E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is anyone running N54 Intake Manifold?

05-10-2021, 07:13 AM   #265
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303bmw View Post
I am using an N54 throttle body on my msv70 06 325. I just swapped the connector with the newer style awhile back. Haven't had any issues
Hold up really now? N54 manifold or 3 stage?

Did you just cut the wires and splice together or just pulled out the wires and re-used into the MSV80/MSD80 connector?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #266
Raimund
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post

Did you just cut the wires and splice together or just pulled out the wires and re-used into the MSV80/MSD80 connector?
N54 manifold, I did it almost a year ago, I forget if I spliced or inserted pins into an MSV80 connector. It's hard to get to now with the supercharger I have installed
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #267
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Oof, does that mean I have to do that even with the TB? ;-; 06 330... fml
The N54 (MSD80/81) and N52K (MSV80) have the same TB operation; but N52 (MSV70) has a different plug and apparently operated differently within the ecu. With the N54 mani you'll have to make a new intake hose anyways and you'll need the fuel vent as there isn't on in the mani; For 3SI manifold the vent is plugged and you trim the throttle body nose.

Basically any 06 car(metal valve cover/external PCV) can't use the N54 TB as of yet
Sorry for the thread revival — but to confirm: Even if I mocked up an acceptable way to run the fuel vent line, this endeavor would be fruitless in terms of function due to the ECU, even with a tune?

I was getting ready to go outside and do the damn thing and I wanted to recap what I've taken in over the past few months.
      07-12-2021, 12:09 AM   #268
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The N54 throttle works fine on MSV70. Maybe look at the pinout if it's different (maybe some pins or swapped or slightly different plug) - but it definitely works without issue.

I know because the latest E30 N52 swap runs MSV70 with the N54 throttle. The only reason I'm not sure about the connector is he started with an MSV80 harness.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #269
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

I did some digging into this thread or another and one of the cats on here actually swapped connectors — or something to that effect on the TB itself

I'm going to get my n54 out and see what I can do -
      07-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #270
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

N54 manifold, I did it almost a year ago, I forget if I spliced or inserted pins into an MSV80 connector. It's hard to get to now with the supercharger I have installed
I made some serious progress today and got the manifold out. I'm hoping these pics jog your memory a bit — if you replaced the connector itself, cool… I'll just need to figure out how to do that. I honestly don't know how to move forward with that part

Also, the next issue is the oil separator. Do I have to be fancy and mount it elsewhere since the N54 IM is a small boi in comparison???

Could you post a pic of your engine bay? I just want to see how you have it set up… thank you :,)
Attached Images

07-17-2021, 03:11 PM   #271
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

Quote:
I made some serious progress today and got the manifold out. I'm hoping these pics jog your memory a bit — if you replaced the connector itself, cool… I'll just need to figure out how to do that. I honestly don't know how to move forward with that part

Also, the next issue is the oil separator. Do I have to be fancy and mount it elsewhere since the N54 IM is a small boi in comparison???

Could you post a pic of your engine bay? I just want to see how you have it set up… thank you :,)

I just ran a catch can instead, vent to atmosphere. Fuck the environment, honestly it had its chance.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      07-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #272
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
Quote:

I just ran a catch can instead, vent to atmosphere. Fuck the environment, honestly it had its chance.
LOL

Yeah, that route sounds like it would be easiest… but there are so many hoses going in and out of the thing (look man, 3 is a lot. Women, dollars, etc.) — what does implementing one of those entail?

If oil consumption is already an issue at times if I'm riding the car hard, will I just have to bite the bullet and keep plenty of oil on hand (on the prediction that the thing will take all oil that could've been recycled)?

If you're a pre-lci, too: did you just have to code out the function of the PCV?

Honestly had a smidge of oil in various parts of the intake — I know the manifold is a normal occurrence - a touch of it was even in the hard plastic intake tubing from cone to blower.
      07-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #273
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
LOL

Yeah, that route sounds like it would be easiest… but there are so many hoses going in and out of the thing (look man, 3 is a lot. Women, dollars, etc.) — what does implementing one of those entail?

If oil consumption is already an issue at times if I'm riding the car hard, will I just have to bite the bullet and keep plenty of oil on hand (on the prediction that the thing will take all oil that could've been recycled)?

If you're a pre-lci, too: did you just have to code out the function of the PCV?

Honestly had a smidge of oil in various parts of the intake — I know the manifold is a normal occurrence - a touch of it was even in the hard plastic intake tubing from cone to blower.

Hahah, this guy gets it ^

When I had my turbo set up installed, It was easiest to leave all the PVC solenoid things hooked up, but plugged off. Tee all the lines into the catch can, and a filter on the catch can exit port.
I know the ess kit still has the MAF hooked up, so I’m not sure if that will effect things or not. My turbo file from Bob was maf-less
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #274
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
LOL

When I had my turbo set up installed, It was easiest to leave all the PVC solenoid things hooked up, but plugged off. Tee all the lines into the catch can, and a filter on the catch can exit port.
I know the ess kit still has the MAF hooked up, so I’m not sure if that will effect things or not. My turbo file from Bob was maf-less
I am tuned for the IAT sensor — no MAF 👀
Thanks for the insight brother. Gonna see what Bob tells me tomorrow and I'll move forward.
Skoidat69280.00
      07-18-2021, 06:19 PM   #275
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the insight brother. Gonna see what Bob tells me tomorrow and I'll move forward.
Mafs are for chumps, just kidding.
Are you getting close to putting your kit back on? Smaller pulley ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #276
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nah — don't lie bro
Now everyone knows how you feel 👀

I haven't done anything else yet — main goal was to get the alternator off this weekend and get a new one in but I figured… well I guess I should do this manifold too.

