E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Lowering tomorrow!!

06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Sorry it's so late - been done since just after 6pm but stopped for take away and DVD afterwards, only just back at the computer. So... start at the start.

Well, started at the back, actually, because I knew it would be easier and quicker. Very straightforward, apart from disassembling the boot lining to get at the strut top nuts - but all the trim panels either screw or pull off.

One of the things I wanted to do was change the bump stops, because there have been a lot of reports on the American side of people lowering and ending up with worse suspension because the original bump stops were too long, and meant the damper had no travel at all once a shorter spring was fitted. What I hadn't realised was just how badly 5 year old bump stops would need changing...

Here's what a new one looks like, for reference:

And here's the one that came off my car this afternoon

Old and new side by side - the new one is from a Z4, it's a good 1cm shorter:

Rear springs from the Eibach Pro-Kit look virtually identical to the outgoing OEM parts:

Then on to the fronts. There are comprehensive DIY guides elsewhere on the forum, and following them proved straightforward too. Similar problem with the front bump stops - the front replacements are from an E36 M3 - easier in this picture to see how much shorter they are to allow for the reduction in damper travel:

Eibach front springs are noticeably shorter than the MSport ones, presumably this is why the kit lowers more at the front than the rear:

One front strut assembled and ready for re-fitting:

Just for sheer WhatTheFuck value, look what I found in between the strut top mount and bearing! As far as I know this car hasn't had any replacement parts or work done to it, so god knows how long this little gift had been hitching a ride:

And, what you presumably all want to see, the finished product. Bear in mind this has had NO time to settle, so may well end up another few mm lower in a week's time.

Before:

After:

As you can see, the rear is virtually identical to the MSport ride height, which is fine by me - I was happy with the rear arch gap anyway. The front is much better now, exactly what I was hoping for.

How does it ride? Absolutely beautifully Finally, after 15ish years driving, I understand what damping is!

While the Eibach springs are firm, they're certainly no firmer than the OE MSport springs. However, what the Bilstein B4S dampers have done is completely eliminate the harsh bounciness from the ride. When the car hits an imperfection in the road now, instead of feeling like it's doing this kind of thing:

VVVVVV

It now feels like this:

Floating along, completely composed, just soaking up the bumps - but in a much more controlled way than, say, the SE suspension. I'm very, very happy with it and would recommend the same setup to anyone else without hesitating.

Once it's had a week or so to settle properly, I'll get an alignment sorted out.
      06-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #24
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Looks good! Front end didn't give you any greif?

I love the ride comfort on my Weitec coilovers, silky smooth yet totally transforms the car. You really do get what you pay for on suspension!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #25
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Nope, all relatively straightforward Would have been even quicker and easier had I not reassembled the first (offside) front strut using the nearside new damper though

Less haste, more speed and all that...
      06-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #26
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Paul, as Americans say, 'Car look sick'.
When we did not hear from you, I assumed you were fidling with your iphone to see if that would work with this kit .

When I fitted M sports retrofit kit, I found my bump stopper (dampers in BMW language) as bad as yours.

The other difference was M sports rear spring was one coil less and thicker (makred as D3 on springs) compared to SE springs (marked as C1 on springs).

But going on to M sports suspension with RFTs, ride is bumpy on rough roads. I can see non-RFTs coming soon on 19s and later same setup as yours.

Last edited by makkan00; 06-02-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251637.00
      06-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #27
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
looks good Paul,and will improve as the springs settle.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #28
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Paul, did you go for sports B4 dampers or standard one?
      06-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Good to hear Paul.

A lot of people have PM'ed me about the B4(sport) short dampers and Eibachs when I took a gamble on them too.

You don't need shortened bump stops BTW.
If you check the BMW parts catalogue for the ZSP lowered sport suspension, it uses the same bumpers

PS - those B4S dampers absolutely will NOT accept oem springs, even M-sport, as they are too long for the front dampers.
      06-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #30
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
After fitting, I completely agree. The reported problems in the US must have been using loooooong bump stops from the non-sport setup, with very aggressively lowered springs. As you say, the MSport bump stops would have been absolutely fine with Eibach springs.

And again, considering the B4S are supposed to be OEM replacements for the sport setup, there is no way they'd fit with the MSport springs, the springs would have to be compressed like crazy to even get them on the damper. Very odd.
      06-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #31
skelts
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Looks good and the front end is perfect now. Mod added to the list

how much do you think the rear lowered by? Only reason i ask is because im running 9.5 ET 35 with a 275 tyre at the rear and im worried about rubbing.

Audi RS5 - Sold
BMW 640d Gran Coupe
BMW F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #32
jada07515
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Looks good mate nice write up
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelts View Post
Looks good and the front end is perfect now. Mod added to the list

how much do you think the rear lowered by? Only reason i ask is because im running 9.5 ET 35 with a 275 tyre at the rear and im worried about rubbing.
I honestly don't think the rear is lowered at all from the stock MSport height. That's fine though, it's sitting level now
      06-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #34
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
considering the B4S are supposed to be OEM replacements for the sport setup, there is no way they'd fit with the MSport springs
That is because B4S are replacements for the BMW ZSP sports kit (performance suspension kit) and not the M-Sport Paul.

