E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Anybody been reported to EPA for noise pollution?

06-05-2016, 02:07 AM   #1
/335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW e92 335i

Anybody been reported to EPA for noise pollution?

So one of the big reasons people keep away from catless downpipes is the increased noise, especially on cold start. A 335 with an exhaust + catless DPs is fairly loud, I have the BMW PE and I reckon that alone would probably fail the test.

Has anybody been reported and if so how did you go about passing the test? Did you have to go back to stock DPs/exhaust or both? My old car was over the limit and I got reported twice, once by a copper and once by my neighbours. I kept a spare stock exhaust at home and both times I had to swap it over, drive 30 mins to pass the test then come back and re-fit it again. Was a pain in the ass and if the same thing were to happen in the 335 I'd hate to have to pull off the DPs and exhaust just get under the 90dB limit
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:41 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus335 View Post
So one of the big reasons people keep away from catless downpipes is the increased noise, especially on cold start. A 335 with an exhaust + catless DPs is fairly loud, I have the BMW PE and I reckon that alone would probably fail the test.

Has anybody been reported and if so how did you go about passing the test? Did you have to go back to stock DPs/exhaust or both? My old car was over the limit and I got reported twice, once by a copper and once by my neighbours. I kept a spare stock exhaust at home and both times I had to swap it over, drive 30 mins to pass the test then come back and re-fit it again. Was a pain in the ass and if the same thing were to happen in the 335 I'd hate to have to pull off the DPs and exhaust just get under the 90dB limit
Never heard of this happening to a 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #3
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

+1 haven't heard of it happening to anyone I know with 335 or 135. Seems like the cops like to pick on the JDM crew more? :
      06-05-2016, 04:08 AM   #4
nash_86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I got pulled over by the HWP last month for being 1 day overdue on my rego. I've got catless DP's and a Miltek catback exhaust system and they didn't pick me up on any of my mods so you should be fine.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
/335
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah having a BMW you're definitely more under the radar with the police. I'm not scared to mod because of this lol, I'm looking to order some DPs in the next month or so but I was just thinking this afternoon what would you need to do to get it back under the limit if you had to get a noise test. I've heard the DPs are a real pain to install so I mean if you had to pay somebody to take them out just for a test, then re-install afterwards that would suck. Same with the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
If you have an N54 catless downpipe won't be that noisy and obnoxious, remove the secondary cats and yeah you may annoy people.

Also a muffler upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #7
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus335 View Post
My old car was over the limit and I got reported twice, once by a copper and once by my neighbours.
Did you egg his house?

Unless you riced your car full JDM style, I won't be too concerned about getting pulled over by the police just for "defect checks", my E90 has as much attention to the cops as a Camry I reckon...

93 R33 Skyline GTS-T |SAFC-II piggyback|3" Turbo Back Exhaust + Highflow Cat|FMIC|Boost Tee|Apexi POD| Shitty Chinese spec tires = sideways action everywhere
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
nash_86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
If you have an N54 catless downpipe won't be that noisy and obnoxious, remove the secondary cats and yeah you may annoy people.

Also a muffler upgrade
I'm running catless DP's, Miltek catback exhaust with secondary cats removed and guess what?? HWP still didn't say anything last month when I got pulled over.

If HWP don't pick you up on these things, there's little to no chance of getting picked up by other traffic police officers imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

As said by many, BMW is very inconspicuous and rarely get harassed by cops.

However in the event that you do get reported and require sound testing then I would just replace the axle back with your stock one.
Not sure if someone can confirm but an n54 cat at the mid pipe should pass emissions testing with catless dpsl?

Also... if you're cold starting your car every morning then it might be worth doing the cold start delete with MHD and letting it sit idle a bit longer to warm things up.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
/335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayuri Krab View Post
Did you egg his house?

Unless you riced your car full JDM style, I won't be too concerned about getting pulled over by the police just for "defect checks", my E90 has as much attention to the cops as a Camry I reckon...
lol its all anonymous reporting unfortunately! She would only tell me the reports were within my neighbourhood and thats it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
As said by many, BMW is very inconspicuous and rarely get harassed by cops.

However in the event that you do get reported and require sound testing then I would just replace the axle back with your stock one.
Not sure if someone can confirm but an n54 cat at the mid pipe should pass emissions testing with catless dpsl?

Also... if you're cold starting your car every morning then it might be worth doing the cold start delete with MHD and letting it sit idle a bit longer to warm things up.
Interesting... if you could pass with catless DPs and stock exhaust that wouldn't be so bad.

Its not so much the cops its more the general public i.e. neighbours. People can be real pricks you know. Live and let live!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash_86 View Post
I'm running catless DP's, Miltek catback exhaust with secondary cats removed and guess what?? HWP still didn't say anything last month when I got pulled over.

If HWP don't pick you up on these things, there's little to no chance of getting picked up by other traffic police officers imo.
Wow, that's lucky haha
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #12
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e90 2007 Sedan

I'm running an iPe exhaust and the car is fairly loud, about to install VRSF DP's so its only going to get louder, especially on cold start. I'm going to go the cold start delete with MHD, seems to be the best option to reduce the initial noise
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #13
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelmccarthy13 View Post
I'm running an iPe exhaust and the car is fairly loud, about to install VRSF DP's so its only going to get louder, especially on cold start. I'm going to go the cold start delete with MHD, seems to be the best option to reduce the initial noise
As a daily aka every morning cold startup, i'd definitely do the delete.

Mines a 1er with a meisterschaft GT exhaust and it sounds like the cold start noise level doubled with catless dps.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #14
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
As a daily aka every morning cold startup, i'd definitely do the delete.

Mines a 1er with a meisterschaft GT exhaust and it sounds like the cold start noise level doubled with catless dps.
Yea mines a daily as well, luckily enough though I can just leave the garage door shut till the noise settles down
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:46 PM   #15
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yea mines a daily as well, luckily enough though I can just leave the garage door shut till the noise settles down
Does that actually help?

I feel like when I leave my garage door down it's a lot louder due to the 'cupped hand amplification' effect.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #16
samuelmccarthy13
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Does that actually help?

I feel like when I leave my garage door down it's a lot louder due to the 'cupped hand amplification' effect.
Gee I didnt even think twice about if it would be louder, just assumed it would be like closing the door the music is playing in to reduce sound, hopefully its not making it louder! Its obviously louder inside the garage, but that doesnt bother me one bit
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #17
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Gee I didnt even think twice about if it would be louder, just assumed it would be like closing the door the music is playing in to reduce sound, hopefully its not making it louder! Its obviously louder inside the garage, but that doesnt bother me one bit
haha yeah I'm not too sure if it is louder on the outside due to the amped up sound inside either.

Will test it out sometime and report back!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:58 AM   #18
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
I dont hear any noise from inside my car... cant speak for the people on the street though
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #19
iliketurtl3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ive easily got the riciest whip here. Cops never bother me and def haven't checked for cats lol
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #20
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtl3s
Ive easily got the riciest whip here. Cops never bother me and def haven't checked for cats lol
Pics or didn't happen
      06-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #21
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
Pics or didn't happen
Ít's rolling on red TE37s from memory on a dark grey matte wrap or faded paint somewhere? Or was that someone else? I didn't like it but taste is personal obviously, as I've seen plenty of beemers on red TE37s!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
CashedUpBogan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: State Transit Bus

Quote:
Dude, you have an iPE that has valvetronic. Press the button on the remote and it sounds like stock. Even with the VRSF DPs isntalled. I know because I have this exact same setup. COld start is not that loud with it to get complaints from neighbours.
Appreciate 0