E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help identify this oil line

06-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Help identify this oil line

So I sprung a leak! And it appears to be a new problem.
I searched around and didn't see anything similar.

Your expertise is needed!

Background:
Noticed large oil spot in driveway a couple weeks after picking up this 335i. The service records indicate the oil pan gasket has been replaced twice in the last 10k miles! So, naturally, I was looking there first.

Underpan off, oil everywhere and one spare bolt in the pan. Hmm. It appears to be all lower than the oil pan gasket, again... So I schedule appt with BMW, since they are supposed to warranty their work.
note: All my oil pan bolts are present. I haven't found where the missing bolt goes.

Then I decide to clean it all up, get the residue off, and I can't see where it's leaking. So I fire it up and the thing starts pissing oil from up by the steering rack. I noticed a black metal line resting against it. That line had rubbed a hole in itself against the rack and was leaking rapidly!

Theory:
My theory is that found bolt should be holding the lines away from the rack so this doesn't happen. It shouldn't rest against it like that!

Questions:
1. Can anyone identify this line?
2. Do you think BMW will take responsibility for this? DIY? Indy?

Pictures:
Pain:

Oil line in question:

Discovery:

Leak:

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by mxa121; 06-11-2017 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
mxa121
Major
Rep

The line is the Transmission Oil Cooler line. It was bent by the previous service, pushing the line to contact the steering rack. In addition to the bad line, the indy shop confirmed the oil pan is in fact leaking again. Pretty irritated.

Local BMW dealer won't touch it. The last servicing dealer is in another state, but I have reached out anyways. Indy wants $500 to replace the line. Haven't quoted the oil pan gasket yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Go after that last dealer who actually did the work. Tell them the car is un-driveable and they can either pay the bill from the other dealer, or come and get the car to take it back to their shop, or they can refund the cost of the prior repair so you can pay the indy to do the work.

Usually a job like this comes with a 12k mile, 12 month warranty. Hopefully you are within that time frame.

If that dealer denies fixing the repair, then go to BMW NA. Get the dealer's refusal in writing.
      06-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
mxa121
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
Go after that last dealer who actually did the work. Tell them the car is un-driveable and they can either pay the bill from the other dealer, or come and get the car to take it back to their shop, or they can refund the cost of the prior repair so you can pay the indy to do the work.

Usually a job like this comes with a 12k mile, 12 month warranty. Hopefully you are within that time frame.

If that dealer denies fixing the repair, then go to BMW NA. Get the dealer's refusal in writing.
I agree with your sentiment. I recently spoke with the servicing dealer. They refused to honor or acknowledge any warranty on the work done for several reasons.
1. They claim a new BMW NA rule is that service work done within warranty, expires at the end of the vehicle warranty, even if it is before 2yr/24k miles.
2. They claim if I am not the owner at time of service, warranty is denied
3. They claim I could be lying about the condition of the vehicle, and they won't acknowledge the failure without seeing in person, but won't pay to tow.
4. Because CPO is expired, they claim no warranty would be available anyways.

I have contacted BMW NA customer relations. -sigh- It seems like to get any help you have to stomp feet and beg.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
I agree with your sentiment. I recently spoke with the servicing dealer. They refused to honor or acknowledge any warranty on the work done for several reasons.
1. They claim a new BMW NA rule is that service work done within warranty, expires at the end of the vehicle warranty, even if it is before 2yr/24k miles.
2. They claim if I am not the owner at time of service, warranty is denied
3. They claim I could be lying about the condition of the vehicle, and they won't acknowledge the failure without seeing in person, but won't pay to tow.
4. Because CPO is expired, they claim no warranty would be available anyways.

I have contacted BMW NA customer relations. -sigh- It seems like to get any help you have to stomp feet and beg.
I was fearing they would bring up #2. This is usually clearly written in the repair warranty and unless you can get the prior owner to call them, you may be out of luck.

I've heard from other on this forum that dealers state #1 and #4 as all work under the CPO warranty is only valid until the CPO warranty expires and that makes no sense to me. If they repair my rear main seal 1 day before CPO expires and the next day I see that the repair job was crap and leaking I'm out of luck?
      06-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
mxa121
Major
Rep

Yep, their rules say they can turn you away, even one day out of CPO.

I found the oil lines. Transmission oil cooler Outlet Pipe.
https://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/20...iagram=1942080

Now I am just trying to negotiate a fair price for the oil line swap and I guess I am going ahead and getting the oil pan gasket done. No sense in having a leaking car.
Appreciate 0