E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Installing Technic Harness, Need to Disconnect EPS Amp

09-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Installing Technic Harness, Need to Disconnect EPS Amp

Hello all, trying to disconnect the factory amp to install the Technic harness. I know the cover slides to the passenger side, but it seems to be sticking about halfway through the "grooves" on the top of the slider. I can't see any mechanical obstruction - please help with the secret to getting this thing off. It's holding up the remainder of the install (Jehnerts/VP Sub/JL Audio HD600/4.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Pictures please

Pictures please
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Hello all, trying to disconnect the factory amp to install the Technic harness. I know the cover slides to the passenger side, but it seems to be sticking about halfway through the "grooves" on the top of the slider. I can't see any mechanical obstruction - please help with the secret to getting this thing off. It's holding up the remainder of the install (Jehnerts/VP Sub/JL Audio HD600/4.
Are you trying to do this with the trunk liner in place and the amp in its bracket?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

No, liner is out, but amp is in place. Finally got it to release by lifting the sliding cover ever so slightly with a flat screwdriver.

Do you recommend taking the amp out? How does it come out?

Thanks to all, hope this will help someone in the future.

Pic of connector:

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you're referring to, the cover (CD Case) or the harness.

The CD case (grey plastic cover) can simply be pulled out with your fingers - no tools required. Push it toward the side of the car, lift the near side, and pull it out.

The harness (if Hi-Fi) is held in with a locking connector. The odd-shaped connector has a plastic hoop over the top of the connector. This hoop is 'locked' with a tab at the top. Push the tab in, and then slide the hoop toward back. As you pull the hoop down, it will physically push the connector out of the amp. This may be what you feel as 'sticking', just keep pushing and it will eject the connector from the amp.

To pull the amp, there are 4 screws holding the bracket it - 2 on the bottom, 2 on the side. Pull these 4 screws and remove the bracket/amp as a single unit. You can then see how the amp is installed, and dismount it from the bracket if you wish.

(Note: the trunk trim at the base of the trunk opening must be removed, and then the interior trim on the left side should either be completely removed, or remove enough of the clips to pull the trim away to where you can work easily)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
No, liner is out, but amp is in place. Finally got it to release by lifting the sliding cover ever so slightly with a flat screwdriver.

Do you recommend taking the amp out? How does it come out?

Thanks to all, hope this will help someone in the future.

Pic of connector:

The Top HiFi OEM amp (Logic7 or Individual Audio) is held by two sliding tabs to the mounting bracket. Look to the right of the OEM amp and you will see two sliding, metal tabs.

Either you slide those tabs out or simply unbolt the whole bracket (4 screws).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Don't you have to use the Top Hi Fi amp as

A firberoptic to analog converter if you don't recode the head unit for analog.
I thought you could only do recode for analog with on the older cars with the older style head units .
Appreciate 0