E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Major problem w/my car sudden boost acceleration

10-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
btc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06/330i/SB/TERA/AL

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Major problem w/my car sudden boost acceleration

A little info about my car. Stock 2006 E90 330i, manual trany, sport package, premium package, took deliver on 8-11-05. The car only have over 21k miles. Last service was in 8-3-09 for engine oil, hydraulic flush, wiper blades, & replace the audio amplifier. My warranty just expired on 8-11-09. I'm shit out of luck on this one. I start searching on E90post forums last night for similar problem but no luck, its like looking for a needle in a haystack. Hope you guys can help. Any BMW technicians on this forums?

This just happen out of the blue. On Wednesday 10-14-09 driving home after work, car behaves really strange, it start to accelerate by it self during coasting in 3rd gear. I have to shift it to neutral because there traffic in front. Once it in neutral, engine rev up to 5k rpm for about 2-3 second, and rpm drop back down slow to normal. I pull over to shut the engine down, pull the key fob out. I test it again when traffic was clear. Restart the engine, driving 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear that when it start, once I pass 2500 rpm in 3rd gear, the car give a sudden boost and start launching to 55-60 mph, during this time my foot on the brake pedal prepare to stop (I did not apply the brake yet), it stop accelerate but I notice my speed needle reading going crazy at +/-20 mph position, I know i'm traveling at least +40 mph. I can recreate this over & over, and it happen every time in 3rd gear pass 2500 rpm. I do the check and it said Check OK. I also check my floor mat and it clear the pedal.

On Thursday 10-15-09, I switch key fob. It behaves normal driving to work in the morning. Driving home after work it start doing the same thing like yesterday, plus I get a lot of icons pop up on my dashboard all at once like a christmas tree. These are the symbols; ABS w/brake (yellow color), the word BRAKE is on but my hand brake is not in the pull-up position, a flat tire icon (I check & no flat tire), a triangle w/circle arrow icon (that traction control), & a small letter ABS is on. This sudden boost and launching is dangerous, especially in rush hour traffic.

I'm planning to bring the car to the dealership next week. I want to try some basic fix first to see if it solve.

If I disconnect the battery cable, will I loose my program?

How do you recess the main car computer?

Sorry for the long detail notes, & english is my second language. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Last edited by btc; 10-18-2009 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: add picture of dashboard
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
and1bball919
It's not just about horsepower, but how powerful your horses are.
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG Delivery truck

ur car is haunted ...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
btc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Here a post about registering a battery, never heard of this.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312543

I just want to disconnect my battery, will my car require re-program if battery disconnect?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Hmm, that does not sounds too good. Your car is exactly like mine and I have 71K miles and I have never had anything happening like you described. You said the last thing that a techinician worked on your car was replacing the radio amplifier. I wonder if there is any reprogramming/registering that needed to be perform for this work?

This is not a good thing to hear especially for those of us who are keeping this car past the warranty period. I would also like to know if any tech on here seen this type of behavior with the 2006 e90 manual transmission.
      10-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
Let us know what happens.. sorry to hear
      10-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Metal*07*328i*Head
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG, Step, 18" 123's, BMS, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc View Post
A little info about my car. Stock 2006 E90 330i, manual trany, sport package, premium package, took deliver on 8-11-05. The car only have over 21k miles. Last service was in 8-3-09 for engine oil, hydraulic flush, wiper blades, & replace the audio amplifier. My warranty just expired on 8-11-09. I'm shit out of luck on this one. I start searching on E90post forums last night for similar problem but no luck, its like looking for a needle in a haystack. Hope you guys can help. Any BMW technicians on this forums?

