E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Where to source ZF transmission?

11-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E61 + E36 + E90 scrapheap

Where to source ZF transmission?

I'm starting to think about swapping a ZF6HP into my 09/2008 325i, to replace the GM transmission that's currently in it. According to RealOEM, the same ZF was used across E9X, E82/E88, and E89 Z4 from 09/2010 onwards.

However, looking over some eBay listings, I've only been able to find old (<2007) ZF boxes, GM boxes, and newer ZF boxes from other models (320i, 530i, X5, etc).

Does anyone know if the ZF6HP was used in any Australian E9X 323i/325i post 09/2010? Alternatively, are the ZF6HP's from other cars (e.g. 320d, 335i) compatible, or do they have different torque converter and/or gear ratios?

Help would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 03:43 AM   #2
stalled
WagonLife.
Rep
Drives: E91 323i

Thanks so much for the detailed update on the 323/325 upgrade. Really informative. Would love to do this myself - was the coding difficult, or fairly easy to learn?

I have a E91, but the other option is to just swap it for a 3.0...

As for the transmission - why the ZF? The GM box isn't silky smooth, but from what i've been told can be less finicky than the ZF.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:33 AM   #3
cheerio
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E61 + E36 + E90 scrapheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalled View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed update on the 323/325 upgrade. Really informative. Would love to do this myself - was the coding difficult, or fairly easy to learn?

I have a E91, but the other option is to just swap it for a 3.0...

As for the transmission - why the ZF? The GM box isn't silky smooth, but from what i've been told can be less finicky than the ZF.
The only really difficult part was figuring out the powerclass edit for the MSV80, cause it wasn't published anywhere.
It took some time to learn how to do the programming and coding, but it's all well documented on E90post, with some great step-by-step guides. Just needs some patience.

I did consider a 3.0 swap, but that would've been too much trouble (and money) for me right now, working out of my garage with hand tools. I might try it eventually if a cheap N52B30 lands in my lap. 200kW/270Nm is a big gain over 160kW/250Nm, but I am pretty satisfied with the car's performance already.

As for GM vs. ZF - as far as I'm aware, the GM performs similarly to the earlier ZF box, but the 2007+ ZF revision (6HP19TU) is a bit better.
The pre-2009 GM valve bodies are also a bit unreliable; I have some jerking and shuddering going on, especially between 3rd and 4th, which is supposedly common.
From everything I've heard, the ZF boxes can be finicky, but any problems can generally be fixed by replacing the mechatronics seals and shift solenoids. There's no such easy fix for the GM; the valve body needs to be disassembled for repair.
As for the cherry on top, there are tuning options for the ZF box - Alpina flash (free) and XHP (paid). There's literally nothing available for the GM. AFAIK with the XHP flash, the ZF6 shifts much, much faster than the GM does stock.

As it is right now, I feel like the relatively slow and jerky gearbox is the weak link in the car's drivetrain, so the idea of a ZF swap / mechatronics+fluid service / XHP flash seems very appealing to me.
Appreciate 0