E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Control Arm Bushing Upgrade for XI?

05-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #23
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor001
There's no need to cut these in half when installing. You can press the old ones out and press these in in one piece. For noise....did you use the grease and did you tighten the bolts at loaded ride height? I have the red strongflex poly bushings and they are silent.
Why didn't you get the yellow bushings and what grease to use on them ?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
Didn't want to go to hard with the yellows, but I may switch in the future from red to yellow. The grease should have come with the bushings. I know if you can press in the red ones, then you should be able to press in the yellow ones as well since they are harder.
      06-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #25
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Didn't want to go to hard with the yellows, but I may switch in the future from red to yellow. The grease should have come with the bushings. I know if you can press in the red ones, then you should be able to press in the yellow ones as well since they are harder.
Ok thanks I'm going back to order the yellow ones
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:57 PM   #26
montegokid94
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

I am extremely happy I did not order new upper/lower control arms. I was 100% convinced they were shot but my wheels just needed to be balanced.

I will still throw these on since my friend can probably throw these on for $20-$30. How hard of a job is it if you have a press?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #27
Knonsense
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi.

These guys offer Lemforder arms, and are working on a beefier xi-specific front control arm, with proprietary spherical bearings. i have no idea on pricing, haven't looked that far into it, but these arms on my to do list

https://www.facebook.com/SyncroDesig...o?tab=overview
Prudhoe & Back.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #28
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knonsense
These guys offer Lemforder arms, and are working on a beefier xi-specific front control arm, with proprietary spherical bearings. i have no idea on pricing, haven't looked that far into it, but these arms on my to do list

You those arms will be better than getting the poly bushings ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #29
Knonsense
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi.

Quote:
i understand the Synchro Works arms have spherical bearings, and bearings are better than bushings. i know a beefier arm is being designed, but i don't know if there's a prototype or mass production available.

granted, these arms/bearings are massive overkill for a street car, but so is 400 AWHP so
Prudhoe & Back.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #30
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knonsense
Quote:
i understand the Synchro Works arms have spherical bearings, and bearings are better than bushings. i know a beefier arm is being designed, but i don't know if there's a prototype or mass production available.

granted, these arms/bearings are massive overkill for a street car, but so is 400 AWHP so
I wish I had 400awhp lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:06 PM   #31
UsedF10M5
They say I'm Invincible
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi 6AT

I may not have been as liberal with the left side as I was with the right, that may be why there's only noise from the one side, I tightened them with load using a jack.

I don't know how these guys are saying they can be pressed in, I used a saw and cut them in half, had to get the old ones pressed out.

I live in Colorado and they showed up pretty quick, less than two weeks. All of my related issues have been taken care of, and the car feels nice and tight.

Unfortunately still no confirmation on the wheel hop, car has been having major trans issues so I've been dealing with local shops to get that sorted. But now when I brake at low speeds the front wheels have no movement in the wheel well like they used to.

Oh and 400awhp isn't even enough ha.

EDIT: Trans problems were somewhat sorted out enough to beat on the car a little. No more wheel hop.
Attached Images

Last edited by UsedF10M5; 08-14-2015 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #32
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
There's no need to cut these in half when installing. You can press the old ones out and press these in in one piece. For noise....did you use the grease and did you tighten the bolts at loaded ride height? I have the red strongflex poly bushings and they are silent.
That's correct, there's no need to cut them. The shop was able to get mine in no problem. Just use a descent press, little lube and make sure they stay perfectly straight while starting to press them in. Also I don't have any squeak or pop. Just be sure to liberally use the provided grease on the metal spacers put in the middle of the bushing

