E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New Used 2008 335xi Maintenance Recommendations Please.

08-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Stjopey
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

New Used 2008 335xi Maintenance Recommendations Please.

Just purchased a 2008 335xi with 45k miles and obviously out of warranty. I wanted to do a full maintenance because I am not sure what the previous owner has or hasn't done to the car. All regularly scheduled maintenance has been done during the warranty period but after reading the forums and mike miller's recommended schedule, I figure it would be better to be safe than sorry in maintenance is concerned.

Also I am planning on putting in the JB4 / BMS Cone Filters so better to have new fluids than not to.

So here's what I am thinking, it might be overkill please let me know. I don't want to spend more money than I have to.

Spark Plugs
Break Fluids
Break Pads (Computer says 50k front and 60k back)
Cleaning of carbon deposits (what does this entail? expensive? maybe do later?)
Differential Fluids
Gearbox Fluids
Power Steering Fluids
Coolant Fluids

Anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

-Stephen Cheung
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjopey View Post
Break Fluids
Break Pads (Computer says 50k front and 60k back)
1st, they're BRAKES not breaks.
2nd, if you have 50K/60K remaining, why do you want to change them? Perhaps you're confused by what the computer is reporting, so read the manual.
3rd, the computer will remind you for brake fluid flush

Cleaning carbon deposits is a job only for experienced DIY'r - take it to a shop that has the walnut-blasting equipment. If you're not having drivability problems, it's probably not worth doing it.

If you have an automatic, I might wait another 15K before changing/flushing it. Don't forget the A/C filter (microfilter).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Stjopey
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
1st, they're BRAKES not breaks.
2nd, if you have 50K/60K remaining, why do you want to change them? Perhaps you're confused by what the computer is reporting, so read the manual.
3rd, the computer will remind you for brake fluid flush

Cleaning carbon deposits is a job only for experienced DIY'r - take it to a shop that has the walnut-blasting equipment. If you're not having drivability problems, it's probably not worth doing it.

If you have an automatic, I might wait another 15K before changing/flushing it. Don't forget the A/C filter (microfilter).
Thanks, I just checked and it's 50k/60k remaining, that's great. BRAKE fluid flush is in 2 months, so it shouldn't be a problem.
The car is a 6-sp.
What about the rest?

-Stephen Cheung
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjopey View Post
The car is a 6-sp.
What about the rest?

-Stephen Cheung
I think that changing them at 45K is a great idea - they've never been changed.

Might check history to see if spark plugs have been changed - the original interval was 45K (but some dealers reneged.)
Appreciate 0