E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Auto-Dimming side mirrors

01-13-2015, 02:42 AM   #1
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Auto-Dimming side mirrors

I've got a set of M3 side mirrors to go on the car.

They are folding/auto-dimming. Now I tried one the other day to check them out and although they have the same number of pins as my existing loom, all the functionality works except the auto-dimming part. Tested it and the interior mirror dimmed but the side one didn't.

Now I would have thought they'd just work but unsure.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Raj
      01-13-2015, 03:14 AM   #2
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

probably some coding required, maybe give makkan a shout. he will probably give you some vague idea what's required.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 04:36 AM   #3
eddiem74
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 325i M-Sport Coupe

Hi Raj,

My car has option: S431A INTERIOR REAR-VIEW MIRROR WITH AUTO DIP which is just for the rear view mirror dimming.

However I think for the exterior auto dimming mirror to work the car vehicle order (VO) needs to be coded to add option: S430A INTERIOR/OUTSIDE MIRROR WITH AUTO DIP - I am unsure if option S431A should be removed if S430A is added, but I am sure a coding expert will confirm?

Then you just need to ensure in the CAS module that SPIEGEL_ELEKTROCHROM is set (i.e. coded) to "aktiv".

I am a bit of a coding novice but this seems like a coding issue.

Cheers,
Eddie
      01-13-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube View Post
probably some coding required, maybe give makkan a shout. he will probably give you some vague idea what's required.
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiem74 View Post
Hi Raj,

My car has option: S431A INTERIOR REAR-VIEW MIRROR WITH AUTO DIP which is just for the rear view mirror dimming.

However I think for the exterior auto dimming mirror to work the car vehicle order (VO) needs to be coded to add option: S430A INTERIOR/OUTSIDE MIRROR WITH AUTO DIP - I am unsure if option S431A should be removed if S430A is added, but I am sure a coding expert will confirm?

Then you just need to ensure in the CAS module that SPIEGEL_ELEKTROCHROM is set (i.e. coded) to "aktiv".

I am a bit of a coding novice but this seems like a coding issue.

Cheers,
Eddie
Cheers for the post Eddie.

That does help and confirm my suspicions. Will get them fitted this evening and worry about the coding side another day lol.
      01-13-2015, 05:05 AM   #5
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

As eddie said above - if your car didnt have auto dimming on your factory mirrors its likely that line isnt set to be aktiv in your CAS module... i would of thought just setting that to aktiv they should be ok to go...if not then adding the code to the VO should settle it.

are the m3 mirrors electric folding? are they folding ok when you hit button?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 06:08 AM   #6
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
As eddie said above - if your car didnt have auto dimming on your factory mirrors its likely that line isnt set to be aktiv in your CAS module... i would of thought just setting that to aktiv they should be ok to go...if not then adding the code to the VO should settle it.

are the m3 mirrors electric folding? are they folding ok when you hit button?
Yup they are electric folding and that functionality works (but that's as my OE ones are too).
      01-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #7
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M sport

Pretty sure there's an option for this in BMWhat app as I accidentally enabled it on my non dimming exterior mirrors and then wondered why I was getting fault codes logged for the LIN Bus
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube View Post
Thanks for mentioning.
I commented on one of OP's thread. Not even a word of thanks!

Why wasting time on those who do not acknowledge / appreciate your time?

01-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks for mentioning.
I commented on one of OP's thread. Not even a word of thanks!

Why wasting time on those who do not acknowledge / appreciate your time?

Apologies if I missed that but I can assure you it isn't wasting time and is always appreciated. I always appreciate people taking the time to answer questions I have asked. The only other thread I've started I put a general thanks for the replies and not a specific one

I also wouldn't take it so personally as it's not always possible to always thank every time a post is put up.

Last edited by RajB; 01-13-2015 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks to cupraraj for popping over and activating the option for me. Was just a simple setting from non active to active in the FRM file.
      10-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

Bumping this old thread. Is there a harness that needs to be purchased/installed as well?

