E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2009 535xi Catalytic and Turbo Issues

04-07-2024, 02:26 PM   #1
ColombianLuvsBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

2009 535xi Catalytic and Turbo Issues

Hi everyone! Okay, may be a silly ask but I need to change both catalytic converters (and the four O2 sensors) PLUS looks the two turbochargers are also an issue.

Cat issue: failed emissions and have taken to three specialty BMW shops and all say the same - replace cats, O2 sensors. So to do it myself, would need to do some welding and that skill I am lacking. So, loaded question, is it worth making the repairs?

Turbo issue: looks like if I get the turbos out, I can look at “fixing” the turbos.

A couple things, I know I need a lift to do all this work (looked at some videos) plus also looked at the bottom of the car when one mechanic jacked it up and explained what I would need to do. I’d have to rent a repair bay plus the equipment.

Second, car has sentimental value but I’m guessing I might need to put my feelings aside and just say bye to the car.

Other than those issues, car is pretty pristine and only has 120k miles on it.

Guidance would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0