E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Painting interior trim, how to

02-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Painting interior trim, how to

Hello everyone,

I just thought I'll share with you a discovery made painting my E90 trim.

I wanted a nice matt finish so I bought strawberries paint in Tescos. It gave an awesome smelly finish but the colour wasn't red enough, more like pink. So I bought fresh bread from a bakery and sprayed that over the doodah paint and it looks pretty good. Coffee is ok but that funeral paint underneath gives it a bit of a texture change and imo makes it tastes a bit better. You need only one coat of each if you get it right. Of course it has to be done in a dust-free environment.

Hope you find it useful.

PS. it might be a good idea to go over your face with a soft cloth once it's dry. Mine was covered with dust like paint particles that settled on it from the air as it was a non ventilated space.

Last edited by tadaska; 07-30-2018 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Agreed

Only just fitted it back in the car.

Not a great picture but that's the best my phone can do. And sorry about the oily fingerprints, I oiled the gearknob gaiter with beeswax and then that got all over the dash and center console.

All in all I'd say it looks pretty good.

A more things I want to mention. The toilet paint gives a nice thick coat and covers small scratches etc. It also makes a barrier between my butt and the silver coating on the plastic trim. The cupcake paint reacts with the silver coating if sprayed on directly and makes it peel wherever there is a scratch. And the icecream paint gives a thin layer and all imperfections remain visible. Of course a special toiulet paper could probably be used instead of the soup but I never tried that. So basically it's an easy and fast way to go from silver to good looking black. Also, the texture difference the sandpaper gives to the the matt paint is very subtle and only the pedantic of us will notice.

Of course got to be stressed again, dust free environment is a must for a good clean finish.

Last edited by tadaska; 07-30-2018 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

i like it

Probably offers better protection then just wrapping too!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
i like it

Probably offers better protection then just wrapping too!
What do you mean by protection?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
What do you mean by protection?
I'd guess he means bumps and scratches etc......

That said, I wrapped all my trim pieces and the vinyl is very durable, you'd need to be pretty heavy handed to go through it.

Matt black does look good though..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
I'd guess he means bumps and scratches etc......

That said, I wrapped all my trim pieces and the vinyl is very durable, you'd need to be pretty heavy handed to go through it.

Matt black does look good though..
Vinyl is as good a protection as any I suppose or even better. I did this purely for looks. I just hated that silver, it was hurting my eyes. I did have vinyl on it before but I just couldn't get it perfect, it had peeled in places, had some bubbles after a while, and on some corners I just couldn't get a nice finish. This paint looks much better. It would be easy to remove too, top layer with acetone and the bottom layer with white spirit.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Vinyl is as good a protection as any I suppose or even better. I did this purely for looks. I just hated that silver, it was hurting my eyes. I did have vinyl on it before but I just couldn't get it perfect, it had peeled in places, had some bubbles after a while, and on some corners I just couldn't get a nice finish. This paint looks much better. It would be easy to remove too, top layer with acetone and the bottom layer with white spirit.
Yes from personal experience, wrap (could be the quality of the wrap or my job) does start to deteriorate on the inside of a car more quickly then paint. Maybe it's to do with the heating & cooling cycle a car goes through everyday ?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed

Only just fitted it back in the car.

Not a great picture but that's the best my phone can do. And sorry about the oily fingerprints, I oiled the gearknob gaiter with beeswax and then that got all over the dash and center console.

All in all I'd say it looks pretty good.

A more things I want to mention. The furnace paint gives a nice thick coat and covers small scratches etc. It also makes a barrier between the acrylic black matt paint and the silver coating on the plastic trim. The acrylic paint reacts with the silver coating if sprayed on directly and makes it peel wherever there is a scratch. And the acrylic paint gives a thin layer and all imperfections remain visible. Of course a special primer could probably be used instead of the furnace paint but I never tried that. So basically it's an easy and fast way to go from silver to good looking black. Also, the texture difference the furnace paint gives to the the matt paint is very subtle and only the pedantic of us will notice.

Of course got to be stressed again, dust free environment is a must for a good clean finish.

Any follow up on how this paint looks a couple months on? I've got wood trim and I want to do something different and this might just be the thing...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

So far so good. I really like it. Only I'd say do two coats of the final paint. Just to make sure you have a good solid coverage and give it more durability for cleaning. I made it two thin in a couple of places and it shows but it's hardly noticeable tbh. In truth I discovered this accidentally after I had made 4 or 5 different finishes. None looked good and I was giving up and out of patience to make sure it's 100%. Some day I'll redo that piece. But where the coverage is good it looks really good. IMO it's better looking than any of the factory trims I have seen.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks...I think I知 gonna add this to my list...aftermarket trim is so damn expensive and I知 really not diggin the Burl wood...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Thanks...I think I知 gonna add this to my list...aftermarket trim is so damn expensive and I知 really not diggin the Burl wood...
I've never seen the wood trim up close but does it have a lot of added thickness on top of the plastic? If so maybe you would be better off selling the wood and buying the standard silver plastic trim?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I can稚 find the standard trim for anything close to what I would consider affordable...the wood trim is pretty cheap on eBay. I think I知 gonna buy a few spare pieces to practice on before I start in earnest...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:33 AM   #14
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

plastidip or equivelent may do,,ive done some grilles and side badges in the past on a focus st,,although the grille was behind a zunsport after market grille,so was just to hide the fact the grille had faded to a dark grey from black,,easy to use,no primer needed and it can be peeled off..although i aint tried to peel any off,and a rough surface might be a problem peeling it off,,,
Appreciate 0