E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Major Prtoblems! PLZ help!

07-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
DertyE90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw E90, 325 XI w N52

E90 Major Prtoblems! PLZ help!

Hi guys,
So im relatively new to posting however read a ton of post from a lot of you. Heres the situation..... I was driving home this am after dropping my GF off at work when I got almost home I started hearing this loud noise from the engine...(almost like if you were jumping into the choppah w Arnold!) lol sorry not really a laughing matter at this point but tryin to stay positive... so I get home and turn the car off I go inside my house for probably a half hour or so I look out the window and see a legit stream of fluid coming from my car turns out it was pretty much ALL the oil from my engine. I then proceed to contact my GF to let her know of the situation, she decides to leave work and asks me to pick her up (its maybe ten miles there and back) I had a quart of Liqui Moly in the trunk which I put in prior to me leaving ( No oil leak issues, just an extra quart for "just in case") I was able to drive there and pick her up however we got half way home and once again the choppah returns and its only when I push the accelerator it gets severely worse! then all of a sudden I hear this noise and see pieces of my car flying outa the bottom back part of the engine or what im assuming had something to do with the engine and it felt and sounded like I was dragging something... the car completely shuts down the lights all start dinging and the (4x4) light comes on as well and I loose even more oil on the way to the side of the highway where I sat until I was towed to my mechanics. Again after I described the incident to him he stated that it sounded like I threw a rod and pretty much destroyed my engine. I do know that I needed to replace the front drive shaft is there any possibility that maybe that's what broke and blew a hole in the oil pan? or is it most likely what my mechanic had said and the engines blown? was hoping for some insight from you guys and any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated!PLEASE HELP!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
slowcar
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow car

yep. ur fucked.

made the worst possible decision at multiple points in this story.

time to look for a new engine or car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
DertyE90
United_States
Rep

here's the deal though it ran fine yesterday no issues whatsoever other then the need for the drive shaft to be replaced which I was going to order today....there was no warning whatsoever and ive done a ton of work on this thing myself and its also my daily.... so wouldn't there have been warning signs!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
Boosted12a
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i x

Sometimes no. It's dead Jim.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
DertyE90
United_States
Rep

I understand that driving it to attempt to pick up the better half wasn't the best decision.... but without warning without any other inclinations whatsoever the engine just decides to shit the bed on me? doesn't make sense to me.... is it atleast slightly possible that the drive shaft could have went and threw a hole in the oil pan? however the leakage was coming from just above the crush nut washer for the oil pan?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Based on your discription, you have destroyed the engine. You ran it low on oil (very low), so it lacked proper lubrication, which seized most of the moving parts in the engine.

Not sure if you can afford an engine transplant, but you need to learn some basic car mechanics so you do not make such a error again.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

The first mistake was to continue driving after the first sound. At that point, pull over, inspect it and evaluate whether to proceed or tow it. I certainly would not have gone back to pick up the GF, it simply compounded the problem after seeing fluid leaking on the driveway. She couldn't make other arrangements like a friend, family, public transportation or Uber? Was the fluid moro oil, transmission fluid or from the differential? How long have you been driving?
      07-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DertyE90 View Post
I understand that driving it to attempt to pick up the better half wasn't the best decision.... but without warning without any other inclinations whatsoever the engine just decides to shit the bed on me? doesn't make sense to me.... is it atleast slightly possible that the drive shaft could have went and threw a hole in the oil pan? however the leakage was coming from just above the crush nut washer for the oil pan?
It gave you some pretty clear warnings and indications...the legit stream of "pretty much all the oil" was pretty clear...
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
DertyE90
United_States
Rep

