E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > REVIEW: E92-Lighting DTEC Pre LCI 60W HALO LED's

03-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
328nick
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

REVIEW: E92-Lighting DTEC Pre LCI 60W HALO LED's

I decided to write this review as I did not find much information on DTEC LED's prior to ordering. These are LED angel eye bulbs for PRE LCI cars with factory Xenons.

Exact product description on website:
DTEC BMW E90 E91 PRE LCI CREE LED HEADLIGHTS WHITE ANGEL EYE HALO LIGHT BULBS 60W
Current link to website:
https://www.e92-lighting.com/bmw-ang...ght-bulbs-60w/
Price:
$107.99 + 12.99 shipping

Design & Quality 4/5
Ease of Installation 3/5
Functionality 2/5
Brightness 4/5
LED Color 1/5
Customer Service 1/5

Overall Rating 2.5/5

Design & Quality:
Overall the design of the housing seems to be well thought out, however it is not without a couple downsides.
The housing is constructed of a machined aluminum, and has a good weight to it. The machining quality could be improved and for the price I was expecting a nicer finish. This is just cosmetic.
The light has no external resistor like the cheap units on eBay. There are 8 LED's per light... when installed this aligns 4 LED's per halo ring. I did not decide to take apart either light so I could not confirm if these were genuine Cree LED's or anything about the power supply.
Name:  IMG_7238.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7239.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  72.4 KB

Ease of Installation:
The lights fit well in the existing housing and line up squarely with the two halo optics. They sit much closer to the ends of the optic than the stock lights. I believe this helps with overall brightness and my only concern would be excess heat so close to the plastic.
The kit includes some spacers to use with the existing bolts, however I found the spacers were not long enough, which leaves you screwing the bolt in further than it was before. Mine seemed to go in OK but it was very tight and you may end up cracking the housing. YMMV
Name:  IMG_7255.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  75.9 KB

Functionality
The push on spade connectors on the LED housing are reversible - you can plug them into your car with either polarity. Right away the lights worked and there were no errors on the dash, nor did I have any when reading with INPA.
One advertised feature of this LED vs some of the competitors what it's ability to fade in and out when locking and unlocking the car. The stock halogen bulbs do a very nice job of this, fading from 0% to 100% brightness smoothly. The DTEC's however do not. They come on around 80% then fade on to 100%. Similar case when turning off. Annoyingly, as the DTEC has 8 LED's per bulb, you can actually notice that they do not all turn on at the same moment, so you still get a sort of 'flicker' effect as each light/halo is illuminated in turn. For the amount of effort e92-lighting has spent highlighting the fading effects of these LED's, I was expecting more.

Brightness:
This was the most noticeable improvement from the stock lights. Right away it looks bright and both LED rings appear to be illuminated with the same intensity. I was expecting, based on other halo reviews, for the inside ring to be brighter... however I'm pleased to report this was not the case with DTEC. Whether these can be used on a sunny day as Daytime Running Lights is still hard to say. They are not as visible as newer BMW halos you see on the street, but that has more to do with the design of the e90 rings.
Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  50.5 KB
Name:  FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  47.3 KB

LED Color:
I am very upset to report that the color of this product is not pure white. There is a very noticeable yellow / green tint to the LED. You can notice it whether you have your lowbeams on or off, and whether its day or night. This is a bit hard to display in pictures, they tend to come out very white or very yellow/green. In real life they are not white. This next image was the best I could do to represent the true color.
Name:  IMG_7277.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  80.1 KB
Name:  IMG_7278.JPG
Views: 601
Size:  61.3 KB

Customer Service:
Now we get to the really disappointing part. I am unimpressed by the service I received from e92-lighting. My order took almost 6 weeks to arrive, and instead of informing me of a significant delay from the beginning, it was a constant barrage of "we will ship your order in 1-2 days." They even went so far to tell me the LED's had shipped, and provided me a tracking number... TWICE. Of course two weeks later I was still asking where they were. In addition, after informing e92 of my complaints regarding the color, they insisted that all their LEDs are pure white, and I have heard nothing since asking for a full refund or exchange.

The Bottom Line:
Just based on the color of the lights I will not be keeping these. Every time I see my reflection on another car or window I cringe. That's a shame because the brightness and design is pretty good. Unfortunately also due to the poor customer service I would not recommend ordering from e92-lighting.
Name:  IMG_7275.JPG
Views: 552
Size:  60.3 KB

Last edited by 328nick; 03-21-2016 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: added "Functionality" section
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:52 AM   #2
Cory S
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

Heh..... I paid $43.00 for my 40W set of Cree/Samsung LED's for my angel eyes, and they are fantastic... Plenty bright, perfect 6K color temperature, and error free....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
bimmerclad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

Im glad u made this review because im interested in buying the pre lci rgb pair and even though they still have no reviews anywhere, its interesting to see a review of a similar product
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
328nick
Canada
Rep

Ya I was in a similar situation looking for reviews.

I forgot to mention another import part - Function. Will update the review in a bit
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
CrippledLucifer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Nice write up and pretty much reaffirms what others and myself have experienced a multitude of times. E92Lighting's customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I ordered 2 sets of their AE for use in foglights as well as the AE themselves and both blew out within 6 months of installation. It's been almost 8(!) months since I emailed them asking for a refund or a replacement and as of yet I've not gotten a single reply. I've given up, but lesson learned to never ever order from them again.

You should give LUX angel eyes a shot though. Their customer service is downright amazing and I've been super satisfied with my bulbs for my LCI E90.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

I agree that E92Lightning's customer service blows. I ordered a pair of Sidemarkers and didn't even realize they hadn't shipped after 2 weeks. I emailed him and when he finally responded I was told he didn't think he had any in stock but he'd go check. 2 weeks and he hadn't even attempted to ship my order or even check if they had any? I demanded a refund but no response. I emailed every day for a few days and finally got my refund. It sucks because they have things I want but I don't want to support them.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
328nick
Canada
Rep

Wish I had read some comments like that before ordering, would have saved me the hassle.
      03-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
E92 lighting gets smacked all the time unfortunately.