This just happen out of the blue. On Wednesday 10-14-09 driving home after work, car behaves really strange, it start to accelerate by it self during coasting in 3rd gear. I have to shift it to neutral because there traffic in front. Once it in neutral, engine rev up to 5k rpm for about 2-3 second, and rpm drop back down slow to normal. I pull over to shut the engine down, pull the key fob out. I test it again when traffic was clear. Restart the engine, driving 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear that when it start, once I pass 2500 rpm in 3rd gear, the car give a sudden boost and start launching to 55-60 mph, during this time my foot on the brake pedal prepare to stop (I did not apply the brake yet), it stop accelerate but I notice my speed needle reading going crazy at +/-20 mph position, I know i'm traveling at least +40 mph. I can recreate this over & over, and it happen every time in 3rd gear pass 2500 rpm. I do the check and it said Check OK. I also check my floor mat and it clear the pedal.

On Thursday 10-15-09, I switch key fob. It behaves normal driving to work in the morning. Driving home after work it start doing the same thing like yesterday, plus I get a lot of icons pop up on my dashboard all at once like a christmas tree. These are the symbols; ABS w/brake (yellow color), the word BRAKE is on but my hand brake is not in the pull-up position, a flat tire icon (I check & no flat tire), a triangle w/circle arrow icon (that traction control), & a small letter ABS is on. This sudden boost and launching is dangerous, especially in rush hour traffic.

I'm planning to bring the car to the dealership next week. I want to try some basic fix first to see if it solve.

If I disconnect the battery cable, will I loose my program?

How do you recess the main car computer?

Sorry for the long detail notes, & english is my second language. Thanks in advance!
This sounds bad. For one your car takes the speed reading at the hub of the wheel so if its readying +/- 20 mph and jumping from the 2 you have a sensor issue. Which may also cause the car to boost the speed up to compensate. Now if its doing it on its own - without your foot on the gas - it could be a few things, none of which are pretty. I would goto the dealer and INSIST they look it over for free because its a potentially life threatening issue you have there. and see what they say, maybe a call to BMWNA after they look at it will shed some light for you.

P.S. My car will drive itself through parking lots @ about 25mph without me doing anything but tapping the brakes twice real fast lol

any brake tapping prior to this happening?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
WILLIE92
H20 KING!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328I

Dude Whats Up With That Mpg?? Is That Broken Too? Jk ....... Its The Revv When You Shift To 3rd That Sounds The Most Serious Imo?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal*07*328i*Head View Post
This sounds bad. For one your car takes the speed reading at the hub of the wheel so if its readying +/- 20 mph and jumping from the 2 you have a sensor issue. Which may also cause the car to boost the speed up to compensate. Now if its doing it on its own - without your foot on the gas - it could be a few things, none of which are pretty. I would goto the dealer and INSIST they look it over for free because its a potentially life threatening issue you have there. and see what they say, maybe a call to BMWNA after they look at it will shed some light for you.

P.S. My car will drive itself through parking lots @ about 25mph without me doing anything but tapping the brakes twice real fast lol

I would agreed as well, I mean this is very strange behavior and if he can replicate it everytime in 3rd gear, then I think it is in BMW or BMWNA interest to at least look into this case.
      10-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
btc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal*07*328i*Head View Post

Should I call BMWNA first before going to the dealer?
What do you mean tapping the brake twice, is that to reset something to the computer?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Metal*07*328i*Head
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG, Step, 18" 123's, BMS, ect.

Quote:
Should I call BMWNA first before going to the dealer?
What do you mean tapping the brake twice, is that to reset something to the computer?
Thanks
No in my car (automatic) if im crawling through a parking lot or in traffic, i double tap the brake and it keeps the car moving at a crawl. Its weird lol, but doesnt bother me of effect anything.

I would go to the dealer you bought it from, and tell them whats happening. And if they look at it - call BMW

if they dont - call BMW

but you will still have to take it to the dealer either way.

Just dont take any guff from these swine!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
gonae86
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

hi btc.
I had exactly this problem yesterday.
With your exact description and the sudden unsolicited acceleration really scared me.
How did you manage to solve it ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
how old is your battery?

