E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 06 E90 idle issue / start issue ! Any ideas?

08-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
vicd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

06 E90 idle issue / start issue ! Any ideas?

Hi guys,

Recently just bought an 06 330i. It's had an idling / starting issue since I first bought it. Currently almost 200k km on it.

Basically when the engine is cold it starts and idles fine, but as soon as it warms up it will:

Have trouble starting
- First the first 10s or so the RPM will drastically drop and raise to the point that it almost stalls out after that it'll start maintaining its idle.

Rough idling
- Will idle around 600RPM down to 500RPM and back up again. You can feel some pulsing when it transitions over. You can also hear the pulse making something rattle outside.

What I've done so far:
I've swapped the spark plugs and cleaned the MAF sensor. It seems to have had some effect on it, before it was a lot more violent.

Also when I turn on the A/C the car seems to idle properly and the start up is not perfect, but A LOT better.

Has anyone run into an issue similar? What are some solutions I can try?

Thanks in advanced : )
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
youngster44
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicd View Post
Hi guys,

Recently just bought an 06 330i. It's had an idling / starting issue since I first bought it. Currently almost 200k km on it.

Basically when the engine is cold it starts and idles fine, but as soon as it warms up it will:

Have trouble starting
- First the first 10s or so the RPM will drastically drop and raise to the point that it almost stalls out after that it'll start maintaining its idle.

Rough idling
- Will idle around 600RPM down to 500RPM and back up again. You can feel some pulsing when it transitions over. You can also hear the pulse making something rattle outside.

What I've done so far:
I've swapped the spark plugs and cleaned the MAF sensor. It seems to have had some effect on it, before it was a lot more violent.

Also when I turn on the A/C the car seems to idle properly and the start up is not perfect, but A LOT better.

Has anyone run into an issue similar? What are some solutions I can try?

Thanks in advanced : )
I have a 06 330xi and had similar problem with rough idling which is caused by misfires in the engine. I solved this problem by replacing all the spark plugs and ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
rshah77
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I E90 2008 170BHP

Garage List
2009 BMW 330I  [0.00]
Ive had a similar problem with my E90 320I I changed the spark plugs and coils however problem came back and turned out it was the fuel injectors, two of them where not working and so had to replace them which was very costly for original BMW injectors. Try changing the ignition coils and see if that makes a difference.

Also check their is no cracks in the pipes or vents for air.
Appreciate 0