They make a huge difference in how the car handles and feels and drives, especially at speed. The higher the speed the more apparent how inadequate the factor bushings are becomes more obvious. Under braking the car would sometimes pull as much as a couple feet over to one side at highway speeds. That can be very dangerous! Not to mention the lack of direct response when turning the steering wheel quick, as well as the car wanting to follow every grove in the road in every direction but the one I wanted. Now the car is tight feeling, responds well, has more feel at initial turn in as well as while taking a hard corner. Now it's tracking straight when braking, even hard. The car feels like it leans over much less, which must be true given how much the stock bushings move. So much more stable and confidence inspiring.
I've done this same upgrade in a couple other cars I've owned and it was always one of my favorite mods. In my 335Xi it is an amazing upgrade considering how overly soft the factory bushings are to help make the sport sedan more compliant for the average driver. The car is transformed and now drives and feels how it should have been from the factory. (I know, cliche statement for mods but so true) Well worth every penny!!
Oh, and for s & g's I had the factory bushing pressed out of the metal sleeve to compare to the Strongflex Sport bushing. Notice all the voids in the factory bushing and how much more beefy the upgraded bushings are!!! ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:05 PM   #33
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du
Quote:
That's correct, there's no need to cut them. The shop was able to get mine in no problem. Just use a descent press, little lube and make sure they stay perfectly straight while starting to press them in. Also I don't have any squeak or pop. Just be sure to liberally use the provided grease on the metal spacers put in the middle of the bushing

They make a huge difference in how the car handles and feels and drives, especially at speed. The higher the speed the more apparent how inadequate the factor bushings are becomes more obvious. Under braking the car would sometimes pull as much as a couple feet over to one side at highway speeds. That can be very dangerous! Not to mention the lack of direct response when turning the steering wheel quick, as well as the car wanting to follow every grove in the road in every direction but the one I wanted. Now the car is tight feeling, responds well, has more feel at initial turn in as well as while taking a hard corner. Now it's tracking straight when braking, even hard. The car feels like it leans over much less, which must be true given how much the stock bushings move. So much more stable and confidence inspiring.
I've done this same upgrade in a couple other cars I've owned and it was always one of my favorite mods. In my 335Xi it is an amazing upgrade considering how overly soft the factory bushings are to help make the sport sedan more compliant for the average driver. The car is transformed and now drives and feels how it should have been from the factory. (I know, cliche statement for mods but so true) Well worth every penny!!
Oh, and for s & g's I had the factory bushing pressed out of the metal sleeve to compare to the Strongflex Sport bushing. Notice all the voids in the factory bushing and how much more beefy the upgraded bushings are!!! ?
Did it get rid of wheel hop ?i just ordered some but In the Black color instead. You have to request it
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #34
montegokid94
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Lol mine are still in my trunk
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #35
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du
Quote:

Did it get rid of wheel hop ?i just ordered some but In the Black color instead. You have to request it
Wheel hop hasn't been a problem for me with this car. However, I can say that it was with my other cars, they were front wheel drive. The control arm polyurethane upgrade on them significantly reduced wheel hop to the point it was mostly gone. So most likely anyone experiencing wheel hope with the awd 3 series (including the rear, if that's were the wheel hop is) will have similar results with bushing upgrades as well.
Tire choice can also affect wheel hop in my experience. Hard tires and/or high tire pressure can increase wheel hop. Often a softer tire (both compound and sidewall stiffness) has decreased wheel hop. At the drag strip lowering tire pressure would also help. Albeit these are only factors in the cause of wheel hop, so your experience with tires may or may not be similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #36
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

The only difference between RWD and AWD trust arm bushings is the width. RWD bushings are 10mm wider than AWD. The diameter is the same.

I used Whiteline Poly bushings (for RWD) and cut 5mm off each end and cut 10mm off one side of the metal insert. Greased with cooper antiseize and no noises since Spring of this year.

I didn't have the correct diameter tool to press the bushings out so I used a 3" hole saw. Worked perfectly.
Attached Images

Last edited by matteblue3er; 07-29-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #37
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knonsense View Post

You do not want a heim joint/spherical bearing in that location. This location takes a lot of impact and that will transfer into the cabin.

