E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Adaptive Headlight Modules

07-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Hello all,

I have a 06 330xi with adaptive headlight problems.

I pulled headlights out inspected everything and bought 1 new module. (In hindsight I should of bought 2).

I used NCS Expert to code module and keep getting a error so I brought in a expert

MyBimmerBrain - https://www.instagram.com/mybimmerbrain/?hl=en

who was extremely helpful and had the same exact issues I was having. Still getting stepper motor control warning on both sides but when try to code in the new module it starts to do its thing then ends with warning and says "coding is faulty"

Now I'm going to purchase 1 more module and Hope's that because 1 is bad it's not allowing it to code the good one.

watch this video it is intriguing to say the least the headlight moves around during coding. it only happens with new module old one on drivers side does nothing until I swap new module over and it does the exact same thing.

I guess my main question is if 1 of the modules is bad will it not allow it to code correctly?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Are both sides out? Or do you have a working module?

You can swap the working module to the other side. The movements will be backward but if you can communicate with it, you know the harness is ok.

If you cannot communicate with it, the pins inside the connector for the harness are probably corroded to the point where they are not making good contact.

Either replace the headlamp assembly or code out adaptive by removing option code $524 and defaulting the coding on the car, at the very least FRM.

Not sure if you can dissemble the pin connector and clean/replace the pins.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Thanks for your reply. I took some time trying to determine exactly what is taking place and while waiting for my new (used) module to arrive. I purchased another one from Ebay but this time used not new.

Installed new module to driver side and used module to pass side.

Opened Inpa, cleared 2 faults *communication with stepper motor

Run NCS Expert and still receive warning message at end of coding. This occurs while coding either LSMC or RSMC but the "new" module seeming to adjust itself accordingly during coding but fails at some point.

Re-open inpa and the I recieve only 1 code now
communication with stepper motor for driver side which has the brand new module and when I code I watch the light move back and forth so I know the wiring is working just fine.

My only theory is that the system is trying to determine if the module is left or right and being that it is new it's not properly set up. I've read conflicting statements some saying you need to write VIN to new module using winkfp or toolset32 first and some saying you dont. I'm a bit confused at this point. No amount of searching and reading has helped.

Hoping someone might have some type of solution to get these darn lights working correctly. mind boggling
Appreciate 0