E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DEPO projector90 upgrade DIY - work in progress

11-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #309
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
Ok, now my car as of today has decided that when the headlights go on, it throws a red car on lift icon. What gives?
I got that when right after I got mine installed.. then its gone... never see that showing up again (knock knock knock.. on wood) I think its the warning to tell you that the system thinks all your light system are out..

2004 Mazda Speed Miata... Bone Stock...
2000 Ford Explorer... Beater all the way
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #310
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb0000 View Post
Are we saying that the ballast might be temperature sensitive? If it's cold out, it would not work?

I really hope that is not the case. Did you have a chance to contact Jlevi to see what they say? As nice as these HID if it does not work, then what's the use?
I havent have any time to talk to them..
but at least for my car I do think the ballast are temperature sensitive.. and they are REALLY weird!! I mean I finally got it figured out just today: when cold start (below 40-45F) Ill have to turn on both low beam and high beam and in couple mins my left side low beam will go off, then i have to restart the car.. everything went back to work.. then another couple mins the same light will go off again.. then another restart of the car.. usually the third or the fourth time of restarting the car will get the lights to work normally... (stay on forever til I shut it off)
So it seems like the lights cant get to proper working temp fast enough and it just keep cutting itself.. so until restarting the car three to four times its about 10-15 mins in total which will finally let the lights to warm up enough so it will stay on properly.. (keeping the high beam on will also help the lows to warm up.)
I hope that makes sense to ya'll.... sometimes my english gets pretty mess up...lol sry about that...

AND one of my turn signal decided today is a good time to quit working.. and I cant get it back to work.. =.= im thinking about just take both bulbs out for now.. will i get pulled over by not having those two front signals lit up?
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 02:30 AM   #311
SUPERMAN2481
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '2006 E90 325i

ive tried to look through all the post and still would like to know what just most basic setup would looke like?? does any member just have the basic headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #312
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb0000 View Post
Are we saying that the ballast might be temperature sensitive? If it's cold out, it would not work?

I really hope that is not the case. Did you have a chance to contact Jlevi to see what they say? As nice as these HID if it does not work, then what's the use?
I live in N. Florida. It was actually 38 degrees farenheight out (6 above freezing for you C users) and my fishcake lights had no problems. I will say one of my lights got moisture inside so I popped it out and siliconed the entire seam of the light and problem solved. But, mine don't seem to be sensitive to heat or cold. I also bolted mine right in the engine compartment with neither ballast more than 6 inches from my engine. Heat from there could be a factor ofcourse, but the lights fired right up before the engine started producing much heat.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #313
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuchao1 View Post
I got that when right after I got mine installed.. then its gone... never see that showing up again (knock knock knock.. on wood) I think its the warning to tell you that the system thinks all your light system are out..
May I ask the exact error cancellers you have (as well as any other upgrades that might effect that lift being turned off)?? Mine ALWAYS throws the red lift icon. Indeed, I have to start the car and wait about 100 seconds (give or take) for the lift Icon to pop up. But, I never have to restart the car etc, the first start is always adequate. This lift icon ensures my headlights stay activated 100% of the time. Otherwise my right HID will turn off UNTIL lift icon appears.. Then all is quite well save for the annoying warning signals (I am going to break my speaker off like I posted earlier in this thread. I'll get that done by this weekend. Note: ONLY E90 users can do this, there is no speaker for E92 or F models)

Again I reiterate that my staisfaction is still above 50%, and I reiterate that I would indeed go through this process again to get the 60 LED (or 4 to be honest) AE's. Call me vain or whatever you will, but I think they just look to damn cool to go back to halogens. And take my word, they blow any stock AE's out of the water in terms of brightness. Furthermore, this LED increase in brightness makes the ring much more solid (with 60 LEDS) than stock, this enables drivers from the opposite direction to see four solid AE's from at least 200 yards off. A E92 CCFL guy that was stopped at an opposite red light from me stuck his hand out the window with a "ok" hand sign and smiled. At least my poor E90 is back up to par in terms of asthetics now

PS- I have grown to like the amber turn signals staying activated. They really seem to flow with the AE's if you catch my drift.

