Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E92 335i RWD Winter Tire Question

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
e92amg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

E92 335i RWD Winter Tire Question

Hi guys,

I need tires for the winter in Canada. We get a lot of snow and are pretty much below 0 degrees Celsius the entire winter, and this car is my daily driver .

My question is... do i get winter tires or all seasons? and why? I want to know if anyone has survived the winter with this car on all seasons. If i get winters I need to look for summers again in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92amg View Post
Hi guys,

I need tires for the winter in Canada. We get a lot of snow and are pretty much below 0 degrees Celsius the entire winter, and this car is my daily driver .

My question is... do i get winter tires or all seasons? and why? I want to know if anyone has survived the winter with this car on all seasons. If i get winters I need to look for summers again in the spring.
Definitely winter tires. Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3 (or 4), Bridgestone Blizzak LM-26 if you drive on a lot of dry roads, Michelin xIce3 or Blizzak WS-70 if max snow traction.

All seasons won't help you stop or corner, or (since you don't have an 'xi) help you go very well.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Ruca
Vilified
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i SOLD

I had all seasons on my last vehicle (Mazdaspeed 6) which was all wheel drive and Floyd is on point, they do not help much with control and were mediocre in just about all conditions. My current car is RWD now and I am happy I went with snows. I'm looking at a set of winter wheels currently and it will be great to have both sets ready for the changing of the seasons.

The main difference is in having a RWD car, the acceleration will never be what it could be in an AWD car in the snow but, as Floyd said, the cornering and braking will be unmatched vs an all season. The way our cars operate- instead of 2 wheels getting power when in low traction situations (like in a truck) or under heavy acceleration, only one wheel gets the power, this is due to our cars having an open differential that lets the torque go to the path of least resistance (ie the inside rear wheel when cornering). This makes snows essential in an area that gets lots of it.

At the end of the day, with RWD, it's worth every penny.

Hope this helps...

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

i see you're in toronto too... we dont get all that much snow anymore lol. get a good set of winter tires.. ive been running bridgestone blizzak lm-60 for the past 3 winters without problem. michelin xice3 is also good.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Nossic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

In Toronto... If you can choose to never go out when there's snow on the roads, you're fine with AS. But when you have snow, you'll have trouble accelerating with RWD in AS.

I'd recommend that you get a set of winter tires. Popular options include Bridgestone Blizzak (LM60 performance oriented; WS70 snow and ice oriented) and Michelin X-Ice 3 (snow and ice oriented).

Nokians are more expensive, but seem to be some very good winter tires too.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I used Pirelli Sottozero tires in Detroit last year and I was really pleased. I went 225 on all four corners to improve grip on my 335i.