E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Cooling issues

08-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
tanGee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 318i Touring

Cooling issues

So I was using a compressor pump to pump up a paddling pool and ran my battery flat. Jump started the car and left it ticking over, went inside to make a cuppa, promptly forgot and went out maybe 2 hours later to steam shooting from the bonnet of my 2007 318i touring.

I let it cool down, topped up the coolant and booked t in with my indy to take a look. In the meantime, I noticed that the cooling fan wasn’t coming on when the engine heated up. When driving this was fine as the air from driving did its job. It got to maybe 94C before (I presume) the map thermostat let coolant into the radiator and the temp started dropping to around 80C before rising and maintaining around 90C.

I got the fan replaced and noticed it still wasn’t coming on at high temps and what’s more, the temp continues to rise when driving which would make me think the thermostat isn’t working.

This is all based on my rudimentary understanding of the system and some reading online so I might be completely off target.

I have a cheap OBD scanner which let me see the coolant temp at the engine and at the rad exit, as well as the map thermostat status. I idled the engine this evening and the temp at the engine hit 105C or so, but the coolant at the rad exit was around 25C. The map thermostat status stayed at “not active” the whole time.

Is there anything else I should look for before sending it back to the indy who didn’t check the fan even came on at high temps in the first place...?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
tanGee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 318i Touring

I took it back to the same guy and he put in a new thermostat and flushed/replaced the coolant. Got it back this evening and on the way home the coolant temp hit 105 at the engine, 20 at the radiator exit and the thermostat stayed inactive the whole time.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0