E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Control Arm Bushing Upgrade for XI?

04-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #133
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Is there any chance the driving on a shot bushing could bend the arm eventually? My passenger one is shot, but I'm wondering if maybe the arm is also bent, or if its safe to just install the strongflex bushings upfront and hope for the best.

The car clunks when I touch the throttle and let off of it, sort of similar to shot engine mounts, except I can physically see my wheel sit more forward then the driver side one.

Just about to pull the trigger on these, just thinking if I should get new arms as well, or I could put that money toward other mounts/bushings.

Thanks, this thread has been very informative.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #134
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

The bushing shot, under normal driving situations, shouldnt bend that arm. Its a beast of a piece of iron. However, I'd say it does increase the chances of bending it if you were to hit something really nasty. I suspect you'll most likely be fine. However if you want piece of mind to know for sure, they really arnt all that expensive from ecs tuning to just buy a new one. Sadly the new one will come with a new bushing and you'll waste the new pushing putting in a strongflex.

My advice, taken with a grain of salt, is that unless you've hit something really nasty or the thing looks noticeably bent, I'd just go with the strongflex without replacing the arm.
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:19 AM   #135
UsedF10M5
They say I'm Invincible
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi 6AT

I think a new arm goes for like $40 on parts geek, just order one for that side and put your new bushings in it.

That, or you could take it to get an alignment done, the first thing the tech will do (or should do) is check for bent/damaged suspension components like arms, struts, tie rods etc.

Does your car pull to one side when you brake hard at highway speeds?
      04-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #136
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the replies, the bushings are on their way and I think I will just press them in my current arms. I don't recall any dangerous potholes that nay have bent anything, or any impact for that matter.

It doesn't pull to one side when braking hard, but I do get a loose feeling from the front right. When I swapped wheels the other day I noticed I can easily move the arm, put a big screwdriver (not even a prybar) on the arm between the frame and twisted and it moved, I didn't even have to apply any leverage.

I'll get in the bushings and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #137
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
Thanks for the replies, the bushings are on their way and I think I will just press them in my current arms.
I just did this and it transformed the handling of the car. You're going to be very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #138
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushikiary View Post
I second you dont need to split it, I didnt have to.

Also you CAN get both the front control arms completely out of the car without pulling the axle. I did. Yes its tight, but you can do it. I believe I used a 24mm combo wrench instead of a socket to get it off, which makes putting it back on with proper torque a little more difficult, but its for sure doable.
+1 on the 24mm combo wrench. It was a PITA, but worked for me.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #139
Ferrari M5
United_States
Rep

I installed the strong flex thrust arm bushings in my 335xi this past October. I loved them for several months. About February or March they started making noise. Seems to be the driver side only but pretty annoying. They were heavily greased when I pressed them in. I am considering going back to stock. They are that loud.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #140
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari M5
I installed the strong flex thrust arm bushings in my 335xi this past October. I loved them for several months. About February or March they started making noise. Seems to be the driver side only but pretty annoying. They were heavily greased when I pressed them in. I am considering going back to stock. They are that loud.
It could be something else then mine were greased and not that heavily and I haven't had any noises
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #141
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari M5 View Post
did you make sure to tighten them down while the suspension was under load? Any bushings would squeak like hell if they were torqued down out of position
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #142
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquehawk5 View Post
did you make sure to tighten them down while the suspension was under load? Any bushings would squeak like hell if they were torqued down out of position
In this case it makes no difference. The poly rotates around the metal sleeve and does so all the time when the suspension is working, like monoball. This is the aspect of poly in this location that worries me, as it is heavily loaded and always pivoting, unlike say a sway bar bushing that also rotates, just not under huge loads. If the grease goes away I can see it destroying the bushgin over time.

It's only rubber bushings that don't rotate on a sleeve, where you'd be putting a torsional stress on them if you did not tighten when susp is loaded, that you need to worry about as far as tightening. Like the stock fluid filled torsion strut bushing. Lower control arm on XI is also true monoball OEM so it's not an issue there either.

Time will tell, I've had mine in since last year but plan to take them apart (well that end and remove the sleeve) and lube later this season. So far so good.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #143
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
In this case it makes no difference. The poly rotates around the metal sleeve and does so all the time when the suspension is working, like monoball. This is the aspect of poly in this location that worries me, as it is heavily loaded and always pivoting, unlike say a sway bar bushing that also rotates, just not under huge loads. It's only rubber bushings that don't rotate on a sleeve, where you'd be putting a torsional stress on them it you did not tighten loaded, that you need to worry about. Like the stock fluid filled torsion strut bushing. Lower control arm on XI is also true monoball OEM so it's not an issue there either.

