E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

09-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #617
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
I had my wheel replaced by BMW free of charge, I'm over the moon about it!!
      09-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #618
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d
I had my wheel replaced by BMW free of charge, I'm over the moon about it!!
Although you are in a better position than most of us seeing as you got the car from them less than a year ago, what were they like when you took the problem to them?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #619
Hans_ACS
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 740d

I had my fair share of issues with these rims. I have a 330d Cabrio, fitted with M225 rims. After buying the car 2 yrs ago, I had tire pressure loss within hours after picking it up. The previous owner did (of course) not say anything about it so I had it fixed at my own expense (a company welded the crack). Few weeks later, same issue occurs again, this time another wheel.

I decided then to purchase 2 new rear wheels. BMW did not want to come in between and refund me. Since the car was secondhand, I had very few arguments to ask for a refund.

However, weeks after having mounted the 2 new (rear) wheels, also they started cracking (increasing my level of frustration).

To my surprise, BMW left me in the dark and said I drove to 'agressively'. I could not believe my ears!

Since then, I had both of them welded 6 (six) times !

Today, it happened again. I am fed up with these wheels and do not even trust the car anymore.

I will throw away these hellish wheels and put 17's.

Such a shame from BMW. My patience has been severely pushed to the limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #620
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
Although you are in a better position than most of us seeing as you got the car from them less than a year ago, what were they like when you took the problem to them?
I just phoned them explaining the problem of having a cracked wheel, they booked my car in explaining that they would need to do a run out test on the wheel and that they would need to keep it for a day, but when I took the car in I was informed they had booked my car in for 2 days but they supplied me with a replacement car(mini countryman), I never heard anything from them on day 1, I received a phone call at 4pm on day 2 informing me my wheel had been replaced and the car was now ready for collection.

I've been impressed with the dealer all round really, I had a couple of very minor things after I bought they car which they sorted out with no hassle at all and now they have taken care of my wheel, well I suppose bmw uk took care of that, but I'm sure the dealer done their bit
      09-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #621
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_ACS View Post
I had my fair share of issues with these rims. I have a 330d Cabrio, fitted with M225 rims. After buying the car 2 yrs ago, I had tire pressure loss within hours after picking it up. The previous owner did (of course) not say anything about it so I had it fixed at my own expense (a company welded the crack). Few weeks later, same issue occurs again, this time another wheel.

I decided then to purchase 2 new rear wheels. BMW did not want to come in between and refund me. Since the car was secondhand, I had very few arguments to ask for a refund.

However, weeks after having mounted the 2 new (rear) wheels, also they started cracking (increasing my level of frustration).

To my surprise, BMW left me in the dark and said I drove to 'agressively'. I could not believe my ears!

Since then, I had both of them welded 6 (six) times !

Today, it happened again. I am fed up with these wheels and do not even trust the car anymore.

I will throw away these hellish wheels and put 17's.

Such a shame from BMW. My patience has been severely pushed to the limit.

Sounds like you weren't treated very well at all which is very unfair as it's clear for all to see that there has been a problem with these wheels from the beginning.

I'm really tempted to sell my wheels but I'm unsure what to go for as replacements, have a spare set of MV3's which I intend to use as winter wheels but may use them for winter and summer tyres
      09-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #622
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
I just phoned them explaining the problem of having a cracked wheel, they booked my car in explaining that they would need to do a run out test on the wheel and that they would need to keep it for a day, but when I took the car in I was informed they had booked my car in for 2 days but they supplied me with a replacement car(mini countryman), I never heard anything from them on day 1, I received a phone call at 4pm on day 2 informing me my wheel had been replaced and the car was now ready for collection.

I've been impressed with the dealer all round really, I had a couple of very minor things after I bought they car which they sorted out with no hassle at all and now they have taken care of my wheel, well I suppose bmw uk took care of that, but I'm sure the dealer done their bit
Thanks, I was supposed to arrange an appointment with BMW this week but I've been too busy. Plus the wheel is off the car now so I don't know if that will hinder my claim.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #623
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

just before my car was 3 years old, I had all 4 wheels replaced under warranty as the laquer around the roundells was going milky white. A year later the brand new replacements are just starting to go the same way again, so I have now order my own replacements:- Apex EC-7's in Anthracite
      09-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #624
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I was supposed to arrange an appointment with BMW this week but I've been too busy. Plus the wheel is off the car now so I don't know if that will hinder my claim.
I wouldn't have thought it would hinder the claim if the wheel wasn't on the car, probably be easier for you as you'd just have to drop the wheel off at the dealer and not have to leave your car
      09-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #625
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought it would hinder the claim if the wheel wasn't on the car, probably be easier for you as you'd just have to drop the wheel off at the dealer and not have to leave your car
Pretty sure somewhere towards the middle of this thread some one tried the same and didn't get anywhere but I guess that may have been in the early days of this problem coming to light.
I'll try tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #626
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pretty sure somewhere towards the middle of this thread some one tried the same and didn't get anywhere but I guess that may have been in the early days of this problem coming to light.
I'll try tomorrow.
How did you get on??
      10-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #627
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How did you get on??
Hey.

Berry Heathrow were dicks as usual.
Hanging up the phone soon as I mentioned cracked wheels.

Acting like they didn't know who I was once I called back 3 seconds later.