Listen ive been driving for years and im not an idiot however made an idiot move driving it to pick my Gf yes I absolutely understand that was a dumb call! I do not need you people to tell me that was a dumb idea, however I was trying to find some sort of silver lining to all this because its legit the only car I now currently own and due to this disgusting COVID Bullshit ive had to rearrange not only my home life but work life as well so im sure many of you can relate to not being able to or not in a position to just go simply "buy a new car" so I was hoping that maybe I didn't blow it up and completely ruin it and was just looking for some basic guidance and alternative possibilities that it could be. I did add oil prior to leaving to retrieve my GF and was hoping where it really wasn't that far that id be ok however obviously once back the first time it should have gone to my mechanics (which is legit a mile down the road) it makes no sense to me whatsoever, runs fine yesterday yes I knew I needed the front drive shaft yes it was already scheduled to go in tomorrow for a new radiator and upper /lower hoses which I had already purchased from FCP EURO. then today "Rod Knock" outa the blue and a destroyed engine?? when I got home and saw the massive puddle it still started and ran ok. I know and understand that driving it was risky however for ZERO symptoms to spilling all oil?? that just doesn't make any sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
S65Hunter
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah it dosent seem that the car "gave you no warning" or "just decided to shit the bed". Never drive a car without oil. Right when you saw all the oil pouring out, you should have towed it to your mechanic right then and there. You driving it to pick your gf up is ultimately what destroyed your car.

Edit: I didn't see your last post. No one is calling you an idiot (though I might be in my mind). Theres pretty much no chance at a silver lining here. You drove a car with no oil, adding a quart dosent help if you currently have a major oil leak some where. Seems like you'll need a new motor or buy a $1K 98 Corolla off Craigslist.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #11
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

The only silver lining is on the road, where your car shit its unlubricated guts out after being driven with no oil.

I know you aren’t looking to be told that what you did was dumb, BUT... if your car ever sounds like a helicopter, chances are your engine is about to go Island Express.

Best of luck man.
      07-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Why so defensive? You made the post, gave us the details and you didn't get the rainbows, butterflies and unicorn responses you were looking for. You can afford to have your mechanic install a radiator and two hoses instead of DIY and you knew there was an issue with the drivetrain but you can't crawl under it to investigate where the fluid was coming from? Yes, I imagine that a number of us have had our careers evaporate and we're trying to figure out what we'll do short term but sometimes, you've got to slowdown and try to make good choices.
      07-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Never seen a more clear cut case of being an someone being an idiot and then being offended for being called out for it. Sorry man reality is that you made a lot of prime idiot level decisions from not stopping the moment you hear the "choppah" noise to then driving the car another 10+ miles while it is making a noise that is DEFINITELY NOT NORMAL. The second I would hear that type of noise I would have immediately pulled over and towed the car to my house until I could rip it apart to avoid further engine damage.

Silver Lining: There are tons of E90s at salvage yards now that you can source a block/heads from for cheap. Maybe even upgrade it to an N54/N55.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Man, if I counted the times I did stupid shit because of pus_y, good Lord, I'd still be counting...
Appreciate 3
      07-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #15
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

I know times are tough. I hope you can at least afford a bus pass for you and your GF to share.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #16
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Hi guys,
So im relatively new to posting however read a ton of post from a lot of you. Heres the situation..... I was driving home this am after dropping my GF off at work when I got almost home I started hearing this loud noise from the engine...(almost like if you were jumping into the choppah w Arnold!) lol sorry not really a laughing matter at this point but tryin to stay positive... so I get home and turn the car off I go inside my house for probably a half hour or so I look out the window and see a legit stream of fluid coming from my car turns out it was pretty much ALL the oil from my engine. I then proceed to contact my GF to let her know of the situation, she decides to leave work and asks me to pick her up (its maybe ten miles there and back) I had a quart of Liqui Moly in the trunk which I put in prior to me leaving ( No oil leak issues, just an extra quart for "just in case") I was able to drive there and pick her up however we got half way home and once again the choppah returns and its only when I push the accelerator it gets severely worse! then all of a sudden I hear this noise and see pieces of my car flying outa the bottom back part of the engine or what im assuming had something to do with the engine and it felt and sounded like I was dragging something... the car completely shuts down the lights all start dinging and the (4x4) light comes on as well and I loose even more oil on the way to the side of the highway where I sat until I was towed to my mechanics. Again after I described the incident to him he stated that it sounded like I threw a rod and pretty much destroyed my engine. I do know that I needed to replace the front drive shaft is there any possibility that maybe that's what broke and blew a hole in the oil pan? or is it most likely what my mechanic had said and the engines blown? was hoping for some insight from you guys and any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated!PLEASE HELP!!
Alright, I know this has been covered but let me go over it again. This will help you make car based decisions in the future.