Overall, glad I can get them working, keep them staying working, and help you guys attempt to be as cool as the guys rich enough to afford stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #314
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post
May I ask the exact error cancellers you have (as well as any other upgrades that might effect that lift being turned off)?? Mine ALWAYS throws the red lift icon. Indeed, I have to start the car and wait about 100 seconds (give or take) for the lift Icon to pop up. But, I never have to restart the car etc, the first start is always adequate. This lift icon ensures my headlights stay activated 100% of the time. Otherwise my right HID will turn off UNTIL lift icon appears.. Then all is quite well save for the annoying warning signals (I am going to break my speaker off like I posted earlier in this thread. I'll get that done by this weekend. Note: ONLY E90 users can do this, there is no speaker for E92 or F models)

Again I reiterate that my staisfaction is still above 50%, and I reiterate that I would indeed go through this process again to get the 60 LED (or 4 to be honest) AE's. Call me vain or whatever you will, but I think they just look to damn cool to go back to halogens. And take my word, they blow any stock AE's out of the water in terms of brightness. Furthermore, this LED increase in brightness makes the ring much more solid (with 60 LEDS) than stock, this enables drivers from the opposite direction to see four solid AE's from at least 200 yards off. A E92 CCFL guy that was stopped at an opposite red light from me stuck his hand out the window with a "ok" hand sign and smiled. At least my poor E90 is back up to par in terms of asthetics now

PS- I have grown to like the amber turn signals staying activated. They really seem to flow with the AE's if you catch my drift.

Overall, glad I can get them working, keep them staying working, and help you guys attempt to be as cool as the guys rich enough to afford stock.
Everything on my headlights are from Jlevisw.. lights, bulbs, ballast, error canceler.. everything..
That lift thing just simply goes away at the second day I got my lights installed and I have no clue about why and how that showed up and gone..
I agree with you that my satisfaction with these lights is high.. if theres no error and no turn signal issue and no bulb goes out issue then ill totally give it a 99%

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #315
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
I live in N. Florida. It was actually 38 degrees farenheight out (6 above freezing for you C users) and my fishcake lights had no problems. I will say one of my lights got moisture inside so I popped it out and siliconed the entire seam of the light and problem solved. But, mine don't seem to be sensitive to heat or cold. I also bolted mine right in the engine compartment with neither ballast more than 6 inches from my engine. Heat from there could be a factor ofcourse, but the lights fired right up before the engine started producing much heat.
Just got back from Chicago and it was 33F outside.. The lights were working fine all the way..

Last night tho, same temperature but it was a cold start and I had to restart the car three times during different red lights in order to brought the lights temperature up enough to have them working normally..

Guess Im just one with a bit bad luck with the ballast =''=

You said your ballast were bolted right in the engine compartment.. but mines... the shop I went to they bolted both the ballast right behind the lower grill.. which is directly exposed to almost everything bit of weather.. maybe thats why.. Ill see if I can shoot a pic tmr (Because I have never heard about mounting the ballast at that position..)

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #316
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Quote:

I have to agree with you. Although we had same pain in the ass with theese lights it is worth it. Every time I park against the shop window or I'm behind car with reflective bumper or tailgate, it makes me smile. I don't regret installing them, although I still keep the old lights just in the case. And it is interesting, I was thinking exactly same about putting silicon to seal that cheap back cover..But first I will try to adjust my high beam. So on the end I learn to leave switch on auto, no error at all, sometimes left, right or both turn signals loose connection and that cause the error but I will correct it in my NEW GARAGE in my NEW HOUSE which I'm getting next week. BTW I had upgraded interior lights with LED's so when I go out at night, car unlocks and it looks stunning. All inside led's, door handles light, AE's are on, it is amazing look. I hope it will be standart on the BMW's soon because it will just say "Look at that BMW". What a car. That's it for now. Oh, it is raining like crazy here in SoCal, so temperature is not really high and no errors at all. But I had mounted ballast inside on the top of the lights anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #317
ChuckD05
NeedsMoarBoost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i / 06 e90 325xi

Garage List
How do you get the angel eyes on without the day time running light ( from your High beam bulb ) on as well ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #318
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

it is like regular lights, but projector instead halogen and AE's extra which looks cool. No high beam used. Acually I hate them (yellow) and I think I will upgrade them for HID too.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #319
LLinxuS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [9.28]
just read this whole thread, and the conclusion is that there is no conclusion...?

