E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Attempting to remove valve cover and broke 2 hoses...

12-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
tanda4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328

Attempting to remove valve cover and broke 2 hoses...

Due to an oil leak, I have been trying to remove the valve cover on a 2011 328xi. In the process of doing this I broke 2 hose/connectors (Actually 3, including the hose from the radiator to the expansion tank). Attached is an image showing the locations.

#1 - This plastic broke off flush. I'm not sure what it is for. Is there anyway to make it work without having to buy a new valve cover?

#2 - I believe it's the Crank Case Vent Hose. It broke in 2 locations so the hose needs to be replaced. Can this be done without removing the intake manifold?

Also, I still haven't been able to remove the valve cover. All bolts are loose. The front right of the cover moves a bit, but nothing else. Do these get difficult to remove? Not sure how much I should be forcing it. I'm almost ready to give up and have it towed to a mechanic. Do these get difficult to remove?

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

#1 to my recollection, that is not connected to anything and is plugged up. So, maybe just JB weld it.
#2 Hose gets brittle and breaks. Buy new one ~$20. You have 2 options here. Remove alternator to access the other end of the hose, or remove the intake manifold.

#3 your VC is stuck on 3 things. 1 - your ECU housing, 2 - your firewall, 3 - internal breathers are touching the cams.
To remove the valve cover, you will need to pull it up (parallel to engine not to ground).

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      12-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
velorider562
Rep
Drives: 10 328ix

Did you remove the 3 bolt in the middle of the valve cover. 1 located under the valuetronic motor, the other 2 are where the grounding wires from the coil wires connected to.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
#1 to my recollection, that is not connected to anything and is plugged up. So, maybe just JB weld it.
#2 Hose gets brittle and breaks. Buy new one ~$20. You have 2 options here. Remove alternator to access the other end of the hose, or remove the intake manifold.

#3 your VC is stuck on 3 things. 1 - your ECU housing, 2 - your firewall, 3 - internal breathers are touching the cams.
To remove the valve cover, you will need to pull it up (parallel to engine not to ground).

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

+1 to everything he said. Also make sure you have all the bolts loose..I think there are 27 in all. When I did my Milvs and VCG, the VC was stuck on pretty good. I just used a plastic pry tool (the kind of stuff you work on interior panels with) and gently worked it into various gaps until I could see it moving.

But go slow as you don't want to crack or warp anything.

Once I got the right front side lifted...it gave way. Then just pulled up parallel to the engine as stated above.

And that hose is almost impossible not to break. I got lucky and made it through a 3SI and VCG swap without breaking it, but I had a spare one on hand.

Good Luck!