E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > H7 LED upgrade

02-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #111
ally_bassman
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
Really?!

I'd be interested to read why that is.... I figured that if the projector is designed to use a H7 incandescent bulb, surely an LED that was designed to mimic a H7 bulb would be ok...

Do you have any links to what you've read?
I don't i'm afraid, it was a few months ago when I was first about to pull the trigger on LEDs. It's not gospel i'm sure!
      02-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #112
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Projectors still use a reflector though.. the bowl is smaller and sits behind a cutoff and the projector lens. So you'll always get a cleaner image with a projector than reflector, can't see how any light source could be OK for reflector but not projector which also uses a reflector.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #113
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_bassman View Post
I don't i'm afraid, it was a few months ago when I was first about to pull the trigger on LEDs. It's not gospel i'm sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Projectors still use a reflector though.. the bowl is smaller and sits behind a cutoff and the projector lens. So you'll always get a cleaner image with a projector than reflector, can't see how any light source could be OK for reflector but not projector which also uses a reflector.
My thoughts exactly, it's quite likely that I'll get a set of DEPO projectors (or any others that are recommended) and fit them out with these LEDS....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #114
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

Really keen to see how that works out if you do Could well be a decent compromise between standard reflectors and OEM xenons. Not sure of the cost of DEPO headlights, or do you mean getting just the DEPO projectors adn fitting them to the standard lamp housings? Can you even do that?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #115
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoff123 View Post
Really keen to see how that works out if you do Could well be a decent compromise between standard reflectors and OEM xenons. Not sure of the cost of DEPO headlights, or do you mean getting just the DEPO projectors adn fitting them to the standard lamp housings? Can you even do that?
I do believe there are projector retrofit kits but I'm not really sure whats involved with fitting them, looks like you have to crack the housing open which I'm not really game for...

As for the DEPO lights, I'm looking at the below:

http://www.mstyle.co.uk/bmw-3-series...eadlights.html

Then fit them out with the same LED's I have now.....

I'll need to drop the front bumper to fit so I'll finally be able to do the LED fogs too!