Whether you buy from JLevi or Fishcake, you're still most likely going to get errors?

Oh and to keep it on topic, thanks for the write up and review, turned out great!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #320
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinxuS View Post
just read this whole thread, and the conclusion is that there is no conclusion...?

Whether you buy from JLevi or Fishcake, you're still most likely going to get errors?

Oh and to keep it on topic, thanks for the write up and review, turned out great!
You are absolutly right. Not really perfect unit. But if you ask me, OD and other people who installed they wouldn't go back. But of course, I still keep original lights in the garage, just in the case. BTW, it throws more error then before, now parking lights are at fault all the time. New things....If I'd be considering the purchase now I'd wait. Maybe they will raise the prices after they will make it reliable, I paid $570 shipped and it pleased me for at least $100.00. So I have to drive more to use up the rest. And I gave my car to the stealer today, cabin mirror was dimmed all the time and I had almost accident in the morning, didn't see shit in the mirror. So my car has 49890 miles, I asked him about the peeled of ashtray on the back, worn out driver's handle, I will see if they will change it under warranty. He is pushing for extended warranty, (6y/100K miles) for $2100.00. What's your take on it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #321
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep

I got extended warranty on my 3er for about 1900$. It's almost paid for itself with 8 months left on it. It's worth it!!

The lights are great looking, they function very well once they turn on (90 second warm up. it takes that longfor the computer to do *something that engages the second low beam.
Would I do it again?? Yeah, I think the look is too good to say no too. I'm all for looks (can you say first to get the new f30 3er??! ha, either it or f10 5) so on a 1 to 10 scale on looks it's a 9 or 10. They are bright and out there, really setting my BMW apart from the other non descript cars on the road. As a reference, at least 2 CCFL drivers said they wanted their's to look that way (e92, these lights are for e90 only however).

Errors are annoying, I took a girl out last week and felt like an idiot sitting in my high end luxury car and it going "DING DING DING." She was certainly thinking it translated to "I'm a broke piece of sh*t, fix me." in car talk. It turns out that Egyptian beauty models don't care, 'cause she called me back but nevertheless; the errors are bad.
2006 e90's can break their "ding" speaker off, and solder it back on for resale with no problems, but the dash will still read an error. I've yet to get any free time to do that.

If anyone does have a question about install or something just shout here in this thread, I'll do my best.

EDIT: The 60 LED ring looks NOTHING like a OEM AE. No one has really pointed that out besides saying they look "better." I mean to say that from a distance there is absolutely no mistake that that's a BMW, and he paid a fortune for some awesome lights. I just tell myself to keep in mind only I can see that dashboard error and everyone else sees the lights. Psychologically speaking: no harm, no foul.

Last edited by OdomPHD; 11-28-2010 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #322
demented328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Part time e90

Hope!!

Alright after monitoring this thread and others as well, I decided to get the lights. There had to be a way to be error free. Since its the wifes car it had to be reliable. I bought the Depo P90 with the 60 led rings with NO HID from Simon(fishcake) on ebay.

1st problem: Turn signal sockets. Gave errors and had bad connection problems. Took apart socket and found center contact point doesn't make good contact with the bulb.
Solution: Bent center tab in socket up a lil bit and both sides stay on and blink.

2nd problem: Still have parking light errors. Parking light (small one in OEM highbeam). Temporarily cut the power wire to the LED angel eyes and wired in the OEM wedge bulb. Error went away.
Solution: As of now I have a small sidemarker housing wrapped in tape inside the headlight housing. YES its ghetto but it does the job. Basically a dummy bulb but won't melt because it has its own housing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #323
demented328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

3rd problem: LED angels have no power: Since I cut the power wire I needed a power source. After reading other threads and DIY, the best solution was to have them as Daytime running lights as well as Welcome lights.

