E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding final drive ratio to the DDE

01-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Coding final drive ratio to the DDE

New member with an issue that I'm really hoping you guys can help with!
Long background story, sorry...
I've had a 2010 320d efficient dynamics for a few months now, and it has had a few gremlins during that time, all of which I have traced back to the car having had a manual gearbox swapout at some stage in the recent past. This car should have the GS6-45DZ box with some absurdly long ratios for better economy.
So the box that was put in was from a standard 320d, so a GS6-37DZ; shorter ratios, all broadly 25% shorter than they should be.
The car isn't happy, cruise control only works in the gears that are coincidentally close in ratio to the old ones (6th & 5th, as they're close to the old 4th & 5th).
Carly has conformed that the ECU thinks I haven't engaged a gear until I hit 5th (when it shows 4th) and 6th (when it shows 5th).
Likewise the shift point indicator only comes to life in 5th & 6th.

Today I used ToolSet32 on Ediabas to get into the DDE module, which yielded the following code in the 'Internal Memory':

1 Fehler vorhanden:
4553 Hinterachsuebersetzung, Plausibilitaet
Uebersetzungsverhaeltnis nicht plausibel zu Motorsteuergeraet-Konfiguration
Fehler 455361

Roughly translated (I speak German):
1 error present
4553 Final Drive Ratio, Plausibility
Ratio does not match DDE (ECU) configuration
Error 455361

In a nutshell, RPM & speed aren't what the ECU expects to see.

This is where I'm stuck, as I don't know how to code the final drive ratio to the car - i.e. where to find the existing ratio/setting, and how to set the new one - i.e. the current one of 1:2.79 with a correction for my current gearbox - so 1:2.21.
For what it's worth, my INPA doesn't talk to the N47 engine - all other modules are ok though. NCS works ok (I added Cruise Control fine), and ToolSet32 works perfectly.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Last edited by bfleming; 01-03-2017 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Lots of reads but no replies just yet. Just a small update. One German tuner tells me the final drive ratio is not a changeable parameter, but the individual gear ratios are written in the DDE, and can be edited to reflect changes - which is exactly what I want. The guy uses WinOLS, and sent me a screenshot showing the existing ratios that should be in a 320d efficientdynamics - and they tally 100% with the known ratios of the standard GS6-45DZ box. So presumably the known values of the GS6-37DZ box can be coded there instead?

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Copy and paste contents of your FA.trc file in NCSEXPERT/WORK folder.

It's part of the DDE firmware. I would flash DDE with winkfp and then expert code it to default with NCSEXPERT. Then clear fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
FA.TRC looks like this:

E90_#0310&EBAT%0896$1CA$1CB$1CC$1CD$230$240$249$2P A$302$320$321$423$428$431$441$470$481$4CG$507$520$ 534$540$563$663$694$698$812$850$863$877$880$8S2$8S 3$8SM*PP52-A090
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
well.. dunno about diesel,
in MSD80 definitions Jake Yamona figured out the address for it

I dont think coding/flashing will help it, but maybe im wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 04:03 AM   #6
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 325d Touring

Ratios are stored in the DDE - IIRC not possible to change without a remap from a tuner.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TB_ View Post
Ratios are stored in the DDE - IIRC not possible to change without a remap from a tuner.
Surely it is possible to remove Efficient dynamics from the car?

DDE hardware will be the same, no? OP Needs only find the correct zusb number for regular 320d of same engine and remove VO codes relating to efficient dynamics?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 05:13 AM   #8
_TB_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 325d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Surely it is possible to remove Efficient dynamics from the car?

DDE hardware will be the same, no? OP Needs only find the correct zusb number for regular 320d of same engine and remove VO codes relating to efficient dynamics?

Yes it can be removed, but I'm 99% sure that the binary for ED DDE and non-ED DDE are different.

..but if you flash the non-DE binary to the DDE, then it will be changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Just to conclude this thread, I sent my DDE to that German tuner I mentioned previously, and he reprogrammed the individual gear ratios in the DDE to reflect what was in my car. Problem solved, I now have a shift point indicator that works properly, I have functional cruise control in all gears, and I have full power in all gears. All done for €200!
Appreciate 2
Levanime192.50
lab_rat394.50
      03-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
N54POWR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
Just to conclude this thread, I sent my DDE to that German tuner I mentioned previously, and he reprogrammed the individual gear ratios in the DDE to reflect what was in my car. Problem solved, I now have a shift point indicator that works properly, I have functional cruise control in all gears, and I have full power in all gears. All done for €200!
This caught my interest because I changed my final drive slightly in a dct car. From a 2.53 to a 2.81. I haven't really had any problems, but I've always been concerned that the dme/tcu was misinformed. If you could, I'd appreciate if you asked your tuner if the same is possible for a dct n54 car. A 2011 335is If so, I'd be very interested in making it happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 04:18 AM   #11
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefHaze View Post
This caught my interest because I changed my final drive slightly in a dct car. From a 2.53 to a 2.81. I haven't really had any problems, but I've always been concerned that the dme/tcu was misinformed. If you could, I'd appreciate if you asked your tuner if the same is possible for a dct n54 car. A 2011 335is If so, I'd be very interested in making it happen.
I'll ask the question no problem, but AFAIK this is only an issue for manual cars. I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 02:53 AM   #12
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Chef, do you have INPA or Tool32 for detailed code reading? I had a code buried in the DDE module that said that my rear axle ratio was implausible. The car got confused & reckoned it had a rear axle problem, not a gearbox one.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:41 AM   #13
N54POWR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [8.66]
Quote:
Chef, do you have INPA or Tool32 for detailed code reading? I had a code buried in the DDE module that said that my rear axle ratio was implausible. The car got confused & reckoned it had a rear axle problem, not a gearbox one.
I don't have them right now, but I think I can get them. I will find out. Is it something an independent shop or dealer would catch with their scan tool? Because the car has been scanned for codes at both since the ratio was changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:03 AM   #14
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't have them right now, but I think I can get them. I will find out. Is it something an independent shop or dealer would catch with their scan tool? Because the car has been scanned for codes at both since the ratio was changed.
Generally not. I had to use Tool32 to access that level of interrogation.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:09 AM   #15
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I had a reply from my tuner...

