E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Window anti trap issue after retrofitting frm3

02-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
yusufm786
Private
Rep
Drives: 323i

Window anti trap issue after retrofitting frm3

Hi guys

I have a pre 03/07 e90 which came with frm1. I retrofitted frm3 into it and things seem to be working well, but my two front windows are now giving me an anti trap error and are only moving up and down about a cm at a time. I tried the manual methods on the net to reset it (full window up and hold switch in open position for 20s and then do the same when window is closed) but it doesn't seem to work. I know with inpa on frm1, I could reset the sensor from inpa, but it doesn't seem to give me the option for the new frm. Can someone please tell me how to sort it out, possibly on inpa or tool32, because the manual method doesn't seem to work.

Maybe I should mention - I think the FRM module came from a e82. It seems others have had a similar problem when they did this retrofit. However, it doesn't make sense to me because I have updated it to the latest software using winkfp - its on coding index c32, and when I read the info from NCS expert, it uses the file FRM3_E89.c32. It also has my VIN and VO coded onto it - so from my understanding it's basically fully coded to a e90. All lights work perfectly as well from what I can make out.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Search
Initialisation of windows and perform that.
      05-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #3
kckirch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Blacked Out E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusufm786 View Post
Hi guys

I have a pre 03/07 e90 which came with frm1. I retrofitted frm3 into it and things seem to be working well, but my two front windows are now giving me an anti trap error and are only moving up and down about a cm at a time. I tried the manual methods on the net to reset it (full window up and hold switch in open position for 20s and then do the same when window is closed) but it doesn't seem to work. I know with inpa on frm1, I could reset the sensor from inpa, but it doesn't seem to give me the option for the new frm. Can someone please tell me how to sort it out, possibly on inpa or tool32, because the manual method doesn't seem to work.

Maybe I should mention - I think the FRM module came from a e82. It seems others have had a similar problem when they did this retrofit. However, it doesn't make sense to me because I have updated it to the latest software using winkfp - its on coding index c32, and when I read the info from NCS expert, it uses the file FRM3_E89.c32. It also has my VIN and VO coded onto it - so from my understanding it's basically fully coded to a e90. All lights work perfectly as well from what I can make out.
Did you ever find this fix. I am having an identical issue to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckirch View Post
Quote:
Hi guys

If you coded it correctly meaning you wrote the VIN from CAS to NFRM and then coded the FRM then you can initialize the windows via inpa, tool32 or Ista
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:57 AM   #5
yusufm786
Private
Rep
Drives: 323i

Quote:
Yes I did fix it however it was a few years ago so I’m slightly hazy on the details. What I can recall doing for sure however, is manually flashing the module via winkfp so all associated files were for the e89. Key was to ensure all files were for e89 because the e82 only has 2 windows.

After that, I can’t recall if I manually initialized it via the window buttons (most likely), but it’s also possible via ista
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
kckirch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
If you coded it correctly meaning you wrote the VIN from CAS to NFRM and then coded the FRM then you can initialize the windows via inpa, tool32 or Ista
My issue with using INPA right now due to the upgrade INPA still thinks the FRM1 is in the vehicle so it is running FRM_87 and not FRM_70.

I know if I could get that working I can do the window reset function. I tried looking in tool32 but I could not translate good enough to find the function to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
kckirch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes I did fix it however it was a few years ago so I’m slightly hazy on the details. What I can recall doing for sure however, is manually flashing the module via winkfp so all associated files were for the e89. Key was to ensure all files were for e89 because the e82 only has 2 windows.

After that, I can’t recall if I manually initialized it via the window buttons (most likely), but it’s also possible via ista

What is driving my crazy right now is that Winkfp will not let me update the module as it can not find the proper ZUSB for it to suggest the upgrade. Not sure what is happening with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:

What is driving my crazy right now is that Winkfp will not let me update the module as it can not find the proper ZUSB for it to suggest the upgrade. Not sure what is happening with it.
Prog zb update it, you don't need to find the correct zb file. That defeats the purpose of prog zb update since winkfp will automatically choose the correct file for you
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
kckirch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Prog zb update it, you don't need to find the correct zb file. That defeats the purpose of prog zb update since winkfp will automatically choose the correct file for you
I am not sure of what the initial error I was getting. But I was trying to do that as I have always done with my modules. It would show the proper old to new numbers then spit out an error.

