E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > $60 Angel Eye Upgrade

Closed Thread

04-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #155
RK_Bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 xDrive 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerometer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghode View Post
Here is a pic of the actual unit I was referring too. The new bulb as a whole just doesn't fit due to the presence of a piece of plastic bracing in the compartment we are working in. Unless someone has a technique that worked for them(?), I'm stuck.
This should work: http://www.nm-motorsport.com/acatalo...n_Fitting.html

I will be installing the same bulbs tonight as well. Good luck!
Brilliant! This would have helped yesterday... Had no idea they unscrewed like that and obviously didn't want to try and break something. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #156
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Installed these yesterday. Everything went smoothly although I used a combination of the their install instructions and LUX instructions. So far (24 hrs) I am happy with these. They installed easily with no problems, codes, flickering etc. As long as they last I am happy. I know that they probably aren't as good as LUX but I am not sure that LUX is 3 times better. Time will tell I guess.

Stock vs LED in daylight

LED close up in daylight

Full on after install completed

I will get some night shots as soon as I can.

Last edited by gtaccord; 04-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Picture links messed up
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #157
TXWatchGuy
Habitual Line-Stepper
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe

I just installed mine which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but I found that if you hold on to the wire, and put the big heatsink end in the corner under the brace that you can LIGHTLY jiggle the wire while pulling to you with one hand and tap on the middle section of the bulb with your other hand that it will seat.

Here is a before and after shot. This is right in front of the car so the outer eye doesn't show too much light, but it's visible in the reflection off my patio door. I might go out and take some pics from further back later tonight.

Sorry about the dead bug menagerie on my front bumper. I did 600 miles this weekend and haven't had time to go for a bath and right now it looks like it's going to rain. I guess I could always take my car for a wash to get the rain started.

The first shot is with GP Thunder 7000k bulbs.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #158
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXWatchGuy View Post
I just installed mine which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but I found that if you hold on to the wire, and put the big heatsink end in the corner under the brace that you can LIGHTLY jiggle the wire while pulling to you with one hand and tap on the middle section of the bulb with your other hand that it will seat.

Here is a before and after shot. This is right in front of the car so the outer eye doesn't show too much light, but it's visible in the reflection off my patio door. I might go out and take some pics from further back later tonight.

Sorry about the dead bug menagerie on my front bumper. I did 600 miles this weekend and haven't had time to go for a bath and right now it looks like it's going to rain. I guess I could always take my car for a wash to get the rain started.

The first shot is with GP Thunder 7000k bulbs.

The outter rings are pretty much not lit at all. that's pretty disappointing. Though with these angel eyes, it highly depends on the viewing angel....
      04-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #159
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
The outter rings are pretty much not lit at all. that's pretty disappointing. Though with these angel eyes, it highly depends on the viewing angel....
maybe itll look better if he posts the pics from further away
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #160
TXWatchGuy
Habitual Line-Stepper
Greece
Rep

This is the best I can do shooting with my iphone. The light from the inside rings bleeds into the lenses, but you can tell from in front of the car that the headlights aren't on or anything. I'll take a couple of pics from further away when I get home from work tomorrow and there's still light out.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #161
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is the best I can do shooting with my iphone. The light from the inside rings bleeds into the lenses, but you can tell from in front of the car that the headlights aren't on or anything. I'll take a couple of pics from further away when I get home from work tomorrow and there's still light out.
do the angel eyes fade in and out when you unlock your car like they do with the stock bulbs?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #162
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Seriously thinking about getting these. They look awesome! The site is just confusing.
      04-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #163
TXWatchGuy
Habitual Line-Stepper
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
do the angel eyes fade in and out when you unlock your car like they do with the stock bulbs?
Yea, they do.

Sorry, I said I was going to get some daytime pics today and there's still some light left, but frankly I'm too lazy to do it. I'll get some tomorrow if it's not raining small animals like they have forecasted.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #164
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Guys,
I had the chance to install these on my M3 sedan and was sorely disappointed. Frankly, I don't think any plug and play LED bulb solution can even match the output of the stock halogen bulbs (including the Lux solution). The optics just won't work with directional LED light. I see a pair of GP Thunders in my future.

Here is a picture for reference (Stock Left / "20W" Cree LED on the right)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #165
dman918
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i x-drive m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerometer View Post
Guys,
I had the chance to install these on my M3 sedan and was sorely disappointed. Frankly, I don't think any plug and play LED bulb solution can even match the output of the stock halogen bulbs (including the Lux solution). The optics just won't work with directional LED light. I see a pair of GP Thunders in my future.

