E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Exhaust Valve Question

02-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #1
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Exhaust Valve Question

I recently did the half PE mod and installed a valvetronic controller to be able to open and close the valve with the remote. After install, the remote would not open and close the exhaust valve. I disconnected the vacuum hose from under the car and tested the remote again and noticed that vacuum would change when I press the different buttons. This confirms that the valvetronic controller is working properly. However, when I had the vacuum hose disconnected, it felt like there was not enough vacuum to open and close the vavle. To test, I plugged the standard connector back in to have the exhaust valve operate normally. The valve was open when I plugged it in and I drove the car that night. The next morning I found that the valve was closed. I plugged the valvetronic controller back in and I could not get the exhaust valve to open. So there was enough vacuum while driving to open and close the valve, but not at idle. Could the exhaust valve solenoid in the trunk by the tail light be going bad or could I have a leak in a vacuum hose up at the intake manifold? Note: I have had the exhaust valve plug in the trunk unplugged for 3 year (I was able to manually push the exhaust valve to open and close it)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
      02-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #2
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

So you hooked the car up to factory settings and exhaust baffles operated normally, if I read that right.. You than added a "valvetronic controller" and it doesn't operate normally any more.. What do you think your problem is...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
So you hooked the car up to factory settings and exhaust baffles operated normally, if I read that right.. You than added a "valvetronic controller" and it doesn't operate normally any more.. What do you think your problem is...
I don't think there is enough vacuum at idle for the controller or even the factory setting to work. The Valvetronic controller works, but there isn't enough vacuum to get the valve in the exhaust to open and close at idle.
      02-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I see.. You can do some line testing ...
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-pump/JaZmwoDM

Last edited by TunafishE93; 02-17-2020 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
You're going to neeed this. 3.5mm ID.
https://www.verociousmotorsports.com...ld-by-the-Foot
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:38 PM   #6
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
You're saying I need to replace the vacuum lines from intake manifold?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
Quote:
You're saying I need to replace the vacuum lines from intake manifold?
Yes I had to replace mind because it was cracked and leaking vacuum but the hose wasn't available separately.
The part number simply doesn't exist.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes I had to replace mind because it was cracked and leaking vacuum but the hose wasn't available separately.
Do you remember which hoses you had to replace? Any guidance on their location would be great. I know of the vacuum hoses coming off the boost solenoid but not sure of the other's that will lead to the exhaust valve solenoid.

Thanks!
      02-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Do you remember which hoses you had to replace? Any guidance on their location would be great. I know of the vacuum hoses coming off the boost solenoid but not sure of the other's that will lead to the exhaust valve solenoid.

Thanks!
The other port in the valve cover (not boost solenoid) goes to the driver's side strut tower and then connects to a vacuum hose that runs all the way to the exhaust flap actuator in the trunk. I only needed to replace the short hose (valve cover to strut tower). Check if there's any enigne oil in the hose. If yes then your vacuum pump is pumping up oil. It happened to me and my valve cover vacuum chamber was filled with engine oil.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NRigs91.00
      02-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The other port in the valve cover (not boost solenoid) goes to the driver's side strut tower and then connects to a vacuum hose that runs all the way to the exhaust flap actuator in the trunk. I only needed to replace the short hose (valve cover to strut tower). Check if there's any enigne oil in the hose. If yes then your vacuum pump is pumping up oil. It happened to me and my valve cover vacuum chamber was filled with engine oil.
Thank you for the info. Did you also have to replace your valve cover to stop oil from getting into the hose?
      02-18-2020, 11:49 AM   #11
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the info. Did you also have to replace your valve cover to stop oil from getting into the hose?
I replaced the valve cover first and then replaced the vacuum pump 2 weeks later.
The new valve cover already got some oil in that time frame so the shop extracted every bit of it for me.
Be very careful when replacing the hoses. The nipples can be fragile if the valve cover is old. Someone suggested cutting the old hose in half with a razor blade but I didn't have to do that because my valve cover was brand new.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #12
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
I think you should check if the hose is actually leaking though.
Appreciate 1
NRigs91.00
      02-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I replaced the valve cover first and then replaced the vacuum pump 2 weeks later.
The new valve cover already got some oil in that time frame so the shop extracted every bit of it for me.
Be very careful when replacing the hoses. The nipples can be fragile if the valve cover is old. Someone suggested cutting the old hose in half with a razor blade but I didn't have to do that because my valve cover was brand new.
Where is the vacuum pump located?
      02-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Where is the vacuum pump located?
It's attached to the HPFP.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's attached to the HPFP.
This looks like a worst case scenario. I am hoping it is just the vacuum hoses that are a bit old and have cracked.
      02-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This looks like a worst case scenario. I am hoping it is just the vacuum hoses that are a bit old and have cracked.
It is. Good luck. The vacuum may not even be your problem.
Appreciate 1
NRigs91.00
      02-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Took everything off the top of the engine to inspect the rubber hose coming from the valve cover. It was slightly cracked and brittle at one end of the hose. No oil was in the hose. I put everything back together and made sure the hose wouldn't be pinched or anything. After I did this, it felt like there was more vacuum at the vacuum has at the exhaust valve. The exhaust valve was able to close when I pressed the buttons on the valve controller but it still wouldn't open. I manually opened and close the valve a bunch of times and it was eventually able to open and close via the valve controller. Works like a charm now.