E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > HELP: LCI Halogens to LCI Xenons

03-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

HELP: LCI Halogens to LCI Xenons

Can someone point me in the right direction on the wiring changes that need to be done in order for the xenons to work with a car with stock halogens? I've purchased xenon headlights assemblies with all bulbs and such, and can code it myself, I just need help with the wiring and what needs to be spliced and such. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
PhilNAmazing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB F30 340i

I did the same conversion that you are planning to do right now.

Just follow this DIY and you should be fine.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28035

In the DIY, it shows Pre-Lci headlights, but the procedures are still the same with Lci.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNAmazing View Post

In the DIY, it shows Pre-Lci headlights, but the procedures are still the same with Lci.

Good luck!
I don't know if you did the LCI xenon retrofits, but do the LED turn signals need to be rewired/modded to work?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
PhilNAmazing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmit2017 View Post
Quote:

Good luck!
I don't know if you did the LCI xenon retrofits, but do the LED turn signals need to be rewired/modded to work?
I did do the LCI xenon retrofits, but with the European spec headlights. However, the conversion is the same with the US spec, I believe, correct me if I am wrong, anyone else.

But I do know that the turn signals do not need to be modded for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
I did do the LCI xenon retrofits, but with the European spec headlights. However, the conversion is the same with the US spec, I believe, correct me if I am wrong, anyone else.

Awesome! I think the only difference between us and euro spec is that us has adaptive functioning. Did you do the splicing inside the headlight or on the harness?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #6
PhilNAmazing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!

Awesome! I think the only difference between us and euro spec is that us has adaptive functioning. Did you do the splicing inside the headlight or on the harness?
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!

I did the splicing on the harness. A lot easier. Alex Alpine from Socal helped me with the wiring mods for the conversion.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:45 PM   #7
PhilNAmazing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Follow the Diy I posted earlier, and you should be fine. Unless you are doing the adaptive feature, then I may not be able to help you because I didn't go that route.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #8
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Follow the Diy I posted earlier, and you should be fine. Unless you are doing the adaptive feature, then I may not be able to help you because I didn't go that route.
Ok thanks. Are halogens same for pre lci and lci? My car is lci halogens. And from what I understand is that I need to switch wires 5&6 (or do I tap them together?) and then tap 2&4 and then tap 7&12. Is this all correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:40 AM   #9
PhilNAmazing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok thanks. Are halogens same for pre lci and lci? My car is lci halogens. And from what I understand is that I need to switch wires 5&6 (or do I tap them together?) and then tap 2&4 and then tap 7&12. Is this all correct?
Quote:
Quote:
They definitely look different and the fitment is not the same, but they function the same way.

Tapping wires 5&6 will enable the bi-xenon feature, which the Euro spec xenon lights have. The US spec has the inner halogen bulb that functions as the high beam. Not sure what spec lights you have. But I think tapping 5&6 will have your high beam function (Might need someone to confirm).

Tapping wires 2&4 is correct.

I am, however, not sure about tapping wires 7&12. I don't think I tapped those wires. Wire 12 is for the side blinker.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They definitely look different and the fitment is not the same, but they function the same way.

Tapping wires 5&6 will enable the bi-xenon feature, which the Euro spec xenon lights have. The US spec has the inner halogen bulb that functions as the high beam. Not sure what spec lights you have. But I think tapping 5&6 will have your high beam function (Might need someone to confirm).

I am, however, not sure about tapping wires 7&12. I don't think I tapped those wires. Wire 12 is for the side blinker.
Do I need the halogen high beam bulbs or no because of the Bi xenon feature
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 02:45 AM   #11
PhilNAmazing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It all comes down to what spec headlights you have (US or European). US headlights have the inner halogen bulb that functions as a high beam. European headlights do not have the inner halogen bulb, and has that inner "projector" blacked out. As a result, it uses the bi-xenon feature.

You never told me what spec lights you have
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 11:46 PM   #12
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i

I know its been long time since you did this conversation. I own a LCI with halogen , i just bought LCI xenon AHL headlights and want to do the conversion but after i plugged it them in , low beams won't work. Do u have pic fo the mods you did ( new ground wire ). Ill appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #13
skandz
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

did you manage to figure out how to install the xenons in the end mate?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 11:21 PM   #14
gerasimov0715
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 f25

Quote:
Can someone point me in the right direction on the wiring changes that need to be done in order for the xenons to work with a car with stock halogens? I've purchased xenon headlights assemblies with all bulbs and such, and can code it myself, I just need help with the wiring and what needs to be spliced and such. Thank you!!

installed xenon headlights instead of halogen but did not install ride height sensors. displays the error "adjusting the headlight angle has failed", how to remove this error from the monitor?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #15
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
For folks who have done this conversion, can you post the part number for the clip to add the wire to position 2 on the harness? Or can you add the wire without a clip?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #16
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
For folks who have done this conversion, can you post the part number for the clip to add the wire to position 2 on the harness? Or can you add the wire without a clip?
I ended up doing the wiring inside the housings themselves, and therefore didn't need to make any changes to the harness on the car. If you take the ballast off the side of the light housing, you can pop the wiring loom out of its socket, and thereafter you have plenty of space to splice, etc.
Appreciate 0