And now I'm stuck :,)

New pulley should be in this week — but I'm unsure how to size for new belt.
      11-07-2021, 06:43 AM   #277
konner412
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i msport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nah — don't lie bro

I haven't done anything else yet — main goal was to get the alternator off this weekend and get a new one in but I figured… well I guess I should do this manifold too.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nah — don't lie bro

Hey Noir, how much farther have you gotten with re locating the external CCV solenoid? I just started the N54 manifold swap on my daily which has the magnesium cylinder head cover. The problem I ran into yesterday, with the factory hoses connected to the CCV, could not get the manifold to bolt down. If the CCV could just move towards the fire wall some and down another 2 or 3 inches it would be alright but it is stressing the already weak factory hoses. Going to Lowe's later to get large vacuum hose to see what I can do in terms of relocating it. Feel like it's going to be a little janky but gotta do what you gotta do at this point. Would love to see what you ended up doing. You may have come up with a more reasonable and clean solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:17 AM   #278
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by konner412 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nah — don't lie bro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nah — don't lie bro

Hey Noir, how much farther have you gotten with re locating the external CCV solenoid? I just started the N54 manifold swap on my daily which has the magnesium cylinder head cover. The problem I ran into yesterday, with the factory hoses connected to the CCV, could not get the manifold to bolt down. If the CCV could just move towards the fire wall some and down another 2 or 3 inches it would be alright but it is stressing the already weak factory hoses. Going to Lowe's later to get large vacuum hose to see what I can do in terms of relocating it. Feel like it's going to be a little janky but gotta do what you gotta do at this point. Would love to see what you ended up doing. You may have come up with a more reasonable and clean solution.
Honestly bro, I stuck it right under the manifold .. but I'm not convinced this is the best way
Hopefully getting to an Indy soon to have them verify. I don't want to give false guidance … das where I'm at. :/
If YOU come up with something, post that bad boy!
      11-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #279
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Does anyone have the MSV70 vs MSV80 Throttle body pin out? I'm gunna cut the connector off of a car at the yard and try to re-pin it for the N54 TB.

Though I do see 6 vs 8 pins
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 02:42 PM   #280
E90_slides
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 325i 6MT

Quote:

You boosted your n52??
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #281
E90_slides
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Do you remember if they have the same pin layout? Same colored wires? Is the pin layout the same just the plug is a different shape?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #282
Raimund
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bae View Post
Do you remember if they have the same pin layout? Same colored wires? Is the pin layout the same just the plug is a different shape?
I do not remember. The plug is definitely a different shape.
22RPD Vendor - 2006 330i - N54 Intake Manifold l N54 Throttle Body l Gruppe-M Intake l MILVS l 22RPD E85 Tune l S65 Injectors l HZ Racing Headers l TCKLINE SA Coilovers l M3 Front Arms l VWETISH Diff Brace l 3,91 Differential
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 10:14 AM   #283
MOD.Works
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130

Anyone running an N54 intake with a MAFless StageFB tune?

I have a Stage FB N54/MILVS/headers tune. I'm fine with that and don't want to bother Bob with stupid questions. I know they have a lot to do. I prefer to ask something when I really need it.
And I'm still not sure if I even need the MAFless tune. I have a few experiments going where I could leave the MAF out. The space is very small and the IAT sensor can be placed more easily.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 09:40 PM   #284
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

It's difficult to make the no-MAF tune work with headers. you have to re-tune the PID loop of the primary O2 sensors to whatever headers you have. Not impossible, but it is difficult and time intensive.

I'd go ahead and ask but I wouldn't be shocked if the answer is no. I've had good and bad luck using factory no-MAF settings (and copying the PID loop from the Z4M), but have also had several that just wouldn't work no matter what I tried.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #285
MOD.Works
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
It's difficult to make the no-MAF tune work with headers. you have to re-tune the PID loop of the primary O2 sensors to whatever headers you have. Not impossible, but it is difficult and time intensive.

I'd go ahead and ask but I wouldn't be shocked if the answer is no. I've had good and bad luck using factory no-MAF settings (and copying the PID loop from the Z4M), but have also had several that just wouldn't work no matter what I tried.
Thanks for the answer. I had forgotten to read this topic.
Is MAF table scaling easier to do than MAFless tune?
For example, make a MAF table for a 3.5 inch diameter.

I tried to go to the budget BBDB.
It has problems with adaptations and I get several error codes at first. The TB works really well, after I got the car running and the fault codes cleared. Also adaptions must be removed every time, before starting the car.
The car felt a little stronger at 5800-7000rpm, also the MAF curve was a little higher than the N54 TB MAF curve. I also had a slightly larger intake elbow than what I used with the N54 TB.
Is there anything that can be done about the error codes or that adaptation thing? Or would it be easiest to go Riot Racing TB and pay more.

Last edited by MOD.Works; 08-08-2022 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 11:19 PM   #286
fox2phoenix
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i (M) - N54

Quote:
Does anyone have the MSV70 vs MSV80 Throttle body pin out? I'm gunna cut the connector off of a car at the yard and try to re-pin it for the N54 TB.

Though I do see 6 vs 8 pins
Anybody got info on this?

I’m looking to do this mod/install on my N52 MSV70 330i Track Car.
Appreciate 0