E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Reverse lights switch

07-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
ADY-ULTRAS
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90

Reverse lights switch

Hi guys! Does anyone know where the reverse lights switch is located on an automatic transmission gearbox from a BMW 320d E90 made in 2005?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADY-ULTRAS View Post
Hi guys! Does anyone know where the reverse lights switch is located on an automatic transmission gearbox from a BMW 320d E90 made in 2005?
Thanks!
There is NONE! TIS does NOT show the ENTIRE circuit on just one screen, so you have to understand the CONCEPT of a "BUS" system as opposed to "discreet wiring". For vehicles with MT, a simple "Reversing Light Switch" (S8511) applies a Ground signal to the FRM to "Activate" the rear Lamps. With the Automatic Transmission, the "activation" signal to the FRM is provided via the "K_CAN Bus (K for Karosserie = Body):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lights/hw11Pwd

WHAT provides the "R" signal to the K_CAN bus to which the FRM is connected? The E82 Gear Lighting Module (which is connected to S227 Gear Selector Lever Position Switch), as was discussed in this earlier post to your first thread, and is shown in this TIS "Transmission Control" wiring diagram:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=5
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lities/oKnD6Ql

In the prior thread, I don't recall your ever indicating if the Passenger side mirror dipped when "R" was selected or NOT??? In that thread, I understood you to indicate that the Light on the E82 indicator showed the gear selected, BUT there was NO Gear Selected indication on the Instrument Cluster. If that is the case, the Switch S227 and the E82 Gear Light Module BOTH appear to be working properly BUT the BUS signal is NOT being received either by the KOMBI Module (Instrument Cluster), OR the FRM, so place to start is WHERE the Transmission Module puts the signal ON the BUS???

The "missing link" is: WHERE the K_CAN Bus connects to the Transmission Module. The Pinout for the Transmission Module shows the connection to the PT (PowerTrain) CAN, but I find NOTHING that explains any connection to K_CAN.
ANYONE who can explain what I'm missing, either conceptually or via TIS diagram?

Since I don't know what Transmission or Trans.Module you have, I can't answer that, PLUS the UK vehicles appear to have some special interface for the K_Can BUS.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
ADY-ULTRAS
Rep

Hi George! Thanks for your help and support. The passenger mirror does not fold when the reverse gear is switched on.
Regarding the instrument cluster, I saw some tutorial regarding how to made the gear visible by pressing and hold BC button but it didn't work.
The cruise control doesn't work as well. I don't know if it's linked with this problem or not.
The FRM module is coded and has no errors.
When I change to Reverse, the diagnosis doesn't see that the reverse lights switch is on.
As I said before, I also changed the gear selector but with no results.
I don't know what else to do and where to look.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
ADY-ULTRAS
Rep

Hi guys! I removed the Junction Box Electronics (JBE) module and I found a different serial number from the one provided by realoem.com & bmwsupply.co.uk.
More than that, one screw was different from the original one and the module found was made on 16/12/2005 and the vehicle was registered in January 2006.
Further, searching on eBay for the serial number, I found one with the same serial but was on a petrol 2.0 car.
The serial number provided by realoem.com & bmwsupply.co.uk is 6135 9364821 and the module found on the vehicle has 6135 6983302.
My question is what module to buy, the one provided by the sites or the one found on the the vehicle?!?
The problem is that I didn't find a used one with the serial number provided by realoem.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by ADY-ULTRAS; 07-10-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0