E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Osbourne = Lying Arsehole

10-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #67
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
My rationale is that I pay taxes, lots and lots of taxes to be honest, more than £26K a year between myself and my wife. Therefore, I am paying for my State Pension amounsgt other things and I would consider the Child Allowance to be nothing more than tiny tiny tax rebate - to which i am (was) fully entitled.
Unfortunately, you aren't paying for your state pension, you are paying for the pensions claimed by the current generation of pensioners.

Those people who are saying 'don't have kids if you can't afford it' are totally missing the point.

The NFS family won't go to the wall as a result of loosing child benefit. But .. I didn't f*ck up the economy. Withdrawl of child benefit is a tax. I pay a hell of a lot of tax already and don't see why I should pay more.

There will be families with single earners on £32k a year that will end up paying higher rate tax due to company cars and other taxable benefits. They are the ones that are really being screwed. Absolutely barmy.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #68
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Well well well, what a shower of lying shits.

This is the wrong thing to do. im sure most people can see this? Everyone i know is talking about it and saying its a bad move.

Ill tell you why he hasnt done it on household income, because then he would be alienating a lot of the lower tax payers (85% of the population), and that would be even more disastrous than this backward move.

We need to grow ourselves back into the black not slash/cutback, itll all end in tears.

Im going to loose money, fortunately for me its something i can soak up, but a lot of other people will struggle because of this.

In a bizarre way im happy, as the more cock ups these cretins make the sooner labour will regain power.

Whatever the blues say labour were not the cause of the WOLRDWIDE economic crisis and up until that we were all having a fair time of it. The bank bailout was the real reason for the massive debt etc but UKPLC has made money on that investment, if it were to sell today.

We need jobs and investment in people thats the only way the country will survive longterm.

PS Why has osbourne let off Vodafone of 6BN in taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hear, hear.

Quote:
I agree sell the bank shares, that would be at least £60Bn.
What he'll do is hang on to that as long as he possibly can. 1) it makes good financial sense 2) he can blame these cuts on Labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Unfortunately, you aren't paying for your state pension, you are paying for the pensions claimed by the current generation of pensioners.

Those people who are saying 'don't have kids if you can't afford it' are totally missing the point.

The NFS family won't go to the wall as a result of loosing child benefit. But .. I didn't f*ck up the economy. Withdrawl of child benefit is a tax. I pay a hell of a lot of tax already and don't see why I should pay more.

There will be families with single earners on £32k a year that will end up paying higher rate tax due to company cars and other taxable benefits. They are the ones that are really being screwed. Absolutely barmy.
Do you remember the Tories going on about Labour's stealth taxes?

I agree though that this is probably the first of a few similar changes - this one's easier to get through because of the "It only impacts high earners" argument, so they've gone with it first.
      10-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #69
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
They are a bunch of B@stards, My wife is at home not working so I get the double whammy in comparison to couple next door who get double personal allowance and now child benefit as an extra even though though they earn as much.

Don't mind doing my bit in these economically difficult times but this stinks of shit due to the gross inequality. Tory = F@ck family values unless you are a multi-millionaire like the majority of the front bench
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #70
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
If any one has bothered to watch or read the news, they may be back tracking a bit on this, who knows 2013 is some time away yet. FWIW our Tory MP David Davis has kicked off tonight about it on BBC Look North and asked that his Government re-consider.

Personally, for something that was, I believe, introduced post war to encourage a baby boom is it really needed nowadays. The whole system of child allowance needs an overhaul and those who genuinely need it should receive it. There will always be a cut off point and be it based on household income etc. needs to be sorted.

What has and still baffles me is why millionaires still receive it.............I mean come on! As one local wealthy woman said to me a few years ago when her three kids where younger 'it's bloody ridiculous, I really do not need it, give it to those who do need it'. She gave it to UK childrens charities in the end.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #71
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
That's fine but then that rule should apply to everyone, not just those who work harder/earn more. If you want to take away child benefit (one of the few universal allowances) then make it a blanket ruling. Don't just fuck those who have decided/tried to better their lives and work hard for it.
Totally agree, the way it's been done is crap and it should be a blanket ruling and not just certain people.

Didnt intend to pis* anyone and didnt right it hoping to, just wanted to give my opinion
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #72
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:

Steve, no one doubts it was a Worldwide recession, it is more that Brown spent and spent and spent and spent (our money) some of which he didn't have and it is that legacy he left.

