E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Cheap HPDE rotors?

02-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
tullnd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i A/T

Cheap HPDE rotors?

I'm about to run my first HPDE in April. This will be one of maybe two events in this car(I'll have a dedicated track next season probably).

I'm running two days at Putnam Park. My car is an 09 with the original pads and rotors. I'm sure I'll be super aggressive on the rotors since this is my first experience.

I'm getting new pads and fluid and priced out some basic rotors(Zimmerman coated at about $350 for all 4corners). However, I'm curious if there's any cheap track day options out there? Only because I'm worried I'll be abusing these with typical novice heavy early braking, and maybe end up having to replace them again shortly after.

On my old Subaru, the popular option was Autozone rotors at like $20/corner(less than 12" in diameter and solid, not vented). Even if they had stress fractures at the end of the day, who cared? Throw them away and put your dailies back on.

I don't mind spending $350 for replacements...I just don't want to find out I burned through half their life on the two days at Putnam. I'd rather use some crappy $200 rotors first to nearly destroy and then put the nicer ones on afterwards.

Has anyone come across any viable options?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

I don't have an answer to your question but I'd like to share my experience with my '08 e90 335. I would go through 2 sets of stock pads for every set of stock rotors I went through. It took a long time before I bumped up against the limitations of stock braking system. Also, the rate at which I used up brakes increased as I got faster. I didn't see significant brake wear until I had completed 10ish driving schools. I feel like I was a slow learner but who knows. Plus, I wasn't bothered by a long pedal towards the end of a session, it happens to the pros too.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

The rotors will hold up fine for 2 track days. No noticable wear
      02-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
The stock rotors work just fine as noted, no worries. Mine are still OK after 21 track days, 13 of which were with race pads!

You could get some OEM Z4 35is rotors, which are a direct fit replacement when yours need replacing (I'm planning on it). They're lighter and two-piece and only a bit more than the standard OEM rotors for our cars:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433287

P.S. I observe novices don't brake hard enough, so if anything you'll be easier on your brakes now vs. later. Short + hard braking is the way to go, but it's something that's learned over time. Just listen to your instructor.
      02-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullnd View Post
I'm about to run my first HPDE in April. This will be one of maybe two events in this car(I'll have a dedicated track next season probably).

I'm running two days at Putnam Park. My car is an 09 with the original pads and rotors. I'm sure I'll be super aggressive on the rotors since this is my first experience.

I'm getting new pads and fluid and priced out some basic rotors(Zimmerman coated at about $350 for all 4corners). However, I'm curious if there's any cheap track day options out there? Only because I'm worried I'll be abusing these with typical novice heavy early braking, and maybe end up having to replace them again shortly after.

On my old Subaru, the popular option was Autozone rotors at like $20/corner(less than 12" in diameter and solid, not vented). Even if they had stress fractures at the end of the day, who cared? Throw them away and put your dailies back on.

I don't mind spending $350 for replacements...I just don't want to find out I burned through half their life on the two days at Putnam. I'd rather use some crappy $200 rotors first to nearly destroy and then put the nicer ones on afterwards.

Has anyone come across any viable options?
z4 35is rotors
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

eh.. I had the Z4 35is 2-piece rotors for a pretty penny, but I observed no difference between that, the OEM 335i rotors, and Centrics from Tirerack ($82/rotor). I tracked 15 days last season, switching the rotors back and forth couple times.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...lar=Base+Model
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
eh.. I had the Z4 35is 2-piece rotors for a pretty penny, but I observed no difference between that, the OEM 335i rotors, and Centrics from Tirerack ($82/rotor). I tracked 15 days last season, switching the rotors back and forth couple times.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...lar=Base+Model
Cheap generic rotors from TR is the way to go. I got 5-6 weekends out of my fronts and my rears still have meat left. And I don't even bother switching back for street unlike Wonho, king of changing rotors unnecessarily... butane torch and all (don't ask, I have no idea)...

Me: "Hi my name is Dan"
WH: "HI my name is Wonho and I like to change rotors"
Me: "Hmm... cool, nice to meet you"
      02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Me: "Hi my name is Dan"
WH: "HI my name is Wonho and I like to change rotors"
Me: "Hmm... cool, nice to meet you"
LOL

I heard that's a good pickup line for ladies though (I could be wrong about that).
      02-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
LOL

I heard that's a good pickup line for ladies though (I could be wrong about that).
I donno man, picking up chicks at the track can go very South, at least in my messed up head
Lady: "Can do give me a brake job?"
Me: "Sure, i'd love to fill you up with fresh... fluid and... bleed them out... for ya"
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
I donno man, picking up chicks at the track can go very South, at least in my messed up head
Lady: "Can do give me a brake job?"
Me: "Sure, i'd love to fill you up with fresh... fluid and... bleed them out... for ya"
For the record, the young girl at the NJMP clubhouse changed into a turtleneck (mind you this was in June) after meeting Wonho.
      02-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
For the record, the young girl at the NJMP clubhouse changed into a turtleneck (mind you this was in June) after meeting Wonho.
It must had been the "bleed them out" part that caused a reaction to the point of no return
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokTurNaL 330i View Post
It must had been the "bleed them out" part that caused a reaction to the point of no return
didn't even get a chance to drop that line.. you know how you gaze at something for a long time when you're in a deep thought? well coincidentally it was at her nice personalities for some reason, and didn't even realize she was staring back at me. then we had an awkward eye contact, followed by the girl running out crying... wtf, I'm innocent here.

Quote:
Cheap generic rotors from TR is the way to go. I got 5-6 weekends out of my fronts and my rears still have meat left. And I don't even bother switching back for street unlike Wonho, king of changing rotors unnecessarily... butane torch and all (don't ask, I have no idea)...
Didn't know about the new way of bedding it in? just make sure to point the flame at the pads evenly in a circular motion, then start rubbing them on the rotors.
Appreciate 0