Time will tell, I've had mine in since last year but plan to take them apart (well that end and remove the sleeve) and lube later this season. So far so good.
interesting, makes sense. i guess there this is the reason in the first place for the squeaking. its amazing in this day and age that someone hasnt made a lubricant that can be used to eliminate this.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #144
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
interesting, makes sense. i guess there this is the reason in the first place for the squeaking. its amazing in this day and age that someone hasnt made a lubricant that can be used to eliminate this.
The lube that came with the bushings was some kind of high tech graphite stuff I'd never seen before. Maybe Polish DARPA nano bio-weapon shit. Like I said I'm going to redo it and keep a close eye on them. Very hard to get much to stay on once you press the sleeve though the bushing, it is a tight fit and scrapes the lube off. But no issues so far, maybe 5k miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #145
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The lube that came with the bushings was some kind of high tech graphite stuff I'd never seen before. Maybe Polish DARPA. Like I said I'm going to redo it and keep a close eye on them. Very hard to get much to stay on once you press the sleeve though the bushing, it is a tight fit and scrapes the lube off. But no issues so far, maybe 5k miles.
Good to hear. really want to do this......at 63k miles and since ive installed V1s you can really notice just how soft and probably shot the bushings are. Definitely feel it under hard braking.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #146
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear. really want to do this......at 63k miles and since ive installed V1s you can really notice just how soft and probably shot the bushings are. Definitely feel it under hard braking.
Oh yeah, you'll love them. Enormous improvement in steering feel and dirt cheap. Get the yellows. Just the minor concern over the sleeve and lube but like I said so far so good. If I find any issues I will post them up here. Am a bit troubled to hear of the earlier guy's problem, exactly what I was worried about.

BTW it is easy to pop that end of the arm out and push the sleeve out to re-lube, without taking the whole arm off or the entire bushing out, or appears to be. I paid attention to that while installing. Have not done it yet obviously.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #147
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, you'll love them. Enormous improvement in steering feel and dirt cheap. Get the yellows. Just the minor concern over the sleeve and lube but like I said so far so good. If I find any issues I will post them up here. Am a bit troubled to hear of the earlier guy's problem, exactly what I was worried about.

BTW it is easy to pop that end of the arm out and push the sleeve out to re-lube, without taking the whole arm off or the entire bushing out, or appears to be. I paid attention to that while installing. Have not done it yet obviously.
great, thanks. how did you install them? ive seen some people just use a screw press and do it while still connected at the ball joint. seems like it might be tough that way but also may be the simplest if possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #148
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
great, thanks. how did you install them? ive seen some people just use a screw press and do it while still connected at the ball joint. seems like it might be tough that way but also may be the simplest if possible.
I used a 12 ton hydraulic press from Harbor Freight, and kludged up some Home Depot fittings like those detailed in this thread. After reading about others having difficulty with the screw type tool. It's no big deal to take the arm all the way off.

One guy did do it with the arm still on, though he may have had an impact wrench that would fail a drug test.

Basically I have bent screw type tools myself doing other bushing jobs, I did not want to buy an entire set (actually two sets) to do this and find myself stuck in the middle with my car half apart. If you already have those tools give it a try. If you don't be aware you may still end up needing a press, esp if bushings are old and corroded. The press was like $120 shipped, the two sets of bushing/ball joint tools needed were about twice that.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #149
niquehawk5
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have access to a 30 ton shop press so that seems to make the most sense, just take it off. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #150
mex2309
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i MSport X-Drive AW

The guy who is going to push in my Strongflex bushings is concerned about the lip on the ends of the yellow bushing. Would a hydraulic press have any issues pressing that in to the thrust arm? Any other instructions other then greasing it and pushing it in?
      06-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #151
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex2309 View Post
The guy who is going to push in my Strongflex bushings is concerned about the lip on the ends of the yellow bushing. Would a hydraulic press have any issues pressing that in to the thrust arm? Any other instructions other then greasing it and pushing it in?
Nope, grease it up and it pops right in.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #152
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:

One guy did do it with the arm still on, though he may have had an impact wrench that would fail a drug test.
OK, I laughed...

Yeah, you need a strong cordless impact...but it works. Did my X1 and a couple 135s that way.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236485

But seriously, the brushless cordless stuff has gotten strong enough that you can skip hydraulic presses for many of these operations all over the car. Not that one of them is a bad idea...they'll save your life.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #153
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Ive been looking forward to these for the longest time. Ordered April 25, waited patiently till May 25. Shot them an email, and thier service was great, they offered a refund or resend, i requested them to be resent.

They resent them May 31, express with tracking, and am expecting them in the next couple days!

This isnt to be negative at strongflex at all, it just sucks that the initial order got lost in shipping somewhere which can happen.

Will follow up with a review once i receive them and get them on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #154
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep

The customs office in poland is a real shiz show. When I was dealing with them they took 1.5 months to let a package I sent to strong flex through, and they are known for stealing things, but it did get there.

I have 30k miles on my bushings now and they are still in great shape, I just lubed them good with the lube from strongflex. They do squeak a little on big speed bumps and things sometimes, but its pretty rare.
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0