E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2007 e90 GM6L45R mechatronic pins wet - but sleeve not leaking

08-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
jmkcc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

2007 e90 GM6L45R mechatronic pins wet - but sleeve not leaking

I am wondering if I am missing a seal between the mechatronic valve body and the sleeve that goes through the transmission housing. I replaced the shift rod/valve which was broken, mechatronic sleeve, valve body seals and filter and it drove great for a week. Then lost drive, got "no connection" obd codes and discovered that while there was no leak by the mechatronic sleeve - the electrical connections (pins and sockets) inside the sleeve were soaked in fluid.

I see that the sleeve has o-rings on the outside that seal against the transmission housing. I also see that the exterior harness connector that slides into the sleeve has a rubber seal that seals against the inside of the sleeve when it is inserted. What I don't see is how the sleeve seals against the mechatronic valve body inside the transmission. Is there supposed to be a seal inside the transmission between the valvebody pin area and the sleeve?

I replaced the sleeve, blew out the pins and sockets with compressed air and tried again. The pins did not appear damaged at all and the first sleeve looked fine. However, a week later and the 4x4 warning is back on which makes me think I probably have another wet connection.

FYI the original problem was a "flare"in 3rd/4th gear when punching it, 4x4 warning light and cruise control disconnecting, and finally a broken shift valve rod which caused a no-drive condition. Replaced mechatronic seals, filter, shift rod and fluid. That eliminated the flare and it drove great for a week before the wet socket problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
svagusta
Rep
Drives: 335i

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I'm trying to track down a shift issue and I'm wondering if it's mechatronics sleeve. Dealer recently replaced my mechatronics unit, and ever since if I go WOT and hit more than 12-15psi transmission goes into failsafe and then i get 4 error codes saying it DME could not communicate with transmission.

Trans worked just fine before dealer replaced mechatronics. Many WOT pulls hitting 22psi + without any sign of slipping - so trying to find something that makes sense.
Appreciate 0