E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Can i tap the wires for the stock pre-lci xenon halo rings when installing led rings?

04-21-2020, 11:48 PM   #1
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

Can i tap the wires for the stock pre-lci xenon halo rings when installing led rings?

I decided I was going to refresh my headlights and do the amber delete on my pre LCI xenon headlights. Like others have done, I used the wrong DIY and ended up snapping my OEM halo rings down towards where they hook up to the LED lights that illuminate them. Because you can't source those, I am pretty much forced to upgrade to aftermarket LED halo rings.

The set I bought has relays and all the wiring done, but instead of using all the different wiring that they have included in the package, couldn't I just tap the wires for the stock halos? Seems like that should provide the same result as hooking up all of the wiring did they included. Here's the one page wiring diagram that came with the rings.

And here's what it looks like so far. I did silver paint over the amber and used 1/8" black vinyl pinstriping to make it pop a little more on the border between silver and clear. I went with the open c rings because reasons. I don't really know why, but I hope it all turns out good.

Last edited by srey; 04-21-2020 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

So i ran a test plugging in the headlight harness, turning on the lights, and holding the wires for the led angel eyes against the female connectors of the stock angel eyes bulb. It worked, so I'm just going to wire them internally for a plug and play solution in the end.

BTW, my new angel eyes have the wrong tilt. I should have done a better job squaring them up. I'm working on that now, then I'll seal them.

Here are the wires I'm hooking into. Green is positive, and brown is ground.

Last edited by srey; 04-22-2020 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 02:28 AM   #3
turbohugh
ASCMA General
Rep
Drives: E90-N54 <>E36 328Vert

That looks slick. What color car? I have lenses and some carbon fiber eyebrows . I want to delete the corner. That tape looks nice.
More pics
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohugh View Post
That looks slick. What color car? I have lenses and some carbon fiber eyebrows . I want to delete the corner. That tape looks nice.
More pics
Monaco blue. I've sealed up the first one, and I'll cut into the second one. I'm mostly pleased. I had some issues with the clear rtv i was using to attach the angel eyes to the bulb housing. It's the equivalent of a 10' paint job, but you have to know to look. The next one will be cleaner.

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I have broken Euro e90 pre LCI head lights for parts if someone wants them for clear corner modification.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #6
Barrique91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi Touring 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
In for installed photos.
      05-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
turbohugh
ASCMA General
Rep
Drives: E90-N54 <>E36 328Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
Monaco blue. I've sealed up the first one, and I'll cut into the second one. I'm mostly pleased. I had some issues with the clear rtv i was using to attach the angel eyes to the bulb housing. It's the equivalent of a 10' paint job, but you have to know to look. The next one will be cleaner.

Hey we're brothers of the same color My cars a Monoco also. 08
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #8
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE: Don't hardwire the angel eyes into the stock LED wires. It burned up. I'm pretty pissed. Serves me right. Learn from my stupidity. I wish I had just put the stock angel eyes back in. Live and learn...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
UPDATE: Don't hardwire the angel eyes into the stock LED wires. It burned up. I'm pretty pissed. Serves me right. Learn from my stupidity. I wish I had just put the stock angel eyes back in. Live and learn...
That really sucks man. I guess since you've already opened the headlights, they should be easy to reopen and replace the LED units right? I find it strange that your LEDs didn't have a resistor upstream to prevent overvolting
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
That really sucks man. I guess since you've already opened the headlights, they should be easy to reopen and replace the LED units right? I find it strange that your LEDs didn't have a resistor upstream to prevent overvolting
The only wires that fried (I use the term loosely) are the two that go to the halogen Hi beam, the two that go into the ballast, and the two that came off the new LED halos. There is no scoring like you'd see from a burnt wire, but the insulation cracked all along those wires, as you can see in the attached picture.

The kit came with a fuse and distribution block, etc. I removed those, which would have required me to loop back to the batter to power them, and instead installed a hooked each of the two LEDs for each headlight together and used a spade connector to plug them into the wires for the stock halos. I documented everything, so maybe once I figure out how, and whether I can, fix this mess I'll get everything edited and posted on Youtube.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #11
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

that's not because of what you did, that's just how all the old wiring in the headlamps fails.

if you suspect that it was because of voltage, either too much or too little, you can code the PWM value in the FRM to adjust.

I've been running LED replacement bulbs in mine for ages.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
that's not because of what you did, that's just how all the old wiring in the headlamps fails.

if you suspect that it was because of voltage, either too much or too little, you can code the PWM value in the FRM to adjust.

I've been running LED replacement bulbs in mine for ages.
It's gonna be a ginormous pain in the rear to get it all replaced...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #13
srey
Lieutenant
Rep

So after further investigation, the wiring for the new halos would have worked fine. My headlight wiring is just old and falling apart. Makes me mad. I bought some spyder auto replacements to use while I decide whether the rewire them or not. I also discovered that the RTV I was using to attach the LED's is not strong enough with the three small contact points you get with the flat-bottomed C ring leds. If I rebuild them it's going to have to be with a much better way to attach them, or with round halos.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #14
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Srey, thanks for telling us of your misfortune. I'm going with round LED rings. I also am connecting them into the existing angel eye (H8 bulb) leads. I'm am using crimped connectors. My Orion V2s have a junction block for each ring. Each ring has 2 sets of wires as each ring half is separately powered.

I've tested the LEDs with 12V battery inside my home. I am in middle of extensive retrofit and it's nice to work in airconditioned home instead of garage. I'll report back when i get the headlights going.
Appreciate 0