E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Combox Issues and Question about Android Head Unit

01-10-2021, 12:09 AM   #1
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i | 2020 X3 X30i

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Combox Issues and Question about Android Head Unit

Hey guys, so I've been dealing with issues from my Combox ever since the beginning. Firstly, I got the combox for album arts and titles (So I didn't have to use that silly Y adapter). Neither work, album art will work for 1 song then maybe the next, after that it gets stuck. Same goes for titles and time, is there any solution to this? Also, trying to go back a song makes it skip forward rather than going back, no matter when using the buttons on the CIC or the steering wheel. Not sure what is going on with my combox but it has been behaving this way since the start. Is something just wrong with my combox? Anyone elses combox acting strange or is mine just unlucky?

Side question: I was going back and forth with retrofitting NBT or even NBT EVO. Specifically to help with the lack of proper music display. I'm now also thinking of just putting in those android units with carplay and reverse camera and calling it a day. A few things I don't like about that though, for starters, I hate non-oem software. Something about proper NBT EVO retrofits just feel so much better. Second thing, I heard the audio quality from the android head units are not good especially since it gets passed through AUX, that's a big no-no for me. The audio quality is more important to me than having backup camera and what not.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Just put in the MMI box, it's the easiest thing to do in order to get the CIC somewhat up to date. The EQ on the newer units help with the fact that everything goes through the AUX connector for sound.
      01-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #3
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I just ordered the Andream MMI box and back up camera. I don't have a combox, so it does seem like the easiest way to get both BT audio/CarPlay/AndroidAuto and a back up camera in one mod. I also like that it has a 2nd composite video input for a front camera, or any other video source.

It does have the drawback of using the AUX, which is far from ideal. There is this Avin option that someone posted in another thread, have no clue how it works, or if its ADC is any good and would offer an improvement over the AUX.
https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...7-e88-e89.html

I have the base stereo in my car, so that Avin MOST adapter, I don't think, is much use to me...unless I was to use it with a CDC emulator...hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:07 AM   #4
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I just ordered the Andream MMI box and back up camera. I don't have a combox, so it does seem like the easiest way to get both BT audio/CarPlay/AndroidAuto and a back up camera in one mod. I also like that it has a 2nd composite video input for a front camera, or any other video source.

It does have the drawback of using the AUX, which is far from ideal. There is this Avin option that someone posted in another thread, have no clue how it works, or if its ADC is any good and would offer an improvement over the AUX.
https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...7-e88-e89.html

I have the base stereo in my car, so that Avin MOST adapter, I don't think, is much use to me...unless I was to use it with a CDC emulator...hmmm.
Have you received the MMI box yet? I've been thinking about it and I honestly might go that direction than getting a whole android head unit, only because with the MMI box the original screen stays so the screen resolution doesn't get all weird. I notice with the android head units the original CIC displays very weirdly on the new display. That adapter you linked wouldn't work in my case, I have a custom audio system and I started off with base audio which is far from the MOST system that L7/HK uses..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
I have one of the latest versions of the MMI box and the aux audio quality issue are finally fixed. I can switch back and forth between combox and aux and it sounds the same. And I have the L7.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #6
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
A little update: I installed the andream MMI unit and carplay works fine, and I put in a reverse camera. As for the way I routed audio, it was kind of nifty. I made use of my combox retrofit by connecting my phone to the combox via bluetooth (no audio degradation) and then connected the phone to carplay, and it works fine like that, which is great.

Only issue is, because I have TWO harnesses behind my CIC (technicpnp for custom audio, and the andream MMI), the CIC doesnt sit in place properly and the whole front fascia sits forward with ugly gaps and nothing sitting properly. This I will fix this week when I take the time and make the wiring nice and neat.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_James View Post
A little update: I installed the andream MMI unit and carplay works fine, and I put in a reverse camera. As for the way I routed audio, it was kind of nifty. I made use of my combox retrofit by connecting my phone to the combox via bluetooth (no audio degradation) and then connected the phone to carplay, and it works fine like that, which is great.

Only issue is, because I have TWO harnesses behind my CIC (technicpnp for custom audio, and the andream MMI), the CIC doesnt sit in place properly and the whole front fascia sits forward with ugly gaps and nothing sitting properly. This I will fix this week when I take the time and make the wiring nice and neat.
Take the radio cage out and trim the passenger side. I cut off a pretty good portion of it. Makes stuffing the harness and MMI box in there a lot easier.
      03-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #8
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Take the radio cage out and trim the passenger side. I cut off a pretty good portion of it. Makes stuffing the harness and MMI box in there a lot easier.
I ended up taking out the radio cage and the glovebox since I relocated the MMI unit between the radio and glovebox, everything fit's back to normal with no issues
Appreciate 0