E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC Navigation Reset

01-09-2018, 03:46 AM   #23
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagaer View Post
If Linux isn't giving you any problems reading the drive, and there are no smart errors, its likely not the drive. To rule it out, you could get a drive that is known compatible, and copy your disk to that drive.

I have personally confirmed that the amazon mSATA adapter (https://www.amazon.com/mSATA-SSD-con...5431391&sr=8-4) works with the CIC, and a number of forum users have confirmed that the Zheino SSD also works in the CIC (https://www.amazon.com/Zheino-128gb-...5431395&sr=8-1)

The list below is for the NBT, but to give you an idea of how picky the CIC/NBT are: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...44#post9878844

If you want to test your drive, mount it in a QNX VM and run the following to check consistency. If all of them come back clean, it likely isn't your image.

Code:
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.1
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.2
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.3
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.4
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77.5
The CIC itself isn't difficult to disassemble, so prior to purchasing a new one, you could always try disassembling it and seeing if there are any loose connections or broken cables.

If your CIC does require replacement, you will need to code it for your vehicle, which will likely include: Changing the Vehicle Order on the CIC, updating the CIC FSC, and changing the region.
Tks guy, I'll try to figure out. If it's cable connection problem, this should be best news of the year

In case of CIC replacement, if I remove my original HDD and install it to the new CIC, do I need to code it?
I think you might need to Virginize or write your VIN and so on to it but im not sure.
      01-09-2018, 05:47 AM   #24
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaza
In case of CIC replacement, if I remove my original HDD and install it to the new CIC, do I need to code it?
@Aus335iguy is correct, you will need to virginize it, which is simply connecting to the headunit via ftp and deleting a couple of files.

You will also need to code the headunit, which includes: Vehicle Order on the new CIC, new FSC to your VIN and changing the region (if the new CIC isn't from the same region as your vehicle)

EDIT: You don't need to pay for a new FSC to your VIN. You can always use Intel123s patching tool to change the cert on the CIC so you can generate your own FSC. http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=23198
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #25
tacaza
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

Quote:
@Aus335iguy is correct, you will need to virginize it, which is simply connecting to the headunit via ftp and deleting a couple of files.

You will also need to code the headunit, which includes: Vehicle Order on the new CIC, new FSC to your VIN and changing the region (if the new CIC isn't from the same region as your vehicle)

EDIT: You don't need to pay for a new FSC to your VIN. You can always use Intel123s patching tool to change the cert on the CIC so you can generate your own FSC. http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=23198
In brief, I have 4 works to do:

1. FTP to the CIC via FTP and delete 2 files
- Need the Enet cable?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-ENE...p2047675.l2557

2. Change the VO
- OK. Many guidances on the internet

3. New FSC to my VIN
- OK with your tools

4. Change the region
- Pls show me the detailed steps
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #26
Jagaer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi 6MT

You can use that adapter to FTP into the CIC. Instructions for FTP here: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=698293

You need to delete the "/mnt/HBpersistence/normal/generalPersistencyData_DiagnosticSWTController" file and you may need to replace it with a virgin one https://www.cartechnology.co.uk/show...6574#pid166574

Note: I haven't needed to do this myself, so I can only give info from other forums.

Changing the region of the CIC will only be necessary if you get a CIC from outside of your region. I've never needed to do this myself, since North American parts are easily found. I know FSC Code 0019 is for Europe Nav and 001B is for North American Nav.

Again this is only necessary if you need to fully replace a broken CIC, and it isnt' just a dead hard drive or a loose cable.
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #27
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
You can use that adapter to FTP into the CIC. Instructions for FTP here: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=698293

You need to delete the "/mnt/HBpersistence/normal/generalPersistencyData_DiagnosticSWTController" file and you may need to replace it with a virgin one https://www.cartechnology.co.uk/show...6574#pid166574

Note: I haven't needed to do this myself, so I can only give info from other forums.

Changing the region of the CIC will only be necessary if you get a CIC from outside of your region. I've never needed to do this myself, since North American parts are easily found. I know FSC Code 0019 is for Europe Nav and 001B is for North American Nav.

Again this is only necessary if you need to fully replace a broken CIC, and it isnt' just a dead hard drive or a loose cable.
My car was produced from Europe so I think FSC code is 0019. Do you know the Europe CIC part number?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #28
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Quote:

My car was produced from Europe so I think FSC code is 0019. Do you know the Europe CIC part number?
You are in Asia right?