Being put through to a guy who was clearly being prompted by the girl that just hung up on me. He was stammering and talking rubbish, asking me questions irrelevant to to the purpose of my call. In the end he took my number promising to call me back. 10 days later, no call.
I just called again with the intention of walking into the sales department to cause a scene with dirty wheels in hand, if they messed me about again.

The person I spoke to this time knew what I was referring to and professionally talked me through the process. I've got a run out test booked soon for a fee of £99; I made it clear I didn't want it done at Berry Heathrow.
By the way, he said it is acceptable to bring the single wheel on its own.

Now, I really can't remember if I paid the fee before but in my current situation I'll be paying it and getting the process over and done with.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #628
mk2vr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330D Saloon.

Any recent updates to this? Any success stories?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #629
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So, apparently there is a discount on the run out test taking it from £99 to about £63.

I will get an answer by Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #630
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The rim failed the run out test by about 2.5mm!!! They had to say it like that because hearing 0.25cm would make you laugh.
Time to put on my angry customer hat me thinks.
I thought I was going to let this ride but after thinking about it, that's taking the piss.

£500+ rim being used in a way it is expected to be used. Fitted with the approved tyres recommended by BMW themselves. It cracks under the pressure of the weight of the car and the hard side wall of the tyre, and that's my fault is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #631
Mr Adds
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Cracked alloys

I changed over to my winter set on Tuesday and my osr alloy is cracked. Its a style 313m, wheel is currently at dealer being checked to see if I will get a replacement under warranty.

Service chap on the phone said it will have a run out test but its a "formality" it will be replaced under auc warranty as long as its obvious the alloy has not been kerbed!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #632
vishvx
Rep
Drives: E92

Went in for a MOT at Sytner Harold Wood, they straight away found that the rear driver side alloy was cracked (MV3), total cost for new alloy and MOT was £464 inc VAT, bought the car 11 months ago from Spire Watford but not sure if they would do anything about it as hard to prove where/when it happened, will get in touch and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #633
Rich4191
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport

I've had an e93 330d Msport with 19" 225's- bought it and after a month (even with careful driving - id checked out known issues before i bought it) i had 2 cracked alloys.

Went to BMW and they said that 'they have a tendency to crack'. i explained i knew this and asked if they would help.....their response, 'yours are too cracked'.

didn't want to pay £1100 ex.vat for 2 alloys that would crack again so bought some from OZ Racing.

they look great and had(!) been fine until the pressure warning came on.

took it to kwikfit to jack it up - multiple cracks.

i spoke with OZ who test these to F1 standard and have suggested that the set-up BMW have put together could be wrong, 19" low profile, run flats, stiff(er) suspension......but they would like to test the wheels for faults.

...anyway after going through what is effectively a total of 6 alloys i am now on normal tyres, not run flats....ill let you know how i get on

anyone else done the same and been fine?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #634
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Took my car in for front brakes and an MOT test today and it failed the MOT because there is a crack on the offside rear (255/30 x 19" Bridgestone runflat)

Thing is, although I bought the wheels from BMW in April 2008, they have only done 28,000 miles in all that time because, except for this year, I only put them on the car in the summer months and, paradoxically, the original 17" wheels have bald tyres so I couldn't use them and as I had just bought a new set for the 19" wheels, job done for the MOT - or so I thought.

I paid for the run out test and the wheel is within specification so I haven't been kerbing it or bashing through big potholes (2 BMW excuses gone already). The dealer has contacted BMW and sent photographs of the wheel "asking for goodwill" huh!

Since I bought the wheels and tyres as a set, after I bought the car technically the sale of goods act, unencumbered by car purchase smoke and mirrors applies and I could have a claim against the dealer because the goods were unfit for purpose as a normal wheel, which has not been mistreated, would last a lot longer than 28,000 miles.

They will come back to me tonight or tomorrow and I'll post the progress although I don't hold out too much hope.

As an aside, I think it's only one small crack (and it's appeared since July, the last time I checked the wheels when off the car) so does anyone know if welding a repair works?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #635
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Result already. BMW will replace the wheel and it will come with a 2 year warranty so if it cracks again in that period, I get another new one.

Of course they won't pay for swapping the tyre but that's small beer in comparison with the cost of a new wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #636
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F30 LCI

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Hey guys,

What is the general consensus of BMW replacing alloys on a car which is out of warranty? Absolutely no chance? I have a 2010 E92 with FBMWSH and 19" style 313M alloys, however is out of manufacturers warranty. I'm fairly sure at least one alloy is cracked, and its going in tomorrow for a service/alloys to be checked.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #637
Kaisah
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F30 LCI

Garage List
2017 340i  [0.00]
Also, has anyone had a wheel replaced when there was visible signs of kerbing? Nothing serious, but some scuffs?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #638
igatron
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisah View Post
Hey guys,

What is the general consensus of BMW replacing alloys on a car which is out of warranty? Absolutely no chance? I have a 2010 E92 with FBMWSH and 19" style 313M alloys, however is out of manufacturers warranty. I'm fairly sure at least one alloy is cracked, and its going in tomorrow for a service/alloys to be checked.

Cheers
Two cracked rear 313M's here also on an out of warranty 2010 E92. Gonna try my luck...
Appreciate 0