I'll let you all know when I get them!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #116
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Got my MOT Thursday. Will leave the LED's in and report back (f10, projectors).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:41 AM   #117
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Got my MOT Thursday. Will leave the LED's in and report back (f10, projectors).
Shadowed the MOT tester when he checked the headlights. They were spot on for beam pattern but slightly low on one side, not enough to warrant adjustment and not due to the LED's.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 05:43 AM   #118
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Shadowed the MOT tester when he checked the headlights. They were spot on for beam pattern but slightly low on one side, not enough to warrant adjustment and not due to the LED's.
That is definitely encouraging, thanks for letting us know.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #119
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Right time for an update for those of you that have been following this thread!
Yesterday I finally decided to try and sort my condensation problem out. I fitted the new dust cover with the hole drilled in the correct place this time, fitted a new gromit and finished off with a little silicone just to make sure.
I also adjusted the angle of the LEDs to try and improve the 'kick up' on the beam pattern. LED's are now set to zero on the collar instead of -1, meaning they are now at 90 degrees to the vertical. Going back over my mates garage tomorrow night on my way home from work to check the beam pattern again. Hopefully now it'll be spot on, and hopefully my condensation problem has been sorted!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 05:06 AM   #120
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the update! Sounds good, do you have any pictures showing the correct position for the hole that you drilled, or is it fairly obvious where it should be? Just wondering in case i go down this route with the leds (still undecided).
I do get the odd driver flash me at the moment and I'm currently using Ring Xenon ultima 120% brighter bulbs, which I've used for ages as they seem about the best of the halogens I've tried to date in my reflector lights. I know they are set correctly and it's passed MOT's fine with them in place, wondering if it is since i fitted the factory towbar and crash bar to my car, as that added about 35 kilos of weight to the back of the car. Might need to use the headlight height adjuster control on the dash to bring them down a touch, especially if i go for led's as i imagine the issue would be amplified somewhat...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #121
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
wondering if it is since i fitted the factory towbar and crash bar to my car, as that added about 35 kilos of weight to the back of the car. Might need to use the headlight height adjuster control on the dash to bring them down a touch, especially if i go for led's as i imagine the issue would be amplified somewhat...
Absolutely, that is exactly what that adjustment is for.... With weight in the back the front of the car pitches upwards and so do your headlights, the adjustment will allow you to knock it down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #122
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update! Sounds good, do you have any pictures showing the correct position for the hole that you drilled, or is it fairly obvious where it should be? Just wondering in case i go down this route with the leds (still undecided)....
Been trying for the last ten minutes to try and post up the photos but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it! Been pressing the paperclip icon to attach the file but nothing happens. Also been trying the picture icon but that asks for a Web address. Just about sums up how the rest of my day is going - shit!
Will have another go when I'm at home and can use my laptop.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #123
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
Been trying for the last ten minutes to try and post up the photos but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it! Been pressing the paperclip icon to attach the file but nothing happens. Also been trying the picture icon but that asks for a Web address. Just about sums up how the rest of my day is going - shit!
Will have another go when I'm at home and can use my laptop.
Just noticed you are only up the road from me, I'm in Puriton!
Are your pictures uploaded to a picture hosting website? If so you should be able to grab the link for each picture, then insert it into a post using the picture icon in the message format buttons and pasting the URL.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #124
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just noticed you are only up the road from me, I'm in Puriton!
Are your pictures uploaded to a picture hosting website? If so you should be able to grab the link for each picture, then insert it into a post using the picture icon in the message format buttons and pasting the URL.
Small world! I'm on the Stockmoor estate by the BMW garage in Bridgwater.
I've put pictures on before straight from my pictures folder but can't remember if I did it from my phone or on my laptop. Guessing by my inability to pull them from my phone today, I must've done it via my laptop.
Getting the beam pattern checked on my way home from work shortly so if I've got time I'll report back on that later as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #125
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Well no update on the beam pattern as my mate bloody forgot! Got to the garage and no one there. Anyway here is the pics of both my dust covers with the gromits and cables running through them.
Will get my beams checked some time next week probably. Although as I have been out in the dark with them, the beam definitely seems to have more 'Kick up' on them so hopefully they'll be spot on now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #126
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Excellent thanks for the pics! Thats a pain your mate not being there! Ah yeah Stockmoor I know where you mean :thumbs:
So is the second pic the revised lower position of the grommet that allows the dust cap to seal properly?
If you are free sometime I wouldn't mind checking out your lights and maybe park the cars side by side for a comparison shot somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #127
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah the second one is the revised one. Found the recess in the dust cover was also still fowling on the heatsink so had to file a bit more off of the heatsink to get a decent fit. No idea why the two holes are in such different positions - the dust cover on the first pic fits lovely.
I take it you have read my full write up in this thread that shows all the work and modifications involved?
If you want to check them out sometime you're more than welcome. I work 4 on 4 off at Gerber so have plenty of time off to meet up.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:11 AM   #128
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ideal thanks, I've probably passed you before without knowing! Yep I've read through the thread a couple of times now to get a good idea of what's involved.
That's a pain that the heatsink needed more modifying but hopefully the dust cap fits on perfectly now.

I'm looking at the ones with braid for cooling as well to save having to modify them but not sure yet. That classic car leds company sound decent so I'll give them a shout. I'll need to do my angel rings though at the same time, and probably the main beams, to get rid of any yellow and keep my OCD at bay!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #129
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The ones with braided heatsinks will be much easier to fit. I was looking at the Phillips ones but just couldn't justify spending £100 or whatever it was on two light bulbs!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 04:44 AM   #130
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I know what you mean, the Horizon LED ones are £120 ish, or around £100 with discount code.
It looks like classic car LED's also do braided heatsink lights as well here:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...=5425551147037

a fair bit cheaper at£70 - although sold out at the moment! I'm tempted to go for those for the price difference, but i'll find out when they are back in stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #131
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

That's the ones you want. Wish they did them when i bought mine otherwise thats the ones I woukd've got. Will make life a lot easier when it comes to the install. However, you'll still need to make a 25mm hole in the dust covers to run the cables and plugs through and then use gromits and a little silicone to seal them up.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #132
ally_bassman
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d M Sport

I got the Horizon ones, although they look the same... and cheaper!