HTH
Steve
      06-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #35
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Interesting... They're specifically sold as OEM replacements for vehicles with sports suspension - which to me, would suggest sport or MSport rather than an aftermarket setup. I have no doubt you're right though, having seen them.
      06-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #36
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

I think the BMW Performance kit is a development of the tried and tested B4S damper, selling it as a 'replacement' for OEM Sports is the nearest marketing approximation for them.

Regards the question on bumpstops, yes you can get away with the stock length ones but its not ideal, I've been there and tried it.

The ones that BMW sell with the Performance kit are much shorter than OEM MSport so they must think its a good idea.

Cheers

Yves

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Interesting... They're specifically sold as OEM replacements for vehicles with sports suspension - which to me, would suggest sport or MSport rather than an aftermarket setup. I have no doubt you're right though, having seen them.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #37
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Very nice paul, looks good.

The birds B3 suspension kit (Bilstein B6 based?) is run without any bumps stops at the express instruction of Birds and the kit designer (bmw call them 'addtional dampers').

Both those springs in the pictures are look linear rate to me as the coils are uniform and equal, it is also impossible to tell by looking at the spring off the car how it will sit.

A longer spring of a lower rate will sit lower for example (like birds rear tourer spring is longer than standard but a lower rate, so its sits lower).

Conversely a shorter spring of a higher rate (like the eibach fronts are) could well sit higher than standard if the vehicle weight has not been calculated properly (i.e. light engined models).

Last edited by doughboy; 07-16-2012 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #38
Suntzu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post

Regards the question on bumpstops, yes you can get away with the stock length ones but its not ideal, I've been there and tried it.

The ones that BMW sell with the Performance kit are much shorter than OEM MSport so they must think its a good idea.

Cheers

Yves
I'm about to order eibach pro kit and Bilstein B4S. Do I need the Msport bumpstops or the BMW performance ones? Appreciate any advice you may have.

The ebaywe I was about to order from is telling me I need normal B4 for Eibach pro - but I know this is wrong and will order elsewhere.

I'm seriously hoping the 17" stock BMW wheels with RFT wont be painful on this new combo!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #39
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
17" RFT should be ok, there's plenty of sidewall there

If you've got the choice, get the BMWP bump stops - ot the M3/Z4 ones I used. May as well give your new springs and shocks a chance to do their job properly
      03-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #40
Suntzu
Private
Rep

Great. I hope my local dealer can dig up the bump stop numbers. Im ony looking at about $580 plus delivery to austalia vs $865 for Pro kit fsd option. What a bargain! I'm not convinced the fsd's will go the distance on a lowered set up.

Some people are saying bilsteins have integrated bumpstops on the front, yet i see you and others are using them. Confusing. Im just going to get them.

I've only had this 330i for two weeks and cant believe the low cost and high quality aftermarket options - its fantastic!

Is there any other suspension components worth refreshing given my cars 8 years old. Top mounts? Not up to speed on this.

Also i was thinking poly bushes for sway bars to beef them up at same time? Opinion?

Thanks heaps
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #41
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
Great. I hope my local dealer can dig up the bump stop numbers. Im ony looking at about $580 plus delivery to austalia vs $865 for Pro kit fsd option. What a bargain! I'm not convinced the fsd's will go the distance on a lowered set up.

Some people are saying bilsteins have integrated bumpstops on the front, yet i see you and others are using them. Confusing. Im just going to get them.

I've only had this 330i for two weeks and cant believe the low cost and high quality aftermarket options - its fantastic!

Is there any other suspension components worth refreshing given my cars 8 years old. Top mounts? Not up to speed on this.

Also i was thinking poly bushes for sway bars to beef them up at same time? Opinion?

Thanks heaps
Yes, SOME front Bilsteins have integral bumpers mate.
I had the Hartge dampers in all corners for a while, they are revalved Bilstein (B6?).
You could never fit oem bumpers to them as the shafts are too thick.
However, like others had found they developed a terminal knock inside so I scrapped them (they were used already)
The B4S are very short travel and you MUST have shortened coils - like the ZSP or the Eibach Pro Kit or you wont ever get them on board

I will add that I did the same mods you are contemplating and I had the 335i SE.
So, sports suspension to begin with. My bump stops looked shorter than Pauls in the photos above.

Steve
      04-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #42
Suntzu
Private
Rep

Im still a little worried about going too low with pro-kit and B4S.

Is it possible to use 15mm spring pads all round to bring up the total height of this combo??
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #43
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I suppose you could - but you'd lose all the drop of the springs. If that's a concern, stick with your stock springs and just change the dampers.

Pro-kit isn't low though, see the pics earlier in the thread.
      04-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #44
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
Im still a little worried about going too low with pro-kit and B4S.

Is it possible to use 15mm spring pads all round to bring up the total height of this combo??
Absolutely NO.

There isn't sufficient clearance.

You will get coil-bound (if you can even get them to fit).