E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Inner front tire wear

08-15-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
virk007
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
Inner front tire wear

Hey guys,

I recently came down to Chicago from Toronto. Before coming down I changed my front tires because the inside edges were balding, so I put on two mint tires on before making the trip. Last week I noticed my new tires are starting to bald from the inside as well. I did alignment 6 months ago. I'm starting to think it may be bad control arms and tie rods. I usually buy parts from fcpeuro. Any recommendations on shops that reputable and well priced? Thanks
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
Hey guys,

I recently came down to Chicago from Toronto. Before coming down I changed my front tires because the inside edges were balding, so I put on two mint tires on before making the trip. Last week I noticed my new tires are starting to bald from the inside as well. I did alignment 6 months ago. I'm starting to think it may be bad control arms and tie rods. I usually buy parts from fcpeuro. Any recommendations on shops that reputable and well priced? Thanks
I had an odd wobble at over 70, which was partly due to a wheel out of balance. The shop had me look at the control arms and pointed put that they hydraulic bushings are often a culprit on these for wobble, chop, and sometimes left or right alight pull. Sure enough, mine were years ripping.

Are the roads heavily chanted in Canada like they are down here? They do this in the U.S. for runoff and it does cause excessive wear to one side of all 4 tires, typically the left side of all 4 as the driver sits. If you are getting wear to the inside of the front, I would expect alignment issues caused by the rods and/or control arms. First thing I saw here was to check tire pressures and follow what the door says.

My 328i says cold tire pressure of: 32 front, 38 rear as I have 225/45/17 on it. At temp this will cause cupping of wider tires up front and a center tread wear on the rear. Combine the cupping with road cant in the U.S. and the wear to a single side of tires up front is heavier. Once rotated, the process balances out tread wear. However, with cars that have offset tire widths it is the changing of just 2 tires that can be of issue. Haven't had to deal with offset widths since my last muscle car.