E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Are petrolheads a dying breed?

01-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
HollowmanVIII
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series E92

Are petrolheads a dying breed?

What's your stance? I find less and less people I speak with genuinely not interested in higher performance cars. They just wanted the most economical it seems.

I love driving a quick car which has a lovely soundtrack to it. Of course my house, family etc come first when it comes to money, but I see cars as a hobby which I enjoy spending a bit of cash on, have done really for quite some time now.

I find people just have no interest in cars or if they do it's about owning the latest Skoda Octavia, A3 TDI or some other VAG soot chucker.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowmanVIII View Post
What's your stance? I find less and less people I speak with genuinely not interested in higher performance cars. They just wanted the most economical it seems.

I love driving a quick car which has a lovely soundtrack to it. Of course my house, family etc come first when it comes to money, but I see cars as a hobby which I enjoy spending a bit of cash on, have done really for quite some time now.

I find people just have no interest in cars or if they do it's about owning the latest Skoda Octavia, A3 TDI or some other VAG soot chucker.
Cars are becoming a rich mans hobby,and not too many rich men.
My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

"O" Boy, We are still out there, Petrol Heads, Car Enthusiast's, what ever you want to call us.....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

The rich grow richer and the poor grow poorer. I was thinking exactly what Needbmwpartzz said.

It's probably largely down to housing costs for one thing these days. 10 years ago 200k got you a nice house. These days that same house is 350k to 400k. I have a nice car but I don't own my own home and I have no money for a deposit to even start a mortgage.
Then there's the cost of fuel and co2 taxes.

The fun is slowly being squeezed out of life.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
You don't have to spend a lot of money to own a performance car, I've always been into cars. Fortunately non of mine have ever been my dd as I've always owned a van to use for work. I have never paid more than £13,000 for any of my cars & other than the beetle they've all been five year old cars with 50k ish miles for both the 3 series & 70k ish for the 525i & the M5.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
The rich grow richer and the poor grow poorer. I was thinking exactly what Needbmwpartzz said.

It's probably largely down to housing costs for one thing these days. 10 years ago 200k got you a nice house. These days that same house is 350k to 400k. I have a nice car but I don't own my own home and I have no money for a deposit to even start a mortgage.
Then there's the cost of fuel and co2 taxes.

The fun is slowly being squeezed out of life.
+1 The previous generation totally screwed us over. House prices are ridiculous now especially inside the m25....i did however wait to get a property before buying a nice car.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
P14kle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Worse still are the iPhone generation, that never get their hands dirty!!

They live with mummy n daddy, get the latest performance car on finance and then stick pictures up all over social media showing everyone how 'well off' they are...

This is resulting in DIY car maintenance becoming a thing of the past... But that's what forums are for aren't they?!! 🙄
Let someone else do the hard work, and just ask and copy them. 😉

I am proud to own my own property, even if it means I can't afford the nice car I desire. Got most of that out of my system when younger tho fortunately.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 04:17 AM   #8
qa15ar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post

They live with mummy n daddy, get the latest performance car on finance and then stick pictures up all over social media showing everyone how 'well off' they are...

This is resulting in DIY car maintenance becoming a thing of the past... But that's what forums are for aren't they?!! 🙄

I am proud to own my own property, even if it means I can't afford the nice car I desire. Got most of that out of my system when younger tho fortunately.
+1 on point with the iphone generation....
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 04:26 AM   #9
Icekube
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P14kle View Post

this was my first thought when i seen the title of this thread.

nowadays being a "petrolhead" is strolling into BMW and leasing a 240i and sticking a tuning box and a set of alloys on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 04:50 AM   #10
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

We are still here but getting much older by the day LOL.

Have to say some of the points above are very valid. Not many that truly mod. Small mods are always being done but just putting some springs and a map isn't really pushing the boundaries.

I think for most it is the financing side which is killing it. People don't have the disposable they once had, and due to quite a lot of people now financing their cars it does mean modding them is no-no.
To help minimise costs this is why people are looking to cheap diesels.

Our whole lives are becoming one big finance deal
      01-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #11
Andy Bev
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

Plenty of petrol heads in the Classic car market, cars that you can actually get your hands dirty with without having to plug it in to computer to find out what's wrong.
I suppose I'm a good bit older than some on here but still love my BMW but I also have a 1984 Mercedes 280sl convertible and a 1952 Ford Anglia ( that's the one like the Ford Pop ). I think the BMW would be the first to go if I had to make a choice 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Adam1990
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bev View Post
Plenty of petrol heads in the Classic car market, cars that you can actually get your hands dirty with without having to plug it in to computer to find out what's wrong.
I suppose I'm a good bit older than some on here but still love my BMW but I also have a 1984 Mercedes 280sl convertible and a 1952 Ford Anglia ( that's the one like the Ford Pop ). I think the BMW would be the first to go if I had to make a choice 😂
+1 to the point about about the plugging the car into a computer.

There are still plenty of petrol heads out there, I work with a fair few.
But we all agree it’s getting harder and harder to DIY with all the tech in today’s cars plus everhing is harder to acess being covered with black panels and all the extra tools needed for the jobs.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
Not a Diesel!!!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Megane Cup-S

I know quite a few. Some still drive typical performance models.

However some find the gems lower down the range and remap to create a sleeper or a Zafira/C-Max due to family needs.

Regarding the £££ or PCP question. I find more Cash just makes the choice more difficult. Give me £2k and I will get a Clio 182 give me £20k and the choice varies from a new Focus ST upto M3's & M5's etc. All are great fun to drive.
Appreciate 0