Solution: Found a Ignition wire on the CAS module. Wired in a diode. Found the footwell light wire. Wired in a diode. Wired in a toggle switch. (These LED angel eyes are beautifull and HELLA bright. Just in case I need them off I wired in a switch.) Ran the wire to the engine bay. Fused the wire and ran it to the power wire for the angel eyes. Ran the wire through the groumet on the low beam cover of the HID kit.

Works beautifully! Turned off the DRL on the stalk menu. So during the day just the angel eyes are on. Also when you unlock the car the AE's come on then when you lock it the fade away. TIGHT!

4th problem: Headlight errors.
Solution: I did not buy the lights with HID's. On another thread another poster swore on these CAN-BUS kits from highperfomancebulbs.com So I tried it out. Pre installed them before I started all this. GRRR error! Oh yah foglights not connected.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #324
demented328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Switch on AUTO no errors.
Switch on OFF no errors.
Switch on Headlights on I do get an error! Most of the time it goes away within a minute. The time it did not was when I switched it back to AUTO and the error still stayed untill I restarted the car.

Still have to adjust the low beams because they are way to high right now. The car is a 07 e90 with a build date of 11/06.

This is not a DIY but a vague description of what I did. I am not responsible for any damage.
( Had to put that in)

I will try to post pics maybe a video. The lights look blue in the pics but believe me they are not. Color is more like the leds on the door handle.

Let me know if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #325
misterba
Milan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented328 View Post
Switch on AUTO no errors.
Switch on OFF no errors.
Switch on Headlights on I do get an error! Most of the time it goes away within a minute. The time it did not was when I switched it back to AUTO and the error still stayed untill I restarted the car.

Still have to adjust the low beams because they are way to high right now. The car is a 07 e90 with a build date of 11/06.

This is not a DIY but a vague description of what I did. I am not responsible for any damage.
( Had to put that in)

I will try to post pics maybe a video. The lights look blue in the pics but believe me they are not. Color is more like the leds on the door handle.

Let me know if you have questions.
Very nice. I have to try it because my right turn signal just stayed off all the time. I didn't have a time, just finished moving to new house so garage is a mess and I'm busy. But as soon as I have time I will try to do those changes. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #326
demented328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #327
DMC1068
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

I want these lights but will not settle for the errors or the lights not being on at a given time. Keeping on auto would not be a big deal, that is where it is now. Before reading this I was a little leary of the removing the bumper. Still not sure I want to remove a body panel. I was looking at these: http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/3-Se...duct_info.html or these: http://www.carid.com/2007-bmw-3-seri...tor-92810.html The second one support says you don't remove the bumper. In comments people are saying it only takes 15 minutes a side and no one complains of errors. Support states that the directional is included and it is plug and play. They also have no clue that a error cancelling module is needed and don't offer one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #328
DMC1068
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Got this in a reply to this issue at bimmerfest.com

"Go on ebay and buy the canbus hid kit's.....thats what i have on my one it will get rid of the bulb error light...............any light changed on the new bmws they have to be canbus ones because bmw are pricks with their technology
"
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #329
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi Jet Black/Black

i ordered the canbus hid kit from this thread
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435925

they were for the h11 but i wasn't thinking and ordered any ways when i should have gotten h7. any ways i already have the crapy hid kit from fishcake.

i hooked up the new ballast to the existing lamps that came with the lights and nothing came on still got errors even when the lights didn't come one.

can any one help me out?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #330
SUPERMAN2481
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '2006 E90 325i

too much to read!!! can i just order these parts?

Projector Headlight Set - Standard Turn Signals [PRO90ALXX]

OPTIONAL UPGRADE - Turn Signal Bulb Socket (Single) [63117159570] X2???
i would like the blueish hues but wanna just purchase the bare minimum right now.. as far as im concerned ill just receive the headlights and socket to make them work, and theyll be yellow? but still plug and play? does anybody have this setup?? pleas help
Appreciate 0