I agree sell the bank shares, that would be at least £60Bn.
Peter, GB only spent at the same rate that the previous tory government were spending at. If you removed the money that went into proping the banks up the %national debt as a proportion of GDP was the fucking same FACT.

All of us family men on here are going to have very sore knackers by the end of this tory reign.

If i ever see osbourne im going to kidnapp the prick and dry bum him, just so he knows how it feels.
      10-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #73
prt71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
If any one has bothered to watch or read the news, they may be back tracking a bit on this, who knows 2013 is some time away yet. FWIW our Tory MP David Davis has kicked off tonight about it on BBC Look North and asked that his Government re-consider.

Personally, for something that was, I believe, introduced post war to encourage a baby boom is it really needed nowadays. The whole system of child allowance needs an overhaul and those who genuinely need it should receive it. There will always be a cut off point and be it based on household income etc. needs to be sorted.

What has and still baffles me is why millionaires still receive it.............I mean come on! As one local wealthy woman said to me a few years ago when her three kids where younger 'it's bloody ridiculous, I really do not need it, give it to those who do need it'. She gave it to UK childrens charities in the end.
Is it complulsory to receive it?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #74
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Don't think anyone would disagree Helen, BUT the thing that is sticking in everyone's throat is the inequality in this crass proposal.

As you said it should be based on household income not some tick in a box on the tax return if you are a higher rate payer as Osborne tried to justify on the grounds of process simplification.

As I implied earlier the Tories have done real real damage and if they can not get a simple concept like this right god help us.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #75
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Quote:
... dry bum him, just so he knows how it feels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prt71 View Post
I read these two posts WAY too quickly after each other...
      10-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #76
Swiller
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Take a single female earning 50k per year, gets 25% off the council tax, that's about it. Doesn't use schools, far less waste , pays same taxes as every other bugger, gets sod all protection on the streets.

I agree with a reduction in this benefit for wealthy households. Perhaps a 500 quid council tax rebate instead, for every child in a house. That way less wealthier families with 2 kids may pay no council tax, but rich still pay a grand or so. Could offer it to families whose house is worth Less than 300k or summat.

It is the banks that are making the politicians do the necessary and it is nothing short of a blatent robbery of public funds. We have already bailed em out and they are round again with their fookin hat collecting more.

This deficit can all easily be solved by not making loads of bombs for a few years. Murder the deficit, not afghanis etc.., or just tell the banks to fuck off.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #77
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbmw View Post
Don't think anyone would disagree Helen, BUT the thing that is sticking in everyone's throat is the inequality in this crass proposal.

As you said it should be based on household income not some tick in a box on the tax return if you are a higher rate payer as Osborne tried to justify on the grounds of process simplification.

As I implied earlier the Tories have done real real damage and if they can not get a simple concept like this right god help us.
Yes Jason and hence even their own people (David Davis) are publicly saying it is wrong.

They need to amend this and gauging by the general uproar from the public shown by the media today, common sense dictates that they will make some amendments as has already been implied by David Cameron.

If I was cynical, I would almost believe that they announce these initiatives to purely gauge the publics reaction or indeed say they'll do A, B, C then soften it by implementing what they originally wanted to bring in, thus making it seem easier to swallow.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #78
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Totally agree, the way it's been done is crap and it should be a blanket ruling and not just certain people.

Didnt intend to pis* anyone and didnt right it hoping to, just wanted to give my opinion
Yeah, sorry. Probably uncalled for. You are of course entitled to your view and I accept you weren't trying to pi*s other off.

The whole 'If you can't afford kids don't have them' defence brings out the worst in me. I can't shove them back in. It's not what my gripe is anyway. It's this he earns x amount screw him no one will care.

I never knew about the benefit when we started a family but thought it was a good thing in that it didn't discriminate and the money went straight into savings for the kids when they are older (their accounts are actually doing well).

I wasn't going to say another word on the matter as it's just going round the doors again but hopefully they will backtrack and devise a fairer system although I will probably still lose out.
      10-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #79
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes Jason and hence even their own people (David Davis) are publicly saying it is wrong.

They need to amend this and gauging by the general uproar from the public shown by the media today, common sense dictates that they will make some amendments as has already been implied by David Cameron.

If I was cynical, I would almost believe that they announce these initiatives to purely gauge the publics reaction or indeed say they'll do A, B, C then soften it by implementing what they originally wanted to bring in, thus making it seem easier to swallow.
A dangerous strategy as anybody with an iota of intelligence will see through it and resent being taken for an idiot. If I employed those tactics at work I would soon be in receipt of a nice new crisp P45!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #80
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A dangerous strategy as anybody with an iota of intelligence will see through it and resent being taken for an idiot. If I employed those tactics at work I would soon be in receipt of a nice new crisp P45!
As I said if one was cynical, but then difficult to prove that was the original intention or not.