I have an e90 with S431A but no S430a. I'd like to pick up the dimming mirror glass but want to know if I need a harness as well. If I recall there was a thread I came across once that mentioned the existing harness has 3 pins, and my 3rd pin is probably un-terminated at this point since I don't have folding/heating/dimming.

Edit: Are all side mirrors on E9x heated? Or only those with cold weather package?

Last edited by leif20; 10-16-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you need whole bode assembly from autodimming mirrors to connect autodim mirror glasses to them
      10-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #13
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you need whole bode assembly from autodimming mirrors to connect autodim mirror glasses to them
Oh Wow. So I need the entire housing? The autodim mirror lens won't snap in to the non-autodim mirror place?

I see you did the conversion in your signature.
      10-17-2019, 12:59 AM   #14
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

The electronics in the mirror - which decode lin bus signals for movement, heating, folding, and dimming are different. A non dimming mirror hasn't any wires present to connect to the chromatic glass.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
The electronics in the mirror - which decode lin bus signals for movement, heating, folding, and dimming are different. A non dimming mirror hasn't any wires present to connect to the chromatic glass.
So the mirror doesn't have the right hardware, but does the car have a harness that does? On a car without s430A does the harness that goes to the mirror have less wires than one with s430A?

If my car does not have s430A, what parts do I need to add autodim mirrors? Entire mirror housing was mentioned here already, safe to assume this contains the mirror glass. Isn't the only part that I care about the mirror glass though? Other than the motor I wouldn't expect any parts to be different between the mirror housings.
      10-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

You don't technically need the housing if you get the electronics from a donor mirror with chromatic glass.
But if you've got that you may aswell just fit the donor mirror. The car side of it is the same to the best of my knowledge with the dimming signal transmitted over LIN
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #17
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You don't technically need the housing if you get the electronics from a donor mirror with chromatic glass.
But if you've got that you may aswell just fit the donor mirror. The car side of it is the same to the best of my knowledge with the dimming signal transmitted over LIN
Thanks. I'm hoping to go to a junkyard and see if I can grab the mirror glass, and pull my existing mirrors to run the wires through. I'm hoping it's plug and play from there.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

I'm not sure if i'll have to remove the mirror from the donor car as well as from my car. Correct me if I am wrong, but In the above pics it looks like these are auto-dimming mirrors since the glass is a clear colour.

It looks like the harness going to the glass is slightly different than the one that goes through the body panel to the mirror. So do I need this wiring too? I suppose this would mean needing to remove the mirror from the donor car and my car as well, it wouldn't be a simple pop off and then pop on.
      10-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

If I'm reading this correctly you're still not grasping that the chromatic glass needs different (additional) control circuitry within the mirror in order to make it work.
There are no additional wires that you can 'pull through'. Inside the mirror is a control unit which only requires 3 incoming wires; Power, ground and data. Those 3 wires are sufficient to control all functions of the mirror. Coming out of the control unit (the spec of which varies according to equipment level) is wiring to run the individual functions of the mirror. Ie. Movement, heating, folding, dimming.
On a low spec car with only movement and heating there are no wires present for additional functionality.
A folding mirror (but not dimming) has 1 extra set of wires to the motor.
Chromatic mirrors would also have folding as the options are bundled but crucially they also have further additional wiring to operate the chromatic glass.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #19
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly you're still not grasping that the chromatic glass needs different (additional) control circuitry within the mirror in order to make it work.
Thanks for your patience, I think I understand now.
A bit further research shows that there are different parts for the control system circuitry in the mirror (#7):

On ecstuning they sell these parts.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/67136972540/

Would it be sufficient to buy this component and the chromatic mirror glass in order to retrofit the HARDWARE to the vehicle? After that, the CAS module needs to be coded to enable the chromatic mirrors, if I understand correctly.

Can the bimmergeeks tool code the CAS?

Last edited by leif20; 10-18-2019 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #20
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Yes that would be feasible.
Appreciate 1
leif2030.00