E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track day insurance and maintaining insurance in California

05-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
joes3series
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Track day insurance and maintaining insurance in California

I was thinking about autocrossing/tracking the car at a local SCCA event-- never been to one, don't know what's involved, but, have done some research. One thing I have heard is that in California some insurers will not renew a policy if they find out you autocross a car. And, I can't seem to find anyone who insures cars on a track (american collector's insurance used to, but they don't seem to anymore and even then there were some strange requirements). The common answer I've seen on various boards is just don't track a car you can't afford to total at a track event; but, that seems extreme. I have two questions for those who track their car in California:
1) do you know of any insurance companies who don't care if you compete in auto-cross events (e.g., if you compete in solo, timed or un-timed events they won't refuse to renew your policy)?
2) do any insurance companies sell coverage for autocross events?

Last edited by joes3series; 05-07-2007 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Well the chances of you damaging your car during auto-x are essentially nil so just don't tell your provider and what they don't know won't hurt them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

There are companies that will insure a car for track or autocross, but it won't be cheap. Now, some policies don't specifically exclude track events, but almost all exclude competition.

But I have never heard a real instance of someone losing their insurance because of entering a car in an autocross. Rumors, yes. Talked to someone that it has actually happened to, no.

About 15 years ago I rolled a car during a Porsche Club event. My insurance covered me because it was not a competition, and was actually termed a driving school. I'm still with the same insurance company. I don't know if my policy specifically exludes driving school on race tracks or not, but now if I put my car on track I do so with the knowledge that any damage is coming out of my pocket - I wouldn't involved the insurance company at all.

Richard
Appreciate 0