E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BRAKE Warning Light & Message

06-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Remo_Valentino
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

BRAKE Warning Light & Message

The Red "BRAKE" warning light recently illuminated on the dashboard, accompanied by the "car on lift" light. Message center details state "Brake Pads have worn to the minimum thickness. Have the pads replaced by the nearest BMW center."

When in I go into the Service Required menu, however, it says the rear brake pads are "OK" with replacement due in 6,000 miles. Front brake pads are "OK" and due in 36,000 miles.

It seems to me that these messages are conflicting. Anyone know what is going on here? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_Valentino View Post
The Red "BRAKE" warning light recently illuminated on the dashboard, accompanied by the "car on lift" light. Message center details state "Brake Pads have worn to the minimum thickness. Have the pads replaced by the nearest BMW center."

When in I go into the Service Required menu, however, it says the rear brake pads are "OK" with replacement due in 6,000 miles. Front brake pads are "OK" and due in 36,000 miles.

It seems to me that these messages are conflicting. Anyone know what is going on here? Thanks.
If i understand correctly the confusion is this.

There is a difference between a scheduled change and time such as the one you find on the BDC navigation and the brake pad sensor tripping.

the sensor tripping is the real indicator. ITs a simple on/off switch but it comes on when the pad is done. The computer cannot calculate EXACTLY when the pad will wear. Thats not possible with the sensor thats on them now. So thats why you see a difference of how ever many miles. It depends on your driving style.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

What Pladi said.

Do a visual inspection if you're looking to clear up any lingering confusion. Should be very apparent they're in need of replacement.
      06-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

Keep in mind that the pads may be OK for thickness, but the sensor itself has gotten munged up.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
Remo_Valentino
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Thank you all for the replies. I will definitely do a physical inspection of the brakes and do maintenance accordingly.

My confusion is that if the sensor was worn, shouldn't it say 0 miles of life remaining on the pads, overriding the calculated remaining life?

I read that the sensors are two-stage. Could this warning just be the first stage trigger, which is why it says there is remaining brake pad life?

Also, shouldn't it tell me if front or rear brake pads need replacement as there is a sensor for each axle and a vehicle status category for each?

I'm just trying to understanding the logic and idiosyncrasies of the system...This is my first time owning a BMW. Thanks, again.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_Valentino View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I will definitely do a physical inspection of the brakes and do maintenance accordingly.

My confusion is that if the sensor was worn, shouldn't it say 0 miles of life remaining on the pads, overriding the calculated remaining life?

I read that the sensors are two-stage. Could this warning just be the first stage trigger, which is why it says there is remaining brake pad life?

Also, shouldn't it tell me if front or rear brake pads need replacement as there is a sensor for each axle and a vehicle status category for each?

I'm just trying to understanding the logic and idiosyncrasies of the system...This is my first time owning a BMW. Thanks, again.
no.
because the pad sensor trips at the minimum serviceable pad thickness, to allow for time to schedule a service.
it's working exactly as it's designed. If it tripped when the pads were unsafe and told you 0 miles, wouldn't you be mad that it didn't tell you in time to get it serviced before it was unsafe or undriveable?
It will not flash red brake warnings unless it has worn through the second stage of the sensor, or the sensor has been damaged. I had the wires break off of mine. Not sure what hit it.
Appreciate 0