You need the FSC code for Asia.
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #29
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
You are in Asia right?

Yes, I'm in Asia, but the car was imported from Germany. Not sure if needing Asia or Europe code?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #30
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You are in Asia right?

Yes, I'm in Asia, but the car was imported from Germany. Not sure if needing Asia or Europe code?
There are specific FSC codes for each of the "features" in the car.

E.g. One to enable voice recognition, another for Satellite radio, another for Navigation, another for the maps, etc.

Some of these codes are region specific.

Normally if your CIC unit was being replaced a BMW tech would regenerate the codes using a link to BMW servers. The servers get told the VIN and the software generates and downloads codes based upon their VIN database.

Having a backup of the drive would at least allow for the restoration of CIC codes via other means.

You should really start by mounting the original drive on a QNX VM and performing a read only surface test of all of the partitions.

The software you used may not be recognizing the existing partitions correctly.

If the drive shows no errors under Qnix, the CIC HU may be to blame and you may be able to swap the drive into a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #31
DavisB18
Rep
Drives: 535xi M

cic

Hey fellas having the same issue, how much would the dealer charge for a CIC replacement?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:03 PM   #32
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisB18 View Post
Hey fellas having the same issue, how much would the dealer charge for a CIC replacement?
$1000+

If your in the US I can send you a precoded unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #33
DavisB18
Rep
Drives: 535xi M

cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
$1000+

If your in the US I can send you a precoded unit.
I am in the states Im going to take it in and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #34
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisB18 View Post
I am in the states Im going to take it in and see what they say.
Let me know how much is costs.

Here is what a new CIC costs with my discount:

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #35
lordend
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

HDD was the issue

I had the exact same issue on my BMW e60 from 2009 and the issue was the HDD. Once I removed it it didn't reboot anymore and everything worked normally.
I'll upgrade it with an SSD this week (hopefully)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #36
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordend View Post
I had the exact same issue on my BMW e60 from 2009 and the issue was the HDD. Once I removed it it didn't reboot anymore and everything worked normally.
I'll upgrade it with an SSD this week (hopefully)
Yeah the old HDD may have bad sectors.

Do not try to use that drive. Instead clone it ASAP.

Some cloning software can deal with bad sectors via multiple read attempts or block reallocation to avoid the bad sector. Hopefully the bad areas do not occur on important areas or at very worst you can grab the partition hosting the FSC codes.

With the latter in hand you could use a drive image from another similar car, then after cloning that image to SDD restore just the FSC partition.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #37
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Yeah the old HDD may have bad sectors.

Do not try to use that drive. Instead clone it ASAP.

Some cloning software can deal with bad sectors via multiple read attempts or block reallocation to avoid the bad sector. Hopefully the bad areas do not occur on important areas or at very worst you can grab the partition hosting the FSC codes.

With the latter in hand you could use a drive image from another similar car, then after cloning that image to SDD restore just the FSC partition.
Even without the FSC, as long as the unit has most recent (C1A) firmware and any similar disk image, there are tools to generate all the FSC codes now for free and get it all working again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #38
Naschercher
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25

Hey guys,

Is there any way to install a new hdd without cloning the old one.
Mine is dead no info displayed, an unqualified technician bricked it.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #39
Beachparty
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
If you want to test your drive, mount it in a QNX VM and run the following to check consistency. If all of them come back clean, it likely isn't your image.

Code:
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77
The CIC itself isn't difficult to disassemble, so prior to purchasing a new one, you could always try disassembling it and seeing if there are any loose connections or broken cables.

If your CIC does require replacement, you will need to code it for your vehicle, which will likely include: Changing the Vehicle Order on the CIC, updating the CIC FSC, and changing the region.
Hi Jaeger

How do I determine if the partition check comes back clean? What would be showing if there war an error ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:30 AM   #40
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Have you tried reflashing the cic to the latest version of firmware? its what i would do just to make sure the unit is running the latest, it will also overwrite any corruption in the OP

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:09 PM   #41
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachparty View Post
Quote:

Code:
chkqnx6fs -v /dev/hd1t77

Hi Jaeger

How do I determine if the partition check comes back clean? What would be showing if there war an error ?
When you run those commands you will see errors reported as they are discovered.
There will also be an attempt to fix the errors and the results.
Appreciate 0