E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Squeaky Steering Wheel

10-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
wzzp144
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

rubber boot

Okay, I am having trouble putting the rubber boot back together. How did you do it? I cant get it to install back in there. Its already hard enough to reach there. Also did you end up spraying the boot, the little white or blue bearing in there and else where?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #24
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzzp144 View Post
Okay, I am having trouble putting the rubber boot back together. How did you do it? I cant get it to install back in there. Its already hard enough to reach there. Also did you end up spraying the boot, the little white or blue bearing in there and else where?
The rubber boots ovalish, and you might even see a sort of notch on one side (right). You line it up- say 1 and 7, push the boot in, the turn counter-clockwise pushing it in. Thats how I did it and it went in fine. Tying to get it in straight just wasnt working. GL
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #25
bidjan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
The rubber boots ovalish, and you might even see a sort of notch on one side (right). You line it up- say 1 and 7, push the boot in, the turn counter-clockwise pushing it in. Thats how I did it and it went in fine. Tying to get it in straight just wasnt working. GL
If you have an E90, don't take out the boot as your first attempt. Do what others did and push the red spray nozzle into the top of the boot and spray. Getting the boot back onto the blue piece at the end and re-installing the boot is a bloody pain. Spraying from top will make your life much easier. I finally got the boot around the blue piece after some serious manipulation and back pain, but now am struggling to get the boot back in place. Hopefully somebody can provide specific instructions but I haven't found anything that works. Damn my back is killing me.

Update:

I got the boot somewhat seated finally. Not sure if 100 percent, but good enough after feeling around and pressing hard all around and lining up. This gave me the opportunity to examine things. Definitely lubricate from the top and do not remove the boot. If you pull at the top of the boot, you will see a white ring. Pull a little bit more and you will get the red plastic spray straw into the boot. Attach your can and spray a few times. Then pull it out and spray the white ring. The lubrication you sprayed inside will drip down the blue ring and the bottom of the boot will keep any from seeping out as it goes over and under around the bottom.

Don't spray crazy amounts. A one minute job from the top vs. the bottom of the boot which created 2 hours of work, back pain, stress and difficulty. And you have to spray the white ring on the top as well anyways.

Hope this helps somebody and saves them the grief from learning the hard way.

Last edited by bidjan; 10-13-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #26
katatonia
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt

I had this problem, but it went away after moving to the coast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:25 AM   #27
jacob.fr7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i / E92 335i

Hey all,

Having similar issues, squeaking in the steering wheel/column

Im not sure if greasing the boot will fix the issue as I am also having lots of free play in my steering, it turns further than before, could replacing the steering column fix the issue?

Thanks

Jake
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 04:52 AM   #28
toby_2028
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 320D E90 LCI 184HK AT. M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
hey, not to beat a dead horse, but was it this thing you sprayed? you can slide the boot down the shaft a bit and i used the straw attachment for my spray lube to get between the shaft and boot. something in there makes mine squeak. a few 3 second bursts. rotate wheel and a couple more shots.

i swear mine sounds just like yours and goes away when i do this. same annoying noise.

(thanks to whoevers image that is by the way)
Thanks man. Mine is a 2011 e90, and it did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:48 PM   #29
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

I did this yesterday and the squeak appears to be gone but I can't tell if the boot is fully installed. Before I removed it the outer flange was fully against the firewall, almost stuck to it. After reinstalling it there's a couple mm gap between the flange and the firewall.

I can feel that the notches in the boot are past the inner lip and it seems like it's in all the way but the outer part doesn't sit flat. Anyone know if that's normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 10:55 PM   #30
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

Just to throw a curve ball in the ‘grease the boot’ discussion:
My squeak has disappeared since replacing the xdrive steering shaft and steering wheel clock spring. Unsure which one solved it, I replaced them almost at the same time.
The lower CV joint boot near the rack on the shaft was torn and the inside rusty.
The clock spring would make creaking sounds when turning.
Replaced both, no creaking or squeeking anymore….
Appreciate 0