I just reupdated the WINKFP datens in hope and after trying 3 times with WINKFP it had finally got the VIN to stick to it and update. Now my only issue is back to the windows not getting initialized. I got an older version of INPA to open with FRM_70 but when I do the front window activate they go down their 1" and thats all. Not the full up and down as I was expecting.

Not sure what is really going on with them. Thats the only problem with this FRM3 right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
My issue with using INPA right now due to the upgrade INPA still thinks the FRM1 is in the vehicle so it is running FRM_87 and not FRM_70.

I know if I could get that working I can do the window reset function. I tried looking in tool32 but I could not translate good enough to find the function to do it.
You will also need to update your VO to reflect a newer manufacture date, so that it will use FRM_70. You don't have to do a FA_WRITE, and I'd recommend not. Just change the date, then default code the NFRM to see if that fixes your issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
tdseb
Rep
Drives: bmw s1 E87, bmw x3 xdrive 3.5

Quote:
Hello friend, did you find a solution? I have exactly the same problem and I don't know what else to do. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
dj_aivan
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 320D

It is only necessary: open Inpa - click on e90 - click on Body - click on FRM_70 and
- click on - Activate - "Initialisation of windows" For me, that was the solution to the problem.

If you cannot select FRM_70 . Write in CAS # 0909 and hit "FA_WRITE" . Then do step 1

You do not need to use WinKFP

If you need a working file for FRM3 with dynamic Xenon please email me personally I will give you mine.

Check out here:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1697170

Last edited by dj_aivan; 10-14-2020 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #13
tdseb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_aivan View Post
It is only necessary: open Inpa - click on e90 - click on Body - click on FRM_70 and
- click on - Activate - "Initialisation of windows" For me, that was the solution to the problem.

If you cannot select FRM_70 . Write in CAS # 0909 and hit "FA_WRITE" . Then do step 1

You do not need to use WinKFP

If you need a working file for FRM3 with dynamic Xenon please email me personally I will give you mine.

Check out here:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1697170
great!!! I will try with step 2 since I initialize the windows but it only works with the back windows .. thank you very much for the help .. I will tell you how it turned out .. thanks again !!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #14
tdseb
Rep

Hi guys, I want to tell you that I managed to solve the problem and I want to share it, maybe I can help someone. I comment the whole process, the frm module of the 320 e90 died and I was able to get a frm3 but from an e82, then flash with winkfp and the correct data for e89, add vo # 0909 and correct the bin. customize the comfort functions to my liking with ncs expert and eliminate errors with ista, everything worked perfectly except the front windows that presented an anti-trap error, which only moved 1 inch each time I pressed the switch , that drove me crazy since I tried everything to restart the windows, inpa, manual process etc ... nothing worked. until I check the connections and figure out that the window regulator pins were reversed for that module. which has 5 pins. 2 are power conductors for the regulator and three finer ones that check the anti-trap. I only invested two of those and everything worked. I can only correct that one touch to close that is not working (the window closes but you have to hold the switch). check with inpa the operation of the switches and they work well. both manual and one toch function. to open it works perfect both manual and one touch. Attached photo of the pegs to change. on the other hand, I suspect that I am missing a vo / fa command, which is why one touch does not work to close.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
dj_aivan
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 320D

I had no problems with the windows when I put FRM3. I only exchanged pins for the small turn signals on the fenders and a front gauge for the rings and taillights. I just exchanged them.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 04:55 PM   #16
Falbe_C
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E90

I am having a sort of related problem with my driver window after reflashing my frm module. my window doesn't move at all up or down, I do read voltage at the pins that connect to the motor however only for about half a second. A click sound comes from the frm module it self, I believe it is a wiring problem but I am completely at a loss at how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #17
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe_C View Post
I am having a sort of related problem with my driver window after reflashing my frm module. my window doesn't move at all up or down, I do read voltage at the pins that connect to the motor however only for about half a second. A click sound comes from the frm module it self, I believe it is a wiring problem but I am completely at a loss at how to fix it.
Did you fix this issue?
Appreciate 0