1. As soon as you hear any kind of loud and unusual noise coming from your car, you should immediately pull over and shut the engine off. At this point you need to see what is causing the noise. If you cant figure it out, and its not something simple, do not start or drive the car.

2. Tow the car home, for further inspection, or to a reputable mechanic.

3. I feel for you. When I started working on cars at like 18, with no prior knowledge, I made a few mistakes myself.

Here are your options going forward.

1. Pay an exorbitant fee at the mechanic to replace your engine and probably other parts as well.

2. Buddy up with any local car guys that you can, use regional forums, Facebook, etc. Find some guys that can help you take the car apart and replace the engine. Some guys might even do it for a few cases of beer.
Car-part.com has engines on it for days and in some cases you can hear them run before being pulled.

3. Sell whats left of the car and use that to buy a beater, until you can afford to buy anything else.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #17
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Also, as an aside, part of your story doesn't make sense to me at all. You told your girlfriend "the situation," and she decided to leave work, knowing that you are having car trouble? Why would you leave work because someone you are dating is having car trouble? Why would you ask someone you are dating who is having car trouble to pick you up in said car?

That hoe is too dumb to rail bro, you need to upgrade after you fix the car. Also, hit her up for some money because why not, it's partially her fault.
Appreciate 5
      07-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VehementCrom View Post
Also, as an aside, part of your story doesn't make sense to me at all. You told your girlfriend "the situation," and she decided to leave work, knowing that you are having car trouble? Why would you leave work because someone you are dating is having car trouble? Why would you ask someone you are dating who is having car trouble to pick you up in said car?

That hoe is too dumb to rail bro, you need to upgrade after you fix the car. Also, hit her up for some money because why not, it's partially her fault.
haha your post had my dying with laughter!
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #19
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

A. Engine making fucked up noises and oil gushing from it when you got home...all the signs you should've needed. Mistake #1.

B. Adding 1qt when your engine takes 6+(you didn't say what model/engine E90 you have). Mistake #2.

C. Driving to your GF's a "legit 1 mile away", when she could've easily and cheaply Ubered, Lyfted, asked a friend/relative for a ride, walked...mistake #3.

D. Coming into a forum and asking people to give you good news over the internet when a mechanic already told you you're fucked...then getting upset about it. Mistake #4.

E. Suck it up, you fucked up. Maybe your mechanic is wrong, but based on the info you've provided it does not seem like he is. But, hey, post some pics of your GF. Maybe we'll understand where the stupidity stemmed from and give you a pass.
Appreciate 4
      07-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #20
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I just hope that he picked up the parts that fell off on the highway. Imagine some poor soul coming up on it driving 55-70 MPH.
      07-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #21
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Or a motorcycle on the oil slick.. just thinking about that is cringe.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #22
DertyE90
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!

Just got off the phone with my mechanic and I didn't throw a rod (surprisingly) enough, he said the front drive broke while driving it and put a hole in the oil pan however he also stated that he was finding other metal pieces in the oil pan as well. So the important question is how much engine damage would a catastrophic event like this cause? Any ideas? When I asked him if he thought it was worth fixing he said" if it was mine I wouldn't" Just the few major parts alone are pushing upwards of 3 G.... its an older car, slightly higher miles but its my car and I love the thing but man is it even worth it?
Appreciate 0