Not to mention the issues that arise from using heim joints/spherical bearings on a street car....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 02:27 AM   #38
UsedF10M5
They say I'm Invincible
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi 6AT

Glad to see that you got them pressed in.
It looked impossible to me, but at least now I know lol.
      08-03-2015, 05:24 AM   #39
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Reading this thread with much interest. Was under the car recently and noticed both tension strut and control arm bushing are shot. Hit a big pothole recently and that may have done them in. Does anyone make or can something be made to fit the control arm?

Terminology is confusing among vendors. Strongflex only makes one bushing for XI, the ones being discussed in this thread, called for example "lower tension strut" here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...l_Arm/ES49241/

I ordered a set of their yellow version just now.

What I want to know is does anyone make similar for the "lower control arm", or can something be trimmed to fit like the tension strut bushings?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...l_Arm/ES49244/

I can't find any, but it does look like Whiteline, Powerflex and others make the corresponding part for non-XI, eg:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=W53453

But comparing pics it looks like it is a much smaller diameter bushing, here is 335i "front control arm"

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...l_Arm/ES49250/

If not I guess I've have to replace the whole arm with OEM equivalent (both sides).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #40
Lowly328
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xdrive

I saw a post where strongflex made a custom set for the lower control arm. Not sure where the post was located.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #41
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowly328 View Post
I saw a post where strongflex made a custom set for the lower control arm. Not sure where the post was located.
Thanks, I vaguely remember that too but can't find it either. I think I'll just go with OEM lower control arms and swap the Stronglfex in the tension struts see how that goes, then keep my old LCA's and put in poly if some become available.

BTW it looks like both LCA and TS have fluid-filled bushings, at least if the grease splatter/leak pattern on mine is any indication
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 03:18 AM   #42
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
You do not want a heim joint/spherical bearing in that location. This location takes a lot of impact and that will transfer into the cabin.

Not to mention the issues that arise from using heim joints/spherical bearings on a street car....
One driver's harsh ride is another's precision handling. It really is subjective, and also depends on the intended application and implementation. For instance, I just ordered a pair of links from Syncro Design to remove compliance from my bushings, so that the suspension can operate properly. My car already has TCKline adjustable dampers and springs. The control is much better than stock, and the ride is actually more comfortable. I also track my car frequently. On the track, the added turning precision from spherical bushings in those locations is a real benefit. Also, because I use the car more 'energetically' than average, my maintenance routine is disciplined and thorough. I'm looking forward to installing them, and if it means that I trade a small amount of NVH (remember that my ride is already more comfortable than stock), for more precise handling and braking, then I'm fine with that.

My case isn't ordinary, but there are cases where these bushings are the right solution.

https://www.facebook.com/SyncroDesig...383657/?type=1
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #43
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

The custom front bushing from strongflex was for me, its on my car right now.

Its not really needed as the front control arms for the XI use the same type of bushing in them that the rear M3 arms do, but if you want to replace it you might contact strongflex and see if they will make you a custom one like they did for me.

I had ordered a set for the non XI because their web site didnt say "not for XI" but found they didnt fit, so I told them and they updated their web site, then they were kind enough to offer to make me some custom ones if I sent them the control arms, so a bought a set of new control arms, shipped it to them, they made them, then shipped it back and I put them on. Because of customs in poland that was about a 3 month adventure, but they work great.
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.

Last edited by shushikiary; 09-01-2015 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #44
Julian2485
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushikiary
The custom front bushing from strongflex was for me, its on my car right now.

Its not really needed as the wrong control arms for the XI use the same type of bushing in them that the rear M3 arms do, but if you want to replace it you might contact strongflex and see if they will make you a custom one like they did for me.

I had ordered a set for the non XI because their web site didnt say "not for XI" but found they didnt fit, so I told them and they updated their web site, then they were kind enough to offer to make me some custom ones if I sent them the control arms, so a bought a set of new control arms, shipped it to them, they made them, then shipped it back and I put them on. Because of customs in poland that was about a 3 month adventure, but they work great.
I have the tension strut strong flex bushing on my xi ( the big curved front control arm one). It made a significant difference on my car. Same bushing as the yellow one but in black I paid a little extra for black ones lol
Appreciate 0