E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need Help with EWS Delete

11-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
pnwrecluse
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 530i

Need Help with EWS Delete

Hi there. I've been lurking through the threads for the last month trying to learn enough about my new car to avoid sounding ignorant. Now my mission is to sound ignorant anyway in hopes that someone reputable in these fourms, Hassmaschine possibly, would take pitty on me and my money to possibly perform an EWS delete remotely on my MSV70/2006 530i DME. If anyone can help, I have communication with the car on a pc with Inpa and an internet connection. Car will not start and I think it's because of a water damaged DME. The codes its spitting dont make much sense as to why it wont start and I have zero communication with the transmission. I have another donor DME to install but my understanding is that it needs the EWS disabled or it wont play nice with the CAS. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwrecluse View Post
Hi there. I've been lurking through the threads for the last month trying to learn enough about my new car to avoid sounding ignorant. Now my mission is to sound ignorant anyway in hopes that someone reputable in these fourms, Hassmaschine possibly, would take pitty on me and my money to possibly perform an EWS delete remotely on my MSV70/2006 530i DME. If anyone can help, I have communication with the car on a pc with Inpa and an internet connection. Car will not start and I think it's because of a water damaged DME. The codes its spitting dont make much sense as to why it wont start and I have zero communication with the transmission. I have another donor DME to install but my understanding is that it needs the EWS disabled or it wont play nice with the CAS. Any help is appreciated.
Two notes;

If the DME is spitting codes, the CPU is running and it's probably not terminal. Pull the DME and check all of the connections, clean lean anything that looks corroded.

My E89 has an occasional ghost code pop up on high throttle conditions and it turned out to be one dirty pin on the DME. Two shots of cleaner and the fault has never come back

I'm pretty sure you can virgin-ise the DME by clearing an area of RAM thus allow the DME to Resync to CASS. You'll need a BDM rig but it's not that hard. It's been done on this forum before just can't remember the thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
pnwrecluse
Registered
Rep

Thank you for the reply. When I bought the car it had a CAS DME Key swap done to it but I didn't run. Whatever was causing the no crank condition was not fixed with the swap. In the trunk was the original dme, cas and key/tumbler. The dme had a high water mark about and inch from the bottom and some light damage to what looks like a small diode, a little blackening. I wanted to start from scratch so I meticulously cleaned and inspected the original DME and checked for any damaged tracers. In the ecu box I went through all of the connectors, fuses and relays, replacing any water damaged relays and checking the rest for current passthrough. After putting all the original stuff back into the car, still no start. My next move is to go back through the dme connector again with something a little stronger than QD cleaner. I agreed that it seems like the dme is responding like it should buy may not be waking up the TCU. As far as the no start condition? I wish I could get this thing to crank over. The starter was replaced already.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwrecluse View Post
Thank you for the reply. When I bought the car it had a CAS DME Key swap done to it but I didn't run. Whatever was causing the no crank condition was not fixed with the swap. In the trunk was the original dme, cas and key/tumbler. The dme had a high water mark about and inch from the bottom and some light damage to what looks like a small diode, a little blackening. I wanted to start from scratch so I meticulously cleaned and inspected the original DME and checked for any damaged tracers. In the ecu box I went through all of the connectors, fuses and relays, replacing any water damaged relays and checking the rest for current passthrough. After putting all the original stuff back into the car, still no start. My next move is to go back through the dme connector again with something a little stronger than QD cleaner. I agreed that it seems like the dme is responding like it should buy may not be waking up the TCU. As far as the no start condition? I wish I could get this thing to crank over. The starter was replaced already.
Are you able to run any of the INPA diagnostic menus? Can you pull up the DME faults and post them.

What about the other modules? Can they be contacted via INPA and do they report any faults?

If the car was under that much water you may have wire harness issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
pnwrecluse
Registered
Rep

We got codes.

The codes seem to change a little every time i read them. the car wasn't under water per my knowledge, it looks like it was a long running leak in the dme box seal and eventually enough junk got through and plugged the drain. it also had some water come in the passenger side fresh air vent from PO leaving the filter assembly askew. ill paint a picture of the codes over three different sessions in INPA.

Earliest (ZGM 93B5, 93B2) (SZL 9501, 94C1) (DME/DDE CD99, ZAA9, CD9E, CD9D, CDB0).....Next session (ZGM Same,) (SZL Same), (DME 2AA9,) (2E8E CAS A0C0, A111) (Kombi A3AA) (Klima 9C54) Most recent session (ZGM 93B2) (SZL Same) (DME 2AA9) (TEL/MULF A379, A392) (Kombi A3AA ) (CID A46D) (Klima Same)

Also worth mentioning, the dash has the trans fail safe icon that never goes away and I never get the foot on pedal icon, there is a coolant leak so it doesn't hold water but i did try to start with coolant in it to see if that would trigger a no crank. the battery is a few weeks old. Ive tried with and without the IBS connected. INPA lets me clear codes but they just come right back, i have been able to reset the CAS and sync with the DME in Inpa so it seems like I have the majority of functionality. One thing that's been consistent, no transmission controller communication during any session in INPA. The IDrive is also dead, at first it would just stay on the BMW logo but now it doesn't bother even coming on.

If anyone wants to know the good news, the car is in pretty good shape and I legitimately paid 300 bucks for it.

Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0