasn't spinning true so I did a AC delete using the form, thank you , and again put a new belt on. I get a squeal here and there. Against better judgement, I tried belt dressing which only works temporarily. Still squealing on starts and going into first gear on occasions and it's driving me nuts as I have nothing else to do but replace the AC, which I never use. Any insight here as to why this continues to happen? The belt is the correct width and has the proper amount of v's in it. My brother is a good mechanic as well and it's stumping him too. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Sorry I was not clear enough. The AC pulley has been deleted. AC compressor is still there but no belt is on it and I never turn it on. The squealing I'm hearing is still belt related, or tensioner or idol pulley related but it is all new. I guess the insight I'm looking for would be from others with a n52 motor that did an AC delete and had success.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I was not clear enough. The AC pulley has been deleted. AC compressor is still there but no belt is on it and I never turn it on. The squealing I'm hearing is still belt related, or tensioner or idol pulley related but it is all new. I guess the insight I'm looking for would be from others with a n52 motor that did an AC delete and had success.
If you've bypassed the compressor, I'm confused why you would look toward replacing the A/C to prevent the noise.

Another point on which I'm not clear: was the squealing present before you replaced the belt, tensioner, and idlers? What "belt issues" were you having before starting your work?

If the squealing was not present at the beginning, what brands of parts did you install?

If the squealing was present at the beginning, you need to look at the remaining possibilities. The alternator and PS pump are the obvious suspects. Can you reproduce the problem reliably by revving while in neutral?

A squeal on start or going into gear is
1. Bad belt
2. Insufficient belt tension - defective tensioner or belt too long
3. Excessive drag from driven accessory - typically accompanied by continuing bearing noise throughout operation
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Quote:
If you've bypassed the compressor, I'm confused why you would look toward replacing the A/C to prevent the noise.

Another point on which I'm not clear: was the squealing present before you replaced the belt, tensioner, and idlers? What "belt issues" were you having before starting your work?

If the squealing was not present at the beginning, what brands of parts did you install?

If the squealing was present at the beginning, you need to look at the remaining possibilities. The alternator and PS pump are the obvious suspects. Can you reproduce the problem reliably by revving while in neutral?

A squeal on start or going into gear is
1. Bad belt
2. Insufficient belt tension - defective tensioner or belt too long
3. Excessive drag from driven accessory - typically accompanied by continuing bearing noise throughout operation
I only will replace the AC if I can't resolve the belt squeal.

It began to squeal around 115k on original parts. I used an FCP kit to replace it and around 5k miles on new belt and pullies, they began to squeal too. That's when I noticed the AC pulley wobbling a bit. I deleted it, and was fine with a smaller belt for a short period of time.

Alternator and PS system looks good, sounds good.

No bearing noises. For 147K miles, she sounds amazing!

I suppose after replacing the belt and pullies and then again to a shorter belt with an AC delete, I figured something larger was happening. While the shorter belt I used works, perhaps something a bit shorter will provide more tension as after reading some responses here, specifically like the one I'm responding to, in concert with a discussion with a coworker who had deleted a few AC systems over the years, I'm thinking I need a little shorter belt. Thanks for the feedback here.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was using a 435k6 with the delete, will be grabbing a 430k6 tomorrow hoping a bit less belt will provide a bit more tension and will resolve the squeals. Thanks for the ongoing feedback fam.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

is that a gates belt? got any pictures of how it's routed?

depending on what happens with the steering rack in my E30 I may end up deleting the power steering pump too. That will make routing and tensioning the belt interesting..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
is that a gates belt? got any pictures of how it's routed?

depending on what happens with the steering rack in my E30 I may end up deleting the power steering pump too. That will make routing and tensioning the belt interesting..
I'm not sure of the brand yet as I haven't picked up the belt. I'll be getting it from autozone though. I grabbed this pic from the form here so thank you to some user here. If I can ever get rid of the squeal, it's definitely a nice little project to do. Car feels a bit tighter with the AC off of the system.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Schmitz241.00
      04-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #10
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

430k6 was too small. Going to try a 433k6.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #11
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
My guess is that with the different belt routing, there isn't enough tension according to your pic.

I would clean all the pulleys really well to get rid of the belt dressing.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think you can get there with the right size belt but yeah, the angle of the tensioner isn't ideal.

I wonder if it would be better to leave the pulley where the AC compressor used to be so you can use the original belt. squealing belts are fricking annoying (one reason I don't want to stick with an M20, the stupid V-belts).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep

Personally, I don't think you can get there with any length belt. As the previous 2 posters indicated, the tensioner can't do its job at that angle.
With a good used compressor, a few cans of refrigerant, and a borrowed manifold & vacuum pump, you can fix this thing for under $200.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #14
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Unless you don't want A/C. Then a solution is needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #15
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Personally, I don't think you can get there with any length belt. As the previous 2 posters indicated, the tensioner can't do its job at that angle.
With a good used compressor, a few cans of refrigerant, and a borrowed manifold & vacuum pump, you can fix this thing for under $200.
AC works fine, pumps very cold air. It appeared visually that the pulley on the condenser unit was wobbling a bit. I believe that is what caused the original belt squeal as to why I am messing around with smaller belts and deleting it from the system.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #16
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Problem solved. 433K6 with the AC delete fits perfect. Fits like the oem belt did with the AC. Somewhere on here it is suggested 435K6 which always squealed on starts. 433K6 is the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:06 PM   #17
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Why are you deleting the AC if it works fine?

I live in CT as well and did without AC for one summer with my Jeep and the humidity was killer.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 01:20 AM   #18
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

I live in CT as well and did without AC for one summer with my Jeep and the humidity was killer.
A never use it anyway. AC is fine, was getting plenty of cool air but it appeared the pulley on the actual unit was wobbling and causing belt noises. No rush to fix something I don't use as it appears it's a lot of work to swap the pulley from the AC compressor.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 05:17 AM   #19
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post

A never use it anyway. AC is fine, was getting plenty of cool air but it appeared the pulley on the actual unit was wobbling and causing belt noises. No rush to fix something I don't use as it appears it's a lot of work to swap the pulley from the AC compressor.
Also ct, I agree that humidity here sucks but I only really want ac a few days a year.
Appreciate 0