E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Loud exhaust sound in engine bay, no power 2011 335d

07-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Eckmane
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Loud exhaust sound in engine bay, no power 2011 335d

As I was driving home from work the other day I heard a loud pop sound under moderate acceleration and the exhaust note totally changed, the car became very loud- like an old diesel truck- and there is no power whatsoever. Not even able to hold speed going up a hill. Fortunately I was close enough to limp home under my own power. It sounds and behaves like there is a major exhaust leak and the turbo is not spooling, I just replaced the boost hose from the outlet of the intercooler to the turbo because it was very oily and felt to be leaking air when I felt around it with my hand while the engine was running. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem, so I'm back to the drawing board.

I'm pretty decent at turning the wrenches to repair or replace broken parts, but I'm not experienced enough to hit on the right diagnosis right away and I don't want to keep throwing parts at the problem. My feeling is that there must be a failed gasket somewhere, maybe on the exhaust manifold or on the turbo, but nothing is overtly obvious to me so I don't know where to start. I don't know why a gasket would have popped explosively either, which is why I was focused more on looking for a hose or large vacuum line that might have let go.

Are there any known problems that might be the culprit for my problem? Thanks for your help. The next stop will be the repair shop if I'm not able to locate the source of the problem on my own. I'm attaching a video that I took to help, note the little puff of white smoke from the area of the turbo at the 12 second mark.

https://youtu.be/3Spu6pSjI6E
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
dave330
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D

check your hoses from intercooler, sounds like it's blown a hose off.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
TheBigSwede
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d m-sport- JR stg 2

Check the boost hose connections. Also check the hoses to the differential pressure sensor connected to the top of the DPF. A disconnected or blown hose there could create these symptoms too.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/null/sho...87#13627805758 . The hoses to inspect are #5 in the diagram. A bore scope would make the job easier as they’re buried under the vacuum box.

Last edited by TheBigSwede; 07-07-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
Eckmane
Registered
Rep

I also thought it was the boost hose and that's why I replaced the stock one with the upgraded unit from Forge Motorsports. I have a good, tight seal there and really no change to the leak that I'm hearing. I can't see it clearly, but I'm operating under the assumption that I have a cracked exhuast manifold- the sound is loudest in that area and when I put my face close to the area to get a better listen I get fumed with exhaust gas. I've ordered a new cast iron manifold from X8R and will see if that solves the problem. When I start taking parts off to get better access to the area I will have a better view of other hoses or parts that may be cracked.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
TheBigSwede
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Forgot to ask but assume the dpf is intact? I’ve had my D since 2015 and been prowling these boards for longer. Can’t say I recall reading about exhaust manifold failure so my money is on the hoses.

I replaced mine back in January and did not seat one properly. After a few throttle blips I heard the pop and loud exhaust noise. I lost some knuckle skin reseating it then all was fine. I used this hose https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bra...id#description

Keep us posted.

Last edited by TheBigSwede; 07-08-2020 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
Eckmane
Registered
Rep

Thanks, I think you might be right as it was my first impression when this happened that hose had let go. I was really surprised to see that replacing the boost hose didn't fix it completely because it looked old and worn when I removed it from the car with a lot of oil coating the outside so it was obviously leaky.

Yes, the DPF is still intact, but my vacuum hoses all look pretty worn and brittle, a lot of the braided exterior is frayed so I wouldn't be surprised to find a hose completely blown when I look in there. I'm going to pull the vacuum actuator later today and re-do all of the vacuum lines with new silicone hoses to see if this improves things. I'll also have a much better look at the exhaust manifold while I'm in there so I'll have a chance to inspect it for cracks or damage. There is a very strong exhaust smell in the engine bay with the car running, so I'm not ready to give up on that theory yet. The part is on its way to me, so if that's the problem I will replace it, but it would be great to fix it with vacuum hose and just send the new manifold back.

I'll update after I go through with new hoses.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
TheBigSwede
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

To be clear, the differential pressure hoses have a 7mm I.D. vs 3.5mm I.D. of vacuum hose. Took me a bit of googling to source proper size that could handle the high temps.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Eckmane
Registered
Rep

Thanks! That helps a lot, I was able to order the right hose, it slows me down a little bit but at least I'll have the right stuff on hand before I get started. It's a good thing this isn't my only vehicle, this whole thing is taking a while!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

Could be a blown differential pressure hose (which will melt your engine harness) or it could be a loose bolt. Some have reported exhaust manifold bolts that have loosened up (normally accompanied by a high pitched sound). Or it may be a cracked flex hose on your EGR cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #10
BendOR335D
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Do you have a check engine light? If so what codes are you seeing?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #11
Shmee
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

I had a similar issue on mine. I was one of those banjo fitting things off the turbo, bolt just fell off so boost was shooting out of it. Maybe look there
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 12:11 AM   #12
mrais.ar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35d

what is the solution?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 03:52 AM   #13
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I'm going to guess dpf pressure hose.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 03:44 PM   #14
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

OP last speaks in post #8 and never comes back and tells the thread what the problem was. Classic here to not provide end of the story. I've had same loud pop before and it was the inlet side boost hose that came off. It is a bear to get ALL THE WAY back on properly before applying the OE clip. OP told us he changed the opposite hose. My money is on that when he restored seal on the cold side, this let pressure be higher and blow off the next weakest point in system. I was so glad when i converted over to ATM aftermarket IC with the nice hoses and way better hose clamps. I've had no boost leak issues since. Its been since June of 2018 (almost 6 years).

Before this, I had to change the OE seals on the boost hoses every year or 2. Mostly on the red hose/inlet to IC side. What a brain dead design with that stupid clip on the turbo pipe to inlet to red hose!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 06:37 PM   #15
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

A loud 'pop' is almost certainly a IC hose coming off, accompanied with zero power. DPF pressure sensor hose coming out wouldn't cause this..
      03-18-2024, 08:43 PM   #16
maryjane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

Sad these guys never come back to address the FIX.......BUT there are 6 connections it COULD have been, not to mention a hole in one of the 3 flexible hoses, and the CACT sensor. Another reason to do your own maintenance to get familiar with these cars. A shop could completely screw you over and say that a hose is bad when it simply popped off.
Appreciate 0