E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 E93 328i Headlight Issue

11-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 E93 328i Headlight Issue

Hi guys, recently I lucked upon a 2011 328i convertible with less than 90k on it for sale. Basically I bought it with little fus because it's from a very reputable dealer in my area and I'm sure they're going to take care of the minor issues I've uncovered so far, but I'd like to see if I even need to mention this one thing to them.

Basically the inner headlights lights sometimes flicker while driving with the headlights on (they're xenons, but if I remember correctly all E93s came with the xenons). So much so that some people flash their lights at me. I've seen it first hand in the reflection off of a restaurant window as I was pulling into their parking lot, they only come on at probably 1/2 power or less and flicker independent of one another randomly a little, but then they go out and won't come on again (as far as I can tell) until I restart the car, and somtimes not at all.
I'm wondering if the previous owner bumped up the voltage on the angel eyes because they're super bright, and if so could that possibly cause this "bleed over" flickering in the inner headlights? If not, what could cause this? Is it worth noting it to the dealer to just have them say they can't repeat the issue and therefore can't troubleshoot it?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The inner light (center most light near the kidney grills) is the adaptive light. It only turns on when you turn the wheel in either direction, only when the light switch is on Auto.
Left side turns on when you turn the wheel left and right when you turn right.
They also turn on when you are in reverse.

Turn your car on, turn the wheel to the left and get out to look at it. The inner light should be on then turn off when you straighten the wheel.

If you manually turn your lights on, it will keep them from working.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This is good to know, but it doesn't explain why they flicker and come on randomly at times. I can be going straight and one will turn on (I can see it reflecting off the back of cars in front of me when we stop at lights etc.). It seems to be mostly the passenger side that I notice.

Also, are the angel eyes supposed to be the DRLs on E93?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I thought them turning on for the adaptive feature was the flickering you were talking about.
They also turn when your turn signal is on.

You can code any lights to be DRL. But I think the halos are the factory DRL.

Does the Frm have any codes on it?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I did confirm that they are acting correctly when turning the wheel today. I wonder if maybe they're 'reacting' to minor inputs of the wheel causing them to flicker? I doubt it, though, because when I was checking them I tried turning the wheel just a couple degrees and the one on that side did not turn on, so it takes a bit of wheel movement to activate them (at least when they're acting right).

I did mention them to the dealer, anyway. I'll see what they say. All in all it's a minor annoyance at worst unless it's pointing to a pending major failure. Hopefully they will do more than just turn on the headlights and say "we couldn't replicate the issue".
Appreciate 0