E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering Question

01-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
DannyE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 318i

Post Steering Question

Hi,

I have a 2008 e90 318i. My question is, why the steering on this car feels so heavy? is this normal on the e90 chassis or specific on my 318i model ?

I know my power steering fluid liquid level is normal. Also, sometimes when I steer the wheels all the way to one side, I can hear a sound, like metallic. Its like something is jumping and hitting metal. The noise frecuency is erratic, it comes and goes even for weeks, its not all the time. I think it can be the Mechanic Belt Tensioner.

Any feedback or comments on this 2 subjects?

Thanks,

DannyE90 from Panama City, Panamá
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Just the way it is. All e90 have relatively heavy steering. You will get use to it in a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

The steering on the E90 is heavy than most cars. Some cars are equipped with "servotronic" steering which adjusts the level of power assist. Or the car may have "active" steering which can adjust the assist level and quickness. The sport package cars do not have servotronic but can have active steering but it's an option.

As for the clunk, I don't think it's the belt tensioner. When those go bad, it sounds more like a rattling sound. It could be control arm bushing. They're filed fluid and will pop. You'll see the fluid oozing out of the bushing. See if you can get a video of the sound you're hearing.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
DannyE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
The steering on the E90 is heavy than most cars. Some cars are equipped with "servotronic" steering which adjusts the level of power assist. Or the car may have "active" steering which can adjust the assist level and quickness. The sport package cars do not have servotronic but can have active steering but it's an option.

As for the clunk, I don't think it's the belt tensioner. When those go bad, it sounds more like a rattling sound. It could be control arm bushing. They're filed fluid and will pop. You'll see the fluid oozing out of the bushing. See if you can get a video of the sound you're hearing.
Next time I hear the sound, I will post a video.

Thanks for the help guys!

Regards,

DannyE90
Appreciate 0