I had weird problems like ABS and E-Brake lights going on randomly, speedometer needle going crazy (dropping from 60 - 0 then back to 60), radio cutting out, and it turned out it was my battery. Everything else was fine, and the second I had it replaced, I never saw the issues again (they were occuring multiple times a week consistently). Mine was 7 years old

*Shit, did not realize how old this thread was!

Last edited by chris82; 05-30-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #13
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
how old is your battery?

I had weird problems like ABS and E-Brake lights going on randomly, speedometer needle going crazy (dropping from 60 - 0 then back to 60), radio cutting out, and it turned out it was my battery. Everything else was fine, and the second I had it replaced, I never saw the issues again (they were occuring multiple times a week consistently). Mine was 7 years old

*Shit, did not realize how old this thread was!
LOL, started reading what the OP said and the part that mentioned when last the oil was changed thinking he had posted this now!! Very old thread indeed!

And quite a strange issue.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #14
gonae86
Registered
Rep

battery is less than 1 year old ....
I have been monitoring it too and it seems fine.
yellow lights still there...

connected bmw software today and got 5DC6 and 5DC3 .
Cleared the errors and after 1 minute driving got the unintended acceleration again and then all the lights came back on .... it seems to me there is a software bug that while its detecting the error it decides to rev the engine ??

Rear Right ABS speed sensor me thinks ....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
gonae86
Registered
Rep

changed Rear Right ABS speed sensor, never had any problems since....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
dr4stic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 6MT

old thread or not

Old thread or not, I just had this issue myself.

I have an e92 328i MT, low miles (2011 picked up 10/2010 w/ 21.4k miles)... never changed the battery, have had the ABS sensors replaced twice before. I just moved to austin (where brakes seem important) from Miami (where everything is flat) and am in a situation where I'm worried about driving my car up a hill. Also, I really miss the assist.

The unusual acceleration is odd, but at least this thread provides a bit of an explanation. Hopefully it won't cost too much to fix outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #17
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr4stic View Post
Old thread or not, I just had this issue myself.

I have an e92 328i MT, low miles (2011 picked up 10/2010 w/ 21.4k miles)... never changed the battery, have had the ABS sensors replaced twice before. I just moved to austin (where brakes seem important) from Miami (where everything is flat) and am in a situation where I'm worried about driving my car up a hill. Also, I really miss the assist.

The unusual acceleration is odd, but at least this thread provides a bit of an explanation. Hopefully it won't cost too much to fix outside of warranty.
Pull codes with a BMW Scanner like gonae86 did.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Quote:
Here a post about registering a battery, never heard of this.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312543

I just want to disconnect my battery, will my car require re-program if battery disconnect?
No it won't. I had a tune done and put a new battery in subsequently and had no problems. The new battery was registered.
      02-14-2017, 12:04 PM   #19
dr4stic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
Pull codes with a BMW Scanner like gonae86 did.
That's likely my next step, but I don't have the hardware for it (yet). I've owned this car for some time but haven't actually messed with it too much. Any recommendations for hardware (preferably that'll work with either macOS or Android)?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #20
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr4stic View Post
That's likely my next step, but I don't have the hardware for it (yet). I've owned this car for some time but haven't actually messed with it too much. Any recommendations for hardware (preferably that'll work with either macOS or Android)?
I use a dedicated scanner, but a lot of people appear to use "Carly," bluetooth OBD dongle and matching app.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
davegravy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

This issue just started for me too. I had a new OEM battery put in a year ago so I hope that's not related.

While I am braking to counteract the acceleration I feel that crunching/grinding sensation of ABS being engaged (even though the road is not slick and I am not decelerating quickly).

I also smell a faint burning smell in the cabin while it's happening. As soon as all the indicators come on the issue goes away (speedometer starts reading correct values and no more engine surging). Very unnerving!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #22
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Could this be DISA related? Maybe not "accelerating" but rather surging when the first DISA valve kicks in? Sounds about the RPMs that DISA was supposed to activate the first valve. But the ABS lights hitting and then the issue going away baffles me.

That's just a random guess...
Appreciate 0