E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ***Eccentric Shaft Sensor (ESS)... Again?

02-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
VJE90
VJE90
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2007 SG E90 328i

***Eccentric Shaft Sensor (ESS)... Again?

This is on a 2007 E90 328i N52 engine with ~64K miles...

Back in October 2016 I replaced the ESS to cure a rough idle during cold starts. The sensor had oil in the contacts which is one of the symptoms for bad ESS. The repair included the sensor, VCG, the VVT gasket and the ESS gasket. Everything went fine, no leaks, no codes and the rough idle was gone.

Well, that didn't last long and just after 3 months and 4,375 miles after the repair I'm getting fault 2A43 again (2A43 Valvetronic, thermic overload protection). P-Code: P107A VVT-Overload Protection Control Motor Current Too High

I checked the sensor and is bone dry; clear the error and it still comes back. I used the Siemens VDO sensor which was exactly the same as the factory one I pulled out (even the same stamps as the BMW one).

I bought all the parts from FCP Euro so I'm about to test their "lifetime warranty" but my question is... Do I have to get all new gaskets again or should I just replace the ESS and reuse the current gaskets?

Could it be the VVT actuator instead of the ESS that is triggering the 2A43?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

There are probably people who will come in and say they've reused gaskets no problem (I even read about someone who soaked them in acetone and reused them...) but I would get new gaskets. They're cheap, and there's no reason you should add the variable of reusing gaskets to your troubleshooting.

That being said, if you still end up in this situation after another ESS, then you might have to look upstream for the real issue.
Appreciate 1
VJE9011.50
      02-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

With that code I wouldn't suspect the sensor. I believe some people fixed that one with a software update, otherwise I'd be leaning towards the motor.

Did you have the code before you replaced the sensor or is it new since then?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
VJE90
VJE90
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2007 SG E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
With that code I wouldn't suspect the sensor. I believe some people fixed that one with a software update, otherwise I'd be leaning towards the motor.

Did you have the code before you replaced the sensor or is it new since then?

Through the many hours researching I read about the software update, but I never had the code before replacing the sensor or after the replacement until recently.

I'm getting the new sensor this Friday - through FCP Euro lifetime warranty including the gaskets - to go open-heart surgery again with the hopes that a lightning doesn't strike the same place twice.

I've tested the motor with INPA and it has not come up with any faults and you can hear it going through the different angles. If the codes come back I'll have to take it to the dealer to see if a software update will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
When you did the sensor, did you look at the wring harness at the DME ? Its been know to back feed into the wiring harness/DME from a leaking eccentric shaft sensor
Appreciate 0