Reprogramming ratios with a DCT gearbox is not so easy. For the last 6 months we have been able to modify the gearbox data of the DCT. But the ecu of the gearbox is attached to the it. You can see here:

http://de.bmwfans.info/parts-catalog...atronics_unit/

I don't recommend removing the whole control unit from the gearbox housing. So I only can change the data direct on the plug at the gearbox.
We`re working on a solution to change the data with a normal d-can cable on the OBD-plug. At the moment this only works if you've changed some data before with the direct plug method.
The next problem is we still don't have all the data we need, at the moment we can change clutch pressure, shift points and shift speed.
It's very hard to get information on this. We're still in development.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
N54POWR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [8.66]
Quote:
I had a reply from my tuner...

Reprogramming ratios with a DCT gearbox is not so easy. For the last 6 months we have been able to modify the gearbox data of the DCT. But the ecu of the gearbox is attached to the it. You can see here:

http://de.bmwfans.info/parts-catalog...atronics_unit/

I don't recommend removing the whole control unit from the gearbox housing. So I only can change the data direct on the plug at the gearbox.
We`re working on a solution to change the data with a normal d-can cable on the OBD-plug. At the moment this only works if you've changed some data before with the direct plug method.
The next problem is we still don't have all the data we need, at the moment we can change clutch pressure, shift points and shift speed.
It's very hard to get information on this. We're still in development.
This confirms much of what I've heard; that the dct is being cracked and decoded as we speak.
As I mentioned, I'm not having any big issues. The only noticeable thing that happens is when I shift gears, the tach moves to where it thinks the engine should be, but because of the final drive change, the engine is actually moving faster than expected. The tach then moves to catch up to where the engine is actually at. I believe this to be visual only as the sound of the engine remains constant.
It does affect my shift points in automatic mode, the car holds the gear for a little too long in sport mode. Not a big deal because I'm manually controlling the gears 99.9% of the time. D mode is unaffected.
I will get the tools to look for any codes and see if the car thinks there's a problem. But I'd love to follow the progress of your tuner on the dct work. Excited to see what they will be capable of once they've been fully unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
If you need to get ahold of these tools, we can hook you up with a cable & the software.
I have a kdcan cable that I use for mhd. Is that the appropriate cable? If so all I need is the software.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #17
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
What about changing the ratios for an automatic car?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

Quote:
Quote:
I'll ask the question no problem, but AFAIK this is only an issue for manual cars. I'll keep you posted.
Your thread brings up an interesting topic - and brings me to a concern about installing a 3.64 rear diff w/LSD on my 330i that I would have never considered previously:

Seeing as how the 3.64 rear diff is from the auto transmission 330i, I wonder if my manual 330i DME needs programming...

Being that it is a mass produced car, I would almost assume that the DME has the parameters for the auto transmission already built in...or is my logic totally flawed in that aspect?

Thanks for following up with the solution, by the way. Way too often, threads are left high & dry by the OPs and us readers are left wondering what the outcome was...like it was a cliffhanger or something.
:
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #19
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
Thanks for following up with the solution, by the way. Way too often, threads are left high & dry by the OPs and us readers are left wondering what the outcome was...like it was a cliffhanger or something.
:
Yeah, that's the most frustrating thing about forums - you find someone who had the same obscure problem as you, and you wonder how the story ended - IF it even ended - as the thread was just left hanging.
I had read threads of people who had LSD's installed with different ratios, and a brief mention that their cruise didn't work - which was also one of my symptoms. My car also held back on power at times. As I wasn't the one who had the transmission changed, it took me longer to find the cause.
One thing was certain here - the car doesn't re-learn anything. Those ratios were hard-written to the DDE (my diesel ECU) so needed reprogramming to change them. No adaptation is possible with the manual box as it doesn't have an ECU. The ratios aren't stored anywhere other than the DDE/DME on a manual car (I thought the Kombi (instruments) and the traction control system might have been co-dependent, but they're not). The code on the DDE/DME is specific to your car - it doesn't have a suite of ratios on there.
I hope this helps guys.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      06-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
nemanja
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d

Hello,
I am having similar problem to yours because I a planning to change my 2.81 rear diff in BMW 123d to 2.34.
Can You please point me to that tuner who did your DDE so I can contact him regarding mine?
Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:34 AM   #21
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: '10 E91 335xi N55 MT6

Informative thread, thanks for sharing from my side also. Now, I'm wondering what happens to ESP, xDrive etc.. do they get the changes because the simply get their values from the DME or would their calculations be off as well with a modified FDR?
Second question, suppose I mail a read out BIN file to your tuner, do you think he could simply change the values and send it back to me to flash it?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #22
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
He certainly intimated he could do that.
Suzuki GSXR 750 2004/04
Appreciate 0