Wha???? If you are disappointed with the light output there, you are certainly not going to be happy with GP Thunders!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #166
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerometer View Post
Guys,

I actually like the way that looks a lot. To each their own, I suppose!

So those of you with E92s, which bulbs are you ordering?

These (same general description, but cheaper): http://www.bmwled.net/e92-led-angel-eyes-marker

Or these (I'm guessing this is what people are buying): http://www.bmwled.net/one-pair-e92-20watts-led-marker-2

And I'm guessing not these since they say they're out of stock: http://www.bmwled.net/one-pair-e92-20watts-led-marker
      04-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #167
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Well I just can't understand why people would settle for solutions that are half the output of the stock angel eyes? This is after all supposed to be an upgrade right ?
      04-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #168
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

So are these dimmer than GP Thunders? They sure look that way from the picture.
      04-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #169
thaking
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 FL / F31 FL

@Accelerometer and @Ghode how you mounted this LED KIT to a car?

http://www.nm-motorsport.com/acatalo...n_Fitting.html

So if I understand this manual in few words: I remove cooler, try to replace existing H8 with AE LED and after that "screw" on back "cooler" ? Does it FITs normally to E90 LCI ?

Do you have any pictures of installation ?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #170
TXWatchGuy
Habitual Line-Stepper
Greece
Rep

Here's a shot of my car today from when I got home. A couple of things to take into consideration... It's a bit cloudier out today than the other day when I installed them. And 2, the inner rings look kinda funky, but they are much more solid. There is a bright spot at the bottom of the passenger side inner ring, but they look all bubbly here. I'm shooting with an iphone and I just have to keep taking pics until one shows all the lights on because the refresh of the screen makes the LED's go light and dark, like you've probably seen on videos where they look like they're flickering.

I may try rotating the passenger side one 1/3 turn to see if it gets rid of the bright spot.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #171
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Here's a shot of my car today from when I got home. A couple of things to take into consideration... It's a bit cloudier out today than the other day when I installed them. And 2, the inner rings look kinda funky, but they are much more solid. There is a bright spot at the bottom of the passenger side inner ring, but they look all bubbly here. I'm shooting with an iphone and I just have to keep taking pics until one shows all the lights on because the refresh of the screen makes the LED's go light and dark, like you've probably seen on videos where they look like they're flickering.

I may try rotating the passenger side one 1/3 turn to see if it gets rid of the bright spot.

awesome front bumper
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #172
dimatrix89
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Installed the bmwled 20watts for my car two weeks ago. For the price, you can't go wrong with these bulbs. Even though the LUX AEs are better, I can't justify paying $250 for two BULBS on my car when they still will not look like the LCI cars.

In regards to the bmwled AEs, the outer rings aren't visible in direct sunlight for e92s, but they do look good when its cloudy or when the sun is going down. The only issue I am having with this set is that I keep getting an Error code CC-ID 378 (sidelight/daytime lights defectiive, left side). I contacted them and they sent me another bulb. After installing the new bulb, I keep getting the same error code. Last night I switched the drivers side and passenger side bulbs to see if I would get error code CC-ID 379 for the right side, or if it will remain the same. I would recommend buying this set for those looking for a cheap solution as long as this error code goes away.

I used to have blue Weisslicht AEs (3rd picture) that everyone hated on this website, yet everyone on the road would honk at me giving me the thumbs up. I ultimately switched to white leds because my gf hated the blue and I was tired of hearing it haha. Appologize if some of the pics aren't great quality, as these images are off my phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #173
dman918
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i x-drive m-sport

Note that the old version bulbs are now available for sale and the other set are sold out. When I emailed them about these, they replied that they've been having issues with the ones now sold out. Could be the issue at hand here with the inconsistent reviews on this post.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #174
dewey4262
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 28i

I very recently ordered the bulbs that are now shown as sold out. My bulbs look very similar to TXWatchGuy's in that the outer rings are not very visible during the day. I wonder if this is due to the problem BMWLED is referring to.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #175
Artemis335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

I recently just received the mine through the mail and tried to install with no luck. It was too big for the light compartment. I saw the link on how to do it below and was still unable to do it. It is such a pain to do this.

http://www.nm-motorsport.com/acatalo...n_Fitting.html

Any place around Orange County area that install these?

I currently drive a e92 2010 335 coupe with the angel eye and xenon lighting. I ordered these angel eye and I think I bought the wrong ones.

http://www.bmwled.net/one-pair-e92-20watts-led-marker-2

Last edited by Artemis335; 04-11-2013 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Had to update link to the process of installing the led
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #176
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

You would think BMW would allow a little extra room for bulbs.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread