E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Turbo upgrade intro price and list for batch 1 pre-orders

Closed Thread

06-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
evo335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
If you come here to bitch about the price, punch yourself in the face instead. Go price a twin power turbocharger for an N55 from the dealership. Half of you douchebags that will complain about the price probably have stupid $3000 wheels.

You gotta pay to play. Go find another upgraded N55 direct bolt-on solution. You can wait for Dinan's upgrade but that won't be any cheaper.
Oh please, someone was going to come in here to ask about the components and price. Some people need justification for 3500 rergardless with info or not.

I guess you missed the part where I said unless the numbers are impressive.

Keep the $150 intercooler and $3500 rims out of the thread. I don't know who you are referring to. Simple question asked, simple answer expected back. Nothing crazy
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Vargasturbotech, will this be a bolt-on for the One Series also?
This would be a serious upgrade for us also!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #25
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Custom Reverse Rotation Compressor/Turbine Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Hey guys,

Ok so we are getting close to being ready to begin testing on this and I am getting a LOT of interest. A company from the middle east called me and wanted to buy 5 of them on the spot sight unseen. This tells me it is time to start taking pre-orders so I can get a list together as I am only able to do about 10 of these on the first run due to the cost and availability of cores. The intro price for these is going to $3499, for this you get a genuine Garrett Dual Ball bearing CHRA with a custom reverse rotation GTX compressor wheel, custom reverse rotation Garrett turbine wheel, and all the needed lines to convert it over. The turbine and compressor housings are staying the same so all those connections will be plug and play. There of course are other supporting mods needed, as well as a tune. We will be working with PTF as well as Terry on the initial tune as the Cobb N55 software should be ready by the time we are, and BT will have the capabilities to tune these as well. I just had a customer email me and ask if it will compatible with the Procede, that is yet to be seen, but I do not see what Shiv cant tune for these. I will take a total of 5 intro price orders this batch and I will be requiring a 50% deposit to reserve your spot( if the interest is very high, I may add more intro price spots). Spots will be reserved in order of deposit taken and will be shipped in the same order. If interested please email me directly at Tony@vargasturbo.com and we can get everything set up. As always thanks everyone for the support.
OK, I am a mechanical engineer who has made his living for over 13 years working on turbomachinery and have been a Professional Engineer for 35 years, and I have to ask WTF you need to have your compressor and turbine wheels designed for reverse rotation? This is not because I am stupid, but others who have no knowledge of the subject may not recognize BS when they smell it. So I'm calling BS now and waiting to make fun of anyone who spends good money on this crap.

Upsets with compressors can cause the shaft to spin backwards, so if anything. one wants to have a bearing/shaft design that can tolerate reverse rotation, but compressor and turbine wheel design has nothing to do with it.

Maybe folks should wonder why the proven and very well experienced manufacturers are not doing this. Are they really stupid?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #26
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

^ yeah, I was curious about that too, but didn't want to say anything because it might be considered 'bitching' about the product...

But I'll be looking forward to how this hybrid turbo performs, though. Really want to see this turbo dish out a nice, stable power curve from midrange to peak rpms without running out of steam after 5k rpms.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #27
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Hey guys,

Ok so we are getting close to being ready to begin testing on this and I am getting a LOT of interest. A company from the middle east called me and wanted to buy 5 of them on the spot sight unseen. This tells me it is time to start taking pre-orders so I can get a list together as I am only able to do about 10 of these on the first run due to the cost and availability of cores. The intro price for these is going to $3499, for this you get a genuine Garrett Dual Ball bearing CHRA with a custom reverse rotation GTX compressor wheel, custom reverse rotation Garrett turbine wheel, and all the needed lines to convert it over. The turbine and compressor housings are staying the same so all those connections will be plug and play. There of course are other supporting mods needed, as well as a tune. We will be working with PTF as well as Terry on the initial tune as the Cobb N55 software should be ready by the time we are, and BT will have the capabilities to tune these as well. I just had a customer email me and ask if it will compatible with the Procede, that is yet to be seen, but I do not see what Shiv cant tune for these. I will take a total of 5 intro price orders this batch and I will be requiring a 50% deposit to reserve your spot( if the interest is very high, I may add more intro price spots). Spots will be reserved in order of deposit taken and will be shipped in the same order. If interested please email me directly at Tony@vargasturbo.com and we can get everything set up. As always thanks everyone for the support.
OK, I am a mechanical engineer who has made his living for over 13 years working on turbomachinery and have been a Professional Engineer for 35 years, and I have to ask WTF you need to have your compressor and turbine wheels designed for reverse rotation? This is not because I am stupid, but others who have no knowledge of the subject may not recognize BS when they smell it. So I'm calling BS now and waiting to make fun of anyone who spends good money on this crap.

Upsets with compressors can cause the shaft to spin backwards, so if anything. one wants to have a bearing/shaft design that can tolerate reverse rotation, but compressor and turbine wheel design has nothing to do with it.

Maybe folks should wonder why the proven and very well experienced manufacturers are not doing this. Are they really stupid?
I'm going to try not to be rude, but for a smart guy you just made yourself sound pretty ignorant. Just do a quick google search on reverse rotation turbos. They have zero to do with bearings, bearings of course can spin either way. Manufactures make reverse rotation turbos so they can tuck a turbo very close to the block and still have the intake and exhaust facing the correct way. Think of the turbine housing as a snail. Exhaust comes in and is forced into a circular motion to spin the turbine, in order to keep it tucked and also facing properly on this motor they just reverse the direction the exhaust comes in and spins. So if you tried to use normal rotation wheels the blades would be facing the wrong direction, see my last post for pics of normal and reverse rotation wheels side by side. Next time you have an intelligent rant about something make sure to do a bit of research first, obviously being an engineer for 35 years has not given you any understanding into turbocharger theory, normal rotation or reverse. A few examples of reverse rotation turbos are, the N55, N63 V8 twin turbo, dodge neon srt-4, some ford power stroke diesels, ford ecoboost f-150. The list goes on. Yes people I am making up reverse rotation wheels to charge more, trust me I wish it was, normal rotation and I would have been testing a while ago if this was the case.

Last edited by Tony@vargasturbotech; 06-29-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #28
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Loving this thread...I just spent a few hours googling what Vargas stated... He is on point
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #29
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz06 View Post

I can't believe you just posted that rant without first understanding what you are on about....

I'm glad it's Tony engineering this and not yourself!

I think it's time for you to do some research before you next respond.
      06-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #30
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

i love these threads haha
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
NeoNz
335 Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Hi Vargas Turbo,

First off, I would like to thank you for sinking the money in R&D and designing the N55's first aftermarket turbo upgrade. Glad you guys took the initiative to take care of this.

So, looks intriguing, any dyno results? Would like to see an overlay as far as lag is concerned. What supporting mods are we looking at? FMIC? do we need injectors or fuel pump upgrade? I'm on my factory warranty for quite some time...so this will need to be undetectable!

Brett
1200rwhp/875rwtq, 3.4L Stroker

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #32
KG3356MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG3356MT View Post
please tell me this is compatible with my xdrive? God I hope so. I think the price is fair. Once this is out of testing and complete I am jumping on this so hard LOL.
Turbos in the X-drive should be identical to the RWD models. We have never had one apart so I cannot 100% confirm this. But changing turbos for different models I feel would have been way too costly for BMW. So the odds are in your favor.
I figured that. Can't wait to see how it plays out.
      06-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #33
ForgedDistributing
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO N55 >:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
interested... what will the non intro price be? what are the final est numbers hp/tq? What Garrett turbo version is it?

thanks
+1

PH: (616) 914-6677 FAX: (305) 255-5446
Contact me for exclusive forum and wholesale pricing!
Email: Sean@Forgeddistributing.com
Site: http://www.forgeddistributing.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #34
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Vargasturbotech, will this be a bolt-on for the One Series also?
This would be a serious upgrade for us also!
My understanding is the 1 series uses the same turbo, if so it will bolt on with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Non intro price is $3999. I am not revealing which Garrett turbo version I am using. There is another guy out there playing catch up and after having a core apart for a year and buying all the parts for his big reveal, he then realized it was reverse rotation and basically had to start from scratch. Revealing what wheel sizes I am using will just make it easy for him to copy what I am doing since his own plans tanked. The WHP estimates I gave are backed up by dyno numbers for this said combo. I am using a proven set up.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #36
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Shaking my head at you guys wanting a 500whp N55 via a modified turbo that can't be detected by BMW mechanics so BMWNA can honor your warranty. You seriously think you can have an engine making that much power with all the supporting modifications necessary to do so and have it be "undetectable"?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #37
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
If it's a Garrett CHRA with custom supply/return lines, it is definitely detectable by a dealer.

I'm sure it will probably go unnoticed for normal maintenance and such, even suspension work. But if they are tracking SES codes for sensor issues, boost issues, etc, you'd be a fool to leave it on or take your chances.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #38
evo335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Yea if the housings are the same, it would take some looking into to figure it out.

I experienced this with Mitsubishi evolutions... compressor and turbine wheel upgrades..and later ball bearing but very difficult to decipher from the next because the housings were untouched. Still could make monster power with factory parts
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #39
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

It will be detectable, but only if someone is really looking hard. The things that will be much easier to detect are DP's, charge pipe, intercooler, meth kits etc. The turbos are pretty buried in these cars and wont be easy to see since most everything will look close to stock on the outside.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #40
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Stock charge pipes occasionally let go at stock power levels. I give one 3 seconds at full boost with this turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #41
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Stock charge pipes occasionally let go at stock power levels. I give one 3 seconds at full boost with this turbo
If you are running more than we are now which is 17 psi or so. I still wouldn't dare run a plastic charge pipe.

Questions:

1.Are you using the stock diverter valve? Im already getting codes that's it stuck open at times when running high boost in a long gear.

2. Is your estimate of 500whp on pump gas, meth or e85?

A 500 whp 2 series would be a dream
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #42
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
this is AWESOME NEWS!!!! Cannot wait to see the numbers!!
      06-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #43
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Wish I stepped up to be that test car when I had the chance!!
This is going to be EPIC!!

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #44
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Shaking my head at you guys wanting a 500whp N55 via a modified turbo that can't be detected by BMW mechanics so BMWNA can honor your warranty. You seriously think you can have an engine making that much power with all the supporting modifications necessary to do so and have it be "undetectable"?
Thank you. There is no way your warranty will hold with an aftermarket turbo kit, if you blow something up you'd better return it to stock
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread