E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > DSC rebuild

08-04-2021, 02:52 AM   #1
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

DSC rebuild

I want to let everyone learn from my mistake so they won't make the same mistake I made. I have had the trifecta of ABS error codes from my DSC pump. Here are the facts.
I had the usual error coded for the DSC and investigated who to send my DSC to for rebuilding.
My Choices were Module master with a five year guarantee on repairs or BBA-Reman with a lifetime guarantee. Both costs were about the same. I went with BBA-REMAN. in Taunton, MA. The first time they told me the DSC needed the DSC unit rebuilt and it would have a lifetime warranty. After a couple hundred dollars I got it back from them and everything worked for a while. I then started getting error codes. I sent the DSC back to BBA and they told me the pump needed to be rebuilt for a couple hundred more dollars and it was not covered under the first rebuild because they repaired the ECU not the pump. I paid them and got the DSC back. It worked fine for about a month. I started getting the three SES lights and the 5DF1 and 5DF0 codes for DSC pump again. I sent the DSC to BBA again for warranty repair. June 26. I began calling them a week later to find out when I would get my unit back and they didn't answer the phone. I called every day for two weeks. No answer. They have four telephone numbers, I called all four numbers. No person answers only a computer. I left messages and got no call backs. I sent emails and got no email replies. Now August 2, I get an answer and ask them the status of my DSC. They tell me they have been trying to contact me to let me know the DSC will need to be replaced. They tell me the technician says the DSC is not rebuildable. I question this because the SES codes are 5DF0 and 5DF1 which are due to stuck ABS motor burshes and easily repaired not the DSC control unit. They read me the technician notes from the last work order when I sent the DSC to them a couple months back. The technician wrote that the DSC brushes were stuck and the cause was due to improper maintenance (I ask you what is proper maintenance for a sealed ABS motor). The technician wrote that the brushes were freed up and cleaned. (Apparently they did not replace the brushes like other DSC rebuilders do with these pumps). They only freed up and cleaned the brushes. I think this is why I am having continued problems with the DSC.The motor has the same brushes and I have the same problems with my DSC.
Now BBA-REMAN is tell me I my DSC is not rebuildable and I will have to buy a new DSC. MY DSC has been sent to BBA three times. Each time they tell me I have a lifetime warranty. Each time I have problems with the unit soon after getting it back from them. Each time I send it back to them for repair they want several hundred more dollars to fix it. Now they tell me the unit is not rebuildable and I need a new unit when the error codes indicate that the problem is easily fixed by replacing the motor brushes.
I told them to send me my unit back. They are charging me $25 to return my DSC. So much for a BBA lifetime warranty repair. They have had my DSC since June 25. It is hard to get them to send your unit back to you when you cannot get them to answer the phone, call you back, or respond to your emails. Who wants to give up the use of their car for over a month to have their DSC rebuilt and have nothing done to it. You cannot drive your car without the ABS unit. You have no brakes because the brake lines are open. It has been two days since they charged me the $25 to ship my DSC back and to my knowledge, they still have not shipped it or given me a tracking number. I called them for a tracking number and shipping status update but they are not answering their phone again. You can only leave a message.

I recommend using Module Master for DSC rebuild or anyone else other than BBA.

Assuming BBA actually sends me my DSC back, I will get the parts to rebuild the ABS motor myself and will list the parts here for other members who want to rebuild the ABS pump themselves. I researched the bearing and the bearing needed is a 6000RS bearing. A high quality 6000SF bearing is a SkF bearing which costs $7 on eBay. I have replaced other motor brushes before and it is not hard to do. The brushes should cost less thant $10. I will have to wait until I remove the old brushes to measure them to determine what brushes I need to order unless someone has a DSC apart and can measure the length width and thickness of the brushes for me. Measure with a micrometer if possible.

When you think about how often the ABS unit actually runs in a car, replacing the bearing is probably a waste of $7 unless you damage the bearing when removing it to replace the brushes. A bearing should last thousands of hours before going out and an ABS motor will run only a few minutes total time in the life of a car. For $7, I will buy a SKF bearing. You can buy a cheap 6000RS bearing for $4 to $5. I'll buy a SKF bearing for $7. PS: Whatever bearing you buy do not buy the C3 series bearing get the standard bearing the C3 has loose tolerances for harsh conditions that will not last as long under service for a motor. C3 bearings feel loose and worn out when new. A standard bearing will be tight and smooth when new.

Last edited by Tomnavigator; 08-04-2021 at 03:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #2
Steve Sas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2008

Most people just replace unit with low mileage one from scrape yard.

Why would you bother with rebuild?

You should get your money back if they didn't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:35 PM   #3
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

DSC rebuild

I have been without a DSC since June. I bought a used DSC to get my car back on the road. But, I can't get the DSC programmed to get rid of the 5DD0 and 5DD1, error codes. I spent a week downloading NSC expert and INPA and getting the DCAN cable working (maybe). I programmed the DSC with NCS EXPERT which I was expecting to take several minutes but the progam said was completed in about 4 seconds. I used INPA to calibrate the DSC and my foxwell 510 to reset the steering angle sensor. I still have the error lights on my dash and my codes are still 5DD0, and 5DD1. I ordered a new BIMMER GEEKS DCAN cable and will try everything again with it.

You ask why not just get a used DSC. As you can see above, that is what I am trying with no success. Remember BBA-REMAN has my original unit. I had a hole with disconnected lines where the DSC goes. I ordered a used DSC and am now trying to get it to work (Programming, Coding, and calibrating) So far I am having no success. I still have error codes and 5DD0, 5DD1 codes that I can not get rid of.

IF BBA-REMAN sends me back my old unit, I will replace the brushes and use my old unit because I KNOW I can get it working with about two hours work. I also know I will never have an issue with the ABS motor again after I fix it. I have repaired other motors by replacing the brushes and never had issues with motors again. Also keep in mind that when you buy a used DSC you may be inheriting the original owners problems. Also I am retired and have spent at least 60 hours reading every DSC post I can find, trying to download the coding, programming, recalibration software, getting the DCAN driver to load, learning the programs and unsucessfully getting the used DSC unit working. I don't know whether or not I will ever get the used DSC working even with another 60 hours more work. I do know that I can get my old unit fixed for two hours work and less than $20.

I agree that I should be able to get my money back from BBA-REMAN. That is why I wrote this posting. To help others not make my mistake by using BBA-REMAN. However, I will be happy if I can get BBA-REMAN to just send my old unit back. I am currently up the proverbial S**t creek without a paddle because I cannot get the used DSC working. Monday someone actually answered the phone at BBA-REMAN and they told me they won't send me back my old DSC without paying them $25 for shipping even though both the ECU and pump are under warranty. They really want me to pay them for a new unit that I will then need to get programmed.

I paid BBA-REMAN the $25 for shipping. It isn't right but I am desperate. It is now Wednesday night and they still have not shipped my DSC, still have not sent me a tracking number, and don't answer the phone when I called back to get a shipping status. Two of their 4 phone numbers now don't work.

I don't have any good options to get my car back on the road. I live in Louisiana and my closest BMW dealership is over 50 miles away in Texas. I can't get the used DSC working without 5DD0, 5DD1, codes and I can't get my original DSC back from BBA-REMAN.

I am now learning NSC EXPERT and INPA (both unsuccessfully so far) just to get my used DSC working. I don't want to learn programming and coding. I just don't have any other choice.
When I tried to program my used DSC replacement, my NSC Expert gave me a message that it was programming the unit. Three or four seconds later it displayed the message complete. Does anyone know if this sounds right. I would have thought it would take longer than four seconds. Anyone know how to check to see if the DSC is now programmed correctly?

Also when I recalibrate the DSC with INPA and go to the condition based service and click on F1 and F2 to reset the unit. The screen updates for a few seconds then goes blank like it is finished. It does this both for the F1 and F2 resets. I assume this means that it is finished. I get no feedback that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that it is working. Something obviously isn't working because I still have the 5DD0 and 5DD1 errors.
This whole situation with the DSC has my frustration at a 12 level on a scale of 0 to 10. I just want my car to run without SES trouble codes or ABS, DSC lights. I really loved my car both times I drove it in the last five years when I did not have any trouble codes.

Last edited by Tomnavigator; 08-04-2021 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: clarifying what I wrote and fixing grammer
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:02 AM   #4
Steve Sas
Private First Class
Rep

Getting INPA to run shouldn't be too hard. There are a few versions out there.
Try setting up on an older laptop.

Took me while to get it running. Kept trying different versions till one worked but wasn't complete as could not connect to some modules.

Ended up getting ISTA-D to work.

I've heard some people swapping the electronic boards over but you still need to bleed system and re calibrate.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

Steve, Thanks for the reply. I downloaded BMW Standard tools from the MEGA site before they removed all the BMW software last week. I installed it on an old Dell Latitude e6410 computer with windows that has the XP mode enabled. I bought a DCAN cable on ebay (may be the problem). It took me a week to get the DCAN cable drivers to load and work. I can open and run NCS EXPERT and INPA. I coded the new to me replacement DSC with NCS EXPERT. I then read the codes on my car. 5DD0 and 5DD1. I opened INPA went to stability control, F6 Ansteurn, F8 condition based Service, reset F1 and F2. both appeared to work because a window opened with a message in German and then closed after five or so seconds. I then went back to the Ansteuern menu and reset F1, F2 and F3. These are apparently the steering angle sensor, and a lateral acceleration sensor and some other acceleration sensor. The steering angle sensor would not reset but the other two seemed to work because a window opened with a message in German then closed after a few seconds. I looked up the message for the steering angle sensor and translated it. (I don't know German). That is how I found out it was the steering angle sensor. I used my Foxwell 520 to reset the steering angle sensor and it reads 0.0 now.
I spent not hours or days on this. I have now spent several weeks trying to get my car back working properly. Everything I have done should have fixed the DSC. I am still getting the 5DD0 and 5DD1 error codes with the three lights lit. Brake light is in yellow not red.
From my hours and hours researching this on the internet, The only things left to try are to replace the DCAN cable and to try recalibrating the DSC with INSTA-D. I just received a new DCAN cable from BEEMERGEEKS in the mail yesterday. But have not tried it yet. I see that it did not come with driver software. I hope my other cable drivers work. I will look to see if the BEEMERGEEKS site has the drivers for the cable for windows 7.
I tried to download insta-D but found the copied have been removed from the MEGA site. So, I ordered a hard drive with INSTA preloaded on it and a second drive caddy for my laptop so I can put the second drive in my laptop. I am supposed to get the hard drive next week.
Before someone rips me a new one for spending money buying the hard drive and software when I can possible get it free online. Keep in mind. 1) I want my car back working and have already spent well over a 100 hours reading, downloading, updating, installing drivers, and fixing software already with no success. Buying a hard drive with preloaded working software sounds awful good, cheap, and fast to me right now.
Has someone updated their DSC using NCS EXPERT? If you did did the update only take about four seconds? My update only took about four seconds and I am using a very old slow laptop.

It is now Thursday. I placed my daily call to BBA-REMAN. No answer, automatic answering machine leave message. No email from them with tracking number, no call back, no email with shipping status. BBA-REMAN charged my credit card tuesday for the $25 to ship my DSC back to me. Now to wait and see if the DSC arrives or they commited fraud by charging me with no intention of returning my DSC.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 04:13 AM   #6
Steve Sas
Private First Class
Rep

Wow your having a bad run with this issue.
Get ISTA-D working first.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

I haven’t read the entirety of this post as it’s long, but as Steve says, get your software working and go from there.

I’m troubleshooting DSC stuff myself and had no issues replacing my unit, even with an older one that isn’t interchangeable according to BMW.

I tried to skim but couldn’t see whether your issue was also with electronics. If not, I would take the electronics from your current module and pop them onto a equivalent low-mile replacement. Sorry—I’m sure you tried or mentioned this, but thought I’d say it anyway.
      08-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #8
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

Here is my update on my DSC. I am still waiting for BBA-REMAN to send me my DSC back. They charged my credit card Monday and still have not sent me a tracking number and I have not received it either. I think they are closed and out of business because they don't answer the phone or get back to you when you leave a message. Therefore, I am without my original DSC. I am waiting for all the parts to come in to put a second hard drive in an old Dell Latitude E6410 with windows 7 so I can get INSTA-D running. I tried to program a used DSC to my car with NCS Expert and recalibrate the DSC with INPA and reset steering angle, VA and HA (acceleration sensors). The last thing I can try is using INSTA-D to recalibrate the DSC.
I still have the 5DD0 and 5DD2 error codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:14 AM   #9
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

Here is what I hope is my final update on my saga of getting my ABS (DSC module) fixed. First. BBA-REMAN never sent me my DSC back even though they charged my credit card this week for return shipping. I'm giving a summary to help people who are in the same boat I am in to try to help them fix their problem. I had the three ABS, traction control, DSC lights that were caused by the ABS pump brushes sticking. Codes 5df1 and 5df0 (I think). I sent my DSC to BBA-REMAN for brush replacement in June. They still have my unit and don't answer the phone or reply to emails. I think they went out of business.
Because I can't get my original DSC back, I bought a used one on eBay. You have to program the DSC to your car then calibrate it to get it to work without ABS trouble lights. I used NCS EXPERT to code the DSC to my car. I then got 5DD0 and 5DD2 error codes which indicate you need to recalibrate the DSC unit. I tried to recalibrate the DSC with INPA several times unsuccessfully. I then bought ISTA-D to try to recalibrate the DSC. This appears to have worked because I no longer have ABS lights on my dash. It is 1AM and I have not driven the car but the SES lights are now out. I'll try out the car tomorrow (sorry later today).
If you had to replace your DSC for whatever reason you have to recode the DSC to your car then you will have the 5DD0 and 5DD2 error codes which are telling you that the DSC needs recalibrating. There are many posts that say INPA will recalibrate the DSC. There are also many posts that say INPA did not work. I tried INPA and it did not work for me. There are a few posts on the forum that say ISTA-D will recalibrate the DSC. ISTA-D recalibrated my DSC. The procedure for recalibrating the DSC with ISTA-D is:
1) plug in your interface cable to the car and laptop. Put your car on a battery charger to make sure the battery does not go dead
2) put you key in and push the start button (do not press the brake petal) to activate your dash lights with your engine off
start ista-D
3) Click on "operations"
4) Click Identification then lower right side of screen "Complete Identification"
5) Wait until the module tree is completed (3 minutes or longer)
6) Click "Display fault memory" fault codes are displayed with description of fault
7) Click "Calculate test plan" The test plan and how to fix the faults are displayed
8) select the procedures to calibrate the DSC
9) click "display"
10) follow the procedures on the screen After you complete the test plan delete the old SES codes by clicking on "Delete fault memory"
11) Your three ABS lights should now be off. You are done. Unplug the interface, turn off the car, turn off the computer celebrate.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 03:40 AM   #10
Steve Sas
Private First Class
Rep

This is the reason why many workshops don't work on BMWs.

Shouldn't be that difficult to replace a DSC module.

Well at least you got it to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #11
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

First my daily update. BBA-REMAN still has not returned my original DSC and still does not answer the phone. I called my credit car company to dispute the $25 that BBA charged me the first of last week to return my DSC. The credit card company wanted to know if I had a phone number for BBA. I gave them all four numbers and told them two of the numbers no longer work and wished them luck getting someone to answer the phone when they called.
I drove my 335D today and it was wonderful. No error codes and the cruise control works. I drove it 50 miles from nowhere to nowhere just for the fun of driving the car when everything works.

Steve Sas, I agree replacing a DSC should not have to take 30 minutes to do the actual replacement of the DSC that 130 hours to get it working properly.

Its kind of like replacing a battery in a BMW.
BMW battery $300, dealer install $50, Dealer register and code car to new battery $50 to $200. Total cost over $400. The reasons stated are so the battery will last longer. How much longer does a battery have to last to save the extra $200 you have to spend to get your car registered and recoded if you battery size changes.

Non BMW (Everyone else). Walmart battery $120 to $170. Install $0 to $30. Done.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #12
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

It has been a couple of weeks now and the junk yard DSC is still working like a champ. No error codes everything working fine. I have been calling BBA-Reman a few times a week and someone answered the phone last Fri. I told them that I paid $25 two weeks before for them to return my DSC but never I never received it and I offered the guy $100 to find and return my DSC to me. He told me the bribe was not necessary and he would make sure my DSC was returned to me Monday. Well it is now Wednesday and no DSC or email from BBA-Reman with a tracking number. Apparently $100 bribes are not enough to get them to return my DSC.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #13
wamcneil
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3 3.0i, 2001 330Ci

Wow, sorry you went through this...
I've got a junkyard DSC in hand and ready to tackle this same issue myself.
So, I've got to find and install the software and learn how to code a DSC...
What version of ISTA-D did you use?
Thanks
W
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 06:53 AM   #14
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
If you never receive your DSC I would contact your credit card company and dispute the charges. I'd also file complaint with the Better business bureau in BBA's area. Incredibly bad service on their part. I used Module Masters a few years ago and they were great.