For all we know, it may have been done many times in the past by various Governments....................ahh conspiracy theories. One for Matt I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #81
prt71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Peter, GB only spent at the same rate that the previous tory government were spending at. If you removed the money that went into proping the banks up the %national debt as a proportion of GDP was the fucking same FACT.

All of us family men on here are going to have very sore knackers by the end of this tory reign.

If i ever see osbourne im going to kidnapp the prick and dry bum him, just so he knows how it feels.
He went to public school, it won't be anything new.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #82
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prt71 View Post
Apparently so. The woman I know of did try enquiring through the relevant channels at the time and was told that they had to issue the 'allowance', although it was up to her what she did with it thereafter.

She was a millionheiress by the age of 21 vide her trust fund and then married into a local business family (massive car dealerships in the North of England at the time). So child allowance not of any great importance really.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #83
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Apparently so. The woman I know of did try enquiring through the relevant channels at the time and was told that they had to issue the 'allowance', although it was up to her what she did with it thereafter.

She was a millionheiress by the age of 21 vide her trust fund and then married into a local business family (massive car dealerships in the North of England at the time). So child allowance not of any great importance really.
Peter Vardy?

In the end the child benefit is just like an extra tax allowance. People who earn more already pay more tax, so why should an additional allowance for people with children be anything other than universal?

Anyway, I think you are right that the Tories will back track on this. Osbourne has made a complete twunt of himself. The lack of fairness in this proposal will make it unacceptable to the public and Tory MPs generally.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #84
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Peter Vardy?

In the end the child benefit is just like an extra tax allowance. People who earn more already pay more tax, so why should an additional allowance for people with children be anything other than universal?

Anyway, I think you are right that the Tories will back track on this. Osbourne has made a complete twunt of himself. The lack of fairness in this proposal will make it unacceptable to the public and Tory MPs generally.
Dixons.

True, although if not PAYE it's worth employing a good accountant I believe.

I also think it is an allowance that has become such the norm, any changes to the way the allowance is given will create a reaction from the public at large.

If child allowance is taken literally as part of the welfare state then should it not be for those 'in need'. I believe the French system allows for quite generous child benefits both for those Mums who are working (and place children in child care) or chose to stay at home by way of income tax and it is across the board. Not sure if it alters with the age of the child though. Their system is altogether different to ours, especially when it comes to inheritance. You have no say in the matter whether or not you wish your children to inherit your 'estate', even children from a previous marriage, they insist (it is French law) the children inherit.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #85
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
They are a bunch of B@stards, My wife is at home not working so I get the double whammy in comparison to couple next door who get double personal allowance and now child benefit as an extra even though though they earn as much.

Don't mind doing my bit in these economically difficult times but this stinks of shit due to the gross inequality. Tory = F@ck family values unless you are a multi-millionaire like the majority of the front bench
that also goes for many labour including the great god blair!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #86
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

heard a story on the news a while ago about a millionaire being lambasted for claiming his state pension as he didnt need it, in response he said he was born poor and worked his socks off to get where he was (obviously not a labour supporter!!) but when he started in business he still had to pay his NI contributions and could have done with that money for himself, so his argument was he paid for it so he was damned well going to claim it. respect!

Last edited by acerboo; 10-05-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #87
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Wife's grandparents are rather minted and still get a state pension and winter heating allowance - for their large house in a prime spot in Rock (Chelsea on Sea). And to pay for all their boats.

A similar attitude to the above though!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #88
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Why would anyone NOT claim something that they are entitled to?

I understand that I have to pay taxes. I don't like it, but I realise its necessary.

So why would I want to pay more than the HMRC require?

One option would be to withdraw child benefit for all and give parents an extra tax allowance. But of course then higher rate taxpayers would benefit more, because their tax bill is reduced more!

Watching the news tonight, it's clear that they are backtracking ferociously. It sounds as if Cameron is likely to introduce tax allowance sharing for married couples, which would be great, but again, in an incredibly unfair twist, it appears that this will not be for higher rate taxpayers.

The problem is that people who earn £30k a year think that someone earning £ 60k a year is loaded. Unfortunately, in my experience a nice pay rise is not quite as life changing as you expect when you have to hand 40% of it straight to Osbourne so that he can